“Excellent hotel - even better staff”
Review of The House Hotel

The House Hotel
Ranked #8 of 45 Hotels in Galway
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel - even better staff”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Once again, I had the pleasure to stay in the House Hotel for Galway Race Week.

This was my fifth consecutive year at the hotel during Race Week and I'm already looking forward to next year's visit.

The House Hotel is very well located, just by the Spanish Arch and maybe 50 yards from the bottom of Quay Street. Yet despite this central location, the hotel offers a very calming and relaxed environment - even during Race Week, which is some achievement! Certainly, the hotel's decor is a welcome change to the other city centre hotels in Galway - most of which I have stayed in.

The public areas of the hotel are very vibrantly decorated yet equally comfortable. The hotel's bar and restaurant is very good and the cooked-to-order breakfast excellent, with a wide offering. Equally, the bedrooms are very comfortable with bright and well-designed bathrooms. I slept soundly on all five nights of my stay.

However, what really sets the hotel apart is the staff. I cannot praise Margaret and her team enough, ensuring that my stay was, once again, memorable. The staff are welcoming and professional - nothing seems too much trouble. All of my contact with the staff, from check in to check out, was perfect. The welcome is better than any other hotel I have stayed in.

All told, I cannot recommend this gem of a hotel enough. I've stayed in many of Galway's hotels, both during Race Week and during other visits, and the House Hotel is without doubt my hotel of choice in what is a tremendous city.

Room Tip: Room 301 (the suite) is great for those wanting some extra space. It is very, very comfortable, with...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
galwayguests, General Manager at The House Hotel, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Dearest Return Guest,

Thank you firstly for returning to us and being such a valued customer. It is such a compliment to us when we see valued guests returning year after year.

We're thrilled you enjoy your stays with us and we very much look forward to welcoming you back next race week again.

Kindest regards and many thanks,

Margaret Jenkins

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Love this hotel - great cocktails, great food and fantastic service. It's located right in the heart of Galway city, with shops, bars, sightseeing and great restaurants on your door step. The decor is modern and fashionable so it would be great for a girls trip away or even a couples break. Cant wait to book another weekend away here!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for leaving such a positive review of your recent stay with us.

It is such a pleasure to read you enjoyed every aspect of the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you and your friends back to us in the future.

Margaret Jenkins
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Perfect in every way....great food, decor gorgeous, lovely staff, so central.. and great value for money. Well done House hotel Galway...very hard to find a good alrounder. Will definately be back and spreading the news about your great offers.

Room Tip: Make sure windows are closed during the night. There are double windows that keep out the noise if y...
1 Thank Delphine D
galwayguests, General Manager at The House Hotel, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving your amazing comments after your recent visit with us through Tripadvisor.

We appreciate great feedback and look forward to welcoming you and yours back in the near future.

Maragret Jenkins
Palm Harbor, Florida
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Love, love, loved this hotel. Beautifully decorated, staff was very professional and helpful, and loved the location as well as the restaurant/bar area. traveling from the United States we loved the air conditioning and the walk in shower for my mom who is 82 years young. the shower is most important allowing my mom privacy in her own room within having to climb into a tub to shower. All newly decorated and enjoyed the breakfast package with the room before we headed out for site seeing each day. Front desk was very helpful with our travel road maps and recommendations about the roads. Will definitely recommend and stay here again.

Room Tip: Request a walk in shower if you have a need for one.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
galwayguests, Front Office Manager at The House Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Teresa,

Thank you so much for taking the time to feed back your wonderful comments following your recent stay with us.

It was such a pleasure to accommodate you and your family members during your recent visit. We're delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.

It is such a delight to read your comments regarding our staff members, what a wonderful accolade. Our guests are very special to us and we want them to have a warm, welcoming and wonderful stay.

We truly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best Regards,
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

I had been very excited to stay in this hotel as I had heard fantastic things.
Firstly I loved the decor and furnishings- quite girly and quirky.
The hotel reception itself is smaller than I imagined but not an issue, just something I noticed. The bedroom was lovely and it was clean as you would expect. The bathroom light kept flickering however on and off however it obviously didn't bother us that much that we felt the need to complain about it.
The food was fantastic. Breakfast was probably the best breakfast I've ever had in a hotel. Lots of options too. We had dinner one of the nights too and it was very nice , I'd definitely eat here again.

However the price is quite high to stay here.. Although prices in Galway are expensive especially in the summer and it is in a prime location. Having to pay for parking while paying such high hotel prices was a let down.
All in all though I really enjoyed the House Hotel and it's fantastic location!

Stayed August 2014
Dear Katie,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments via tripadvisor.

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed the lovely decor in our Lobby area and we too love pink here at The House. Even our Receptionists uniform is a funky pink!

Thank you for your positive feedback re cleanliness of your bedroom and also for mentioning the problem with flickering light in the bathroom. We have checked lights in all bathrooms immediately & resolved an issue.

I will pass on your compliments also to our chef’s who enjoy hearing all comments from our valued guest.

As a centrally located Hotel unfortunately we do not have our own car park. ‘Hynes Yard’ Multi-storey Car Park which we have an arrangement with is located only 100 yards away from our Hotel and it offer reduced rate of €7.00 for 24h to our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Little jewel at the heart of Galway city. Stayed there on the first night of my honeymoon. Served food late and had a wonderful cocktail bar. Room was spacious and modern, food was tasty and portions were generous. No on site parking but facilities were close by.

Dear Damien,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the House Hotel and our Cocktail Bar & Bistro. It is always such a pleasure to hear great and positive feedback from our valued customers and I'm delighted to read you thoroughly enjoyed your stay from start to finish of your honeymoon.

We look forward to having you and yours visit our Hotel in the near future.

Best Regards,
Martha Normantowicz,
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014

My wife and I have just spent two nights at the House Hotel in Galway, Ireland (14th and 15th August 2014.)
Not the cheapest place to stay in Galway but very good value for money and right in the thick of things downtown and just around the corner from the "Latin Quarter."
It is about 2 minutes walk to this place which is where all the bars and restaurants are. They have a pink and mauve themed reception area which as a bloke I found a little overpowering at first but the ladies will certainly like it.The rooms are quite unique in that the decor is pretty non standard and very individual. I found our room very light and airy. The bed, duvet and pillows were probably the best I have slept in and on in over 40 years of staying in good hotels. On our first morning I was awoken with very loud traffic noise from trucks making there way probably to the docks for the early morning crossing to the Aran Islands. However this was due to me leaving the double glazed windows open! I hadn't noticed there was an air conditioner in the room (which actually worked properly!). I slept like a log the next night.
I have to mention that the staff who are predominantly female were excellent in their attention to detail, particularly when serving breakfast. They were all very polite and full of advice about things to do locally. They all appeared to be very happy and enjoying working at the hotel.
We didn't dine there in the evening but had breakfast on both days. There is a self service buffet but not for hot food. They do however unusually serve fresh salmon. I can't recall seeing this as a breakfast option in any other hotel. This is usually because it is quite expensive. A nice touch.
However the full Irish breakfast was superb. Non of it was pre cooked, packaged stuff which most hotels seem to serve these days. I suspect that most of it is locally sourced and it tasted wonderful. The sausages were superb along with the white and black pudding. I didn't eat the puddings this morning as I was full up. They will do your eggs to order as well. Fried, scrambled or whatever.
All in all a very pleasant, different hotel experience which as a seasoned hotel veteran I thoroughly enjoyed. I would recommend the House Hotel to anyone staying in Galway. We shall certainly stay there again when visiting.

Room Tip: All rooms are individually furnished and none are the same. Ours was superbly furnished and decorate...
Dear Dennis,

First and foremost thank you for taking the time to leave a review following your recent stay here at The House Hotel. We really do appreciate your lovely comments in relation to our décor.

I'm delighted to read that your room met with your expectations and you enjoyed the comfort of our new bedding . We aim to have a home away from home experience for our valued guests and I'm happy you picked up on this during your stay.

It was a pleasure to read you enjoyed your Breakfast on both mornings. Our Head Chef and his team are using locally sourced ingredients to ensure that each dish is full of mouth watering flavours that guests will leave wanting to come back over and over again not only for Breakfast but also on our lunch & evening menu.

Thank you for recommending our Hotel and we wish to welcome you back to stay with us in future.