“Quality of location, service and ambience was head and shoulders above rest.”
Review of Abacus Guest House

Abacus Guest House
Ranked #43 of 186 Galway B&B and Inns
metro Washington, DC
“Quality of location, service and ambience was head and shoulders above rest.”
Reviewed 20 June 2010

I was traveling with a friend to several cities of which Galway was one. The managers were responsive, engaging and very friendly. The amount of sunlight coming into the room was great; and our room was very clean. A full breakfast is included in the rate--because of my special diet (non-gluten, no red meat), I requested special accommodations. The managers were very accommodating and seemed to take special pleasure in ensuring that our stay was pleasant. Also, the neighborhood was safe enough for me to walk home from the downtown area at night. Ayaana T.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Globetrot09

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Sayreville, New Jersey
Reviewed 8 June 2010

Enjoyed the place, comfortable, food good. One minor problem - had to park car on street (half on sidewalk, half on street) due to limited parking. Location is a mile or 2 from city center

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Zafra
Reviewed 17 May 2010

I stayed at the Abacus Guesthouse for 2 weeks in May 2010.My friend Carmen and I enjoyed the room, very comfortable and clean...and I specially enjoyed the conversation with the family, all of them are very friendly and helpful. Thanks for all, Gleens and Louise, I promise to visit you when I come back to Galway!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Donegal
Reviewed 4 May 2010

We stayed at the Abacus Guesthouse for a few days in April. The guesthouse is in an ideal location to the Bon Secours Hospital, where my husband was having an operation. Noel and Breege were extremely welcoming and friendly, making my stay very enjoyable. We are hoping to stay there again soon when we spend a few days touring Galway. The guesthouse is in an ideal location for anyone who wants to enjoy the delights of Galway city or spend some time touring the surrounding countryside. We have recommended the guesthouse to many of our friends and we would highly recommend it to any visitors to Galway because of the high quality, friendly warm service.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
maltkemp
Reviewed 3 May 2010

Very friendly service. I stayed together with my parents from Germany for a weekend. The breakfast was very good, nice full irish breakfast and very friendly service. The plac eis close to the city; however, the area is quite and nice. We really liked that we could take the bus to the city or just walk. Furthermore, we took a tour to Cliffs of Moher. The bus picked us up directly at the Abacus B&B, awesome!!!

My parents and me, we would recommend the B&B to everyone.

Enjoy........

Greetings

Malte Kempen

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Dallas
Reviewed 1 April 2010

The Abacus is a nice, basic guest house in Galway. The rooms are clean, lots of hot water, good Wi Fi, and a comfortable bed. It's about a 20-30 minute walk to downtown, or 5 to 10 minutes by bus. We were given a map, directions, and suggestions when we arrived. There is a small parking area in front, but it is tight and doesn't hold too many cars, however we had no problem. Our stay did not include breakfast, which was 5 Euro more per person.
What would have made our stay even better would be if the heat were on longer in both the morning and evening.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Abacus-Management, Owner at Abacus Guest House, responded to this review, 8 April 2010
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay .

Your comments re: ample hot water, good wifi, comfortable bed and standard of cleanliness are much appreciated.

Regarding to the heat level in your room, all rooms are thermostatically controlled. Many of our guests make constant requests to lower the heat level, therefore, it is kept at a level acceptable to the majority of our guests.
Rusman82
Reviewed 14 March 2010

You will not find a more hospitable, accommodating B&B in all of Ireland. Breege and Louise are positively wonderful people and will bend over backwards to make you feel at home, and they're also both a pleasure to talk to - I found myself just wanting to stay in and talk with them all day instead of going out driving to see the tourist attractions. The rooms are well-laid out, spacious, and charming. Breakfast is quite delicious - you can get your traditional "Irish full," or something lighter if you like. The location is good, a short cab trip from the center of Galway; it's also easily walkable if the weather is nice. Really, I cannot envisage a nicer experience, this place is the epitome of Irish hospitality and I will not soon forget it. If every place we stayed were even half as good as Abacus then every vacation would be truly wonderful. Thank you both, and hopefully one day we will have the pleasure of being your guests again.

-Russ