“Won't be back”

Ranked #18 of 54 Speciality Lodging in Galway
Holywood, United Kingdom
“Won't be back”
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I stayed here with a few friends over the race weekend and will not be back. The apartments were well located, and to the majority clean, and well appointed, hairdryers etc. However the kitchen was ill equipped. There was no coffee or tea, or sugar or other condiments that I am used to finding in self catering apartments meaning that we had to stock all of this ourselves. In addition the cups/plates/cutlery were not clean and all required washing before we used them. The owner was openly aggressive and not pleasant to deal with once we had been given the keys. Perhaps he is more polite to family groups or retired couples, but a group of 30 somethings from Belfast (who are all professionals) were not made to feel welcome to the point of fact that we were prepared to leave however alternative accommodation could not be arranged at such short notice. In summation there is plenty of choice in Galway that would be better value for money and a more relaxing place to stay. Not to be recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank KC4Tea

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
ireland
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Just back from 3 nights brill holiday with three perfect warm and sunny days in Arus Grattan. We picked these apts based on Tripadvisor reviews. We had no problem booking via email and apt was booked as soon as owner received our deposit. The apts are quite easy to find and are almost on the prom at Salthill. The location is fantastic, just 5/10 mins easy walk from the main area of restaurants/bars, Aquarium, Leisureland, etc. Parking is under the apts and is very safe. The owner met us when we arrived and went through all details of keys, water heating, recommending restaurants, shops etc. We met him again around 11,30am the day we left to hand over the keys.

The apt we stayed in had a side sea view from the sitting room/kitchen area. It had a balcony off the living room and another at the back off the bedrooms. The kitchen was very well equipped and the apt had wifi, which was very weak in some rooms but was fine for hols. The apts has a lift.

For us the best part of these apts is the location. I could repeat 'location' a million times but their location is really outstanding. Across the road is the promenade, left for 20 mins to end of prom and 15/20mins right will bring you into historic Galway. Perfect place for walking. Owner recommended Italian Restaurants, we went to one, L'Osteria Da Roberta, and it was fab, probably the best pizza I ever tasted.

Loved this place and hope to return next year but would try for the apts in front with the amazing views.

Room Tip: While the apt was perfect, if you can try and get the apts at the front with the full sea view!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Belfast
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Technically I wasn't staying here but had called round for an hour to meet my sister and her friends who were staying here before they went out for the night and experienced first hand the way they were treated by the owner! Even having worked in the tourism sector in the past myself I have never seen such bad customer service and lack of respect. The owner was constantly keeping an eye on the place and accused them of having more people staying there than they had booked for which was not the case. Myself and a couple of others called in before going out for the night but there was no music being played or rowdy behaviour and we left by 10pm yet the owner quite aggressively gave my sister a warning and lurked outside the apartment until we went out for the evening. We tried our best to reason with him and explain the situation but he would not listen at all. It was very disappointing given the fact that the apartment itself was decent enough and in a handy enough location yet they were treated by the owner like they were a bunch of school kids. It would have been perfectly understandable if the situation had been that they had been making too much noise/neighbours complaining during the night or too many people staying but this was not the case. As a regular goer to Galway i'm well aware that there are many other better places to stay which are just as handy, better value for money and you don't have to put up with unnecessary hassle which is the last thing you need on a weekend away!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Belfastguy
Isle of Palms, South Carolina
Reviewed 11 August 2012

On this, my six month anniversary, I thought I'd finally take the time to sit down and write a long overdue review for the Arus Grattan Apartments, Galway, where we stayed (18-25FEB12) for the first leg of our honeymoon.

I was in charge of the honeymoon and was thrilled when my bride suggested Éire as our destination around June/July of '11, and especially so because it would be her first trip over. I knew we'd probably be looking at 10-12 days in Éire, starting in the West and finishing up back in Dublin. The hunt for accommodations was on.

I searched far and wide, contacting a number of B&Bs and hotels, when someone suggested the "self-catering" option. The thought was very much appealing, as I don't mind cooking and the two of us historically don't make much of a mess. Galway very much stood out as a good base of operations from which would could set out on daily sightseeing trips. Salthill seemed even better, as although solid nightlife is a must for us, we wanted to be able to step back from the hustle and bustle that we thought we'd find in Galway City proper. Scouring the internet, I came upon Arus Grattan and contacted Seán Treacy via email. The reviews were mostly favorable (you cannot please everyone, and some writing bad reviews have "agendas") and soon thereafter I had a deposit check in the mail.

We arrived at DUB from CHS the morning of 18FEB at roughly 0800hrs, secured our rental car, and made our way to Galway on the M6 at a leisurely pace. I'll confess that our first meal in Éire was at a McDonald's in Athlone. We were a bit tired from the overnight flight and were looking forward to napping for a few hours when we got to Galway. Our borrowed GPS was a bit out of date, so it was a little sporty finding our way around Galway that morning, but we followed the signs to Salthill and The Prom until I saw the building pictured on the website.

OK...great...we're here...now what?

We hadn't gotten a phone yet and were at a loss as to how we were going to contact Mr. Treacy, In true American fashion, I left my bride in the car and walked over to the gas station for a Coke and to ask if I could borrow their phone. After my "how the hell do I get checked in" sob story, the attendant said, "there's Seán's house...go on over." I walked over, found his lovely wife offloading groceries from the car, and she told me she'd send him by.

No more than ten minutes later, he arrived, introduced himself, and I realized that I had passed and greeted him in the parking lot twenty minutes prior.

We were in business.

Seán, right off the bat, impressed me with the hospitality that is the hallmark of the Irish people. He treated my bride like a queen (not THE Queen :-) ) and we boarded the elevator to see where we'd be staying for the next seven days. Booking accommodations from 3500 miles away is a leap of faith, and I was about to find out if one of my first decisions of my marriage was a good one.

We arrived at Apartment 10, and with a wink and smile Seán opened the door and began the tour. We found brightly lit, clean rooms, and nice beds on which we'd put our tired bodies. The kitchen was well-equipped with everything I would need to prepare full Irish breakfasts before we headed out for the day.

Great, huh?

Then he opened the curtains.

Wow.

WOW!

Before us was a FANTASTIC view of Galway Bay, something I long to see every morning. Of course, we had intended to get in a little exercise on The Prom...oh, well.

As for the location, there were pubs nearby in Salthill as well as plenty of restaurants and grocery stores to fill the refrigerator. We ventured into Galway City most nights, setting up shop at what easily became our home-away-from-home, The Merry Fiddler Bar, Prospect Hill, Galway City. Late nights there were great, and Domino's Pizza was two doors down.

Did I mention the view from Apartment 10?

In any event, the accommodations were everything we needed/wanted. Seán was attentive to our every need and was easy to get on the phone when we had questions. Having two bedrooms gave us a good bit of room to work with, and we're looking forward to bringing another couple with us next time. The washer and dryer was certainly a plus, as I hate traveling with dirty laundry.

Ladies and gentlemen, if you're looking to go the self-catering route in Galway, you will do well to choose the Arus Grattan Holiday Apartments.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money for the penthouse/Apartment 10!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jimmy R
Reviewed 6 August 2012 via mobile

The other terrible and poor reviews on here are definitely worth taking notice of!
The owner Sean Treacy, proved to be completely irrational, aggressive and most arrogant. We were 4 girls staying there for the weekend for the races and a birthday celebration. I invited a few friends who were staying in various other hotels to join us at the apartment for pre drinks before going out for the night. We were not making any significant noise there was only 8 of us there. At about 9pm the owner buzzed at our door telling me how this was unacceptable, yet we were making no noise. I was then approached in the car park when talking to a friend, he was aggressive pointing his finger and telling me that he would give us all our money back if we vacated the apartment right away - totally irrational behaviour. I was trying to make him see sense that we were going out for the night and there was no one staying there that should not have been there, he wouldn't listen just continued to be rude.
If you stay here you will get no peace what so ever from the owner constantly checking up, lurking in the building watching your every move. Certainly made 4 girls in their late 20's feel very uneasy staying there! When it came to checking out on Sunday we left the place in good order and as we were leaving the building Sean Treacy walked straight by completely blanking us. Highly unprofessional!!
Aside from this appalling treatment we did not let it ruin our weekend, if anything it gave us four girls a right giggle that someone could be so irrational!!
There are plenty of nice places to stay in Galway please don't give your money to this man!!!

Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Scraggy P
Texas
Reviewed 17 July 2012

We stayed in a two bedroom with a sliver of a sea view and were quite pleased with the accommodations and location. Sean Treacy is helpful and full of tips to get the most of the Galway flavor. We would definitely return. The washer/ dryer combo was a plus to help us get through an 18 day trek through Ireland and The Netherlands. The only complaint was we never got instructions for the Internet, but we finally found a wifi to freeload on. This was a much better experience than a hotel and very affordable at less than $150/ night for two bedrooms and two baths.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Lincolnton, Georgia
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Arus Grattan was light, spacious, clean, and well equipped. The view from the balcony was very nice. Good location, being near the Promenade, a grocery store, pubs and resturants. The walk into town was a little longer than expected, which can be a tiny problem with the fickle Irish weather. However, a city bus stop is near. The owner was very helpful; he even checked in on us twice to make sure that we were getting along okay. We would stay in Arus Grattan again.

Room Tip: Ask for an apartment with a sea view.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple