“Location - that's it.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Chicago, Illinois
“Location - that's it.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

Hotel Meyrick is in a great location for Galway. There is no doubt about that. If location is all that matters to you - stay here! As for the actual hotel, though, we were very disappointing.

The outside of the hotel is stunning. Absolutely gorgeous. Even the entrance and lobby are beautiful. Then we go to our room. It is up stairs and down a lot of hallways. The hallways get increasingly less nice - you start to smell smoke and sewage - and then you get to your room. We were in the annex.

I had seen here on Trip Advisor warnings about this - but thought "no way". I didn't think it would be true and I certainly thought I would have gotten a nicer room. The room smells of stale smoke (despite having a non smoking room), there is mold all over the bathroom, the sheets were dirty (blood stains on the pillow), and the paint was literally falling off of the ceiling. I was so appalled.

It is *not* what you think you are going to get when you see this hotel on the outside. Unless of course, you look around the corner and spot the annex (there are photos of this if you go to users photos above).

I felt deceived, dirty and very disappointed in our stay. I would have stayed around the corner at the new(er) Radisson or found a nicer local hotel before staying here if I could do it again.

I guess that is what I get for not listening to the warnings I saw here!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Michelle S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
Belmullet, Co. Mayo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

An ideal venue when meeting friends for a light lunch or coffee in the heart of Galway, elegant service, refinement and wonderful food without a hefty price tag. Rest your weary bones for an hour here during your shopping and allow yourself to drift into another world where people show they care about you. Try the fish chowder - it was the best I've had yet! Cappuccino drinker said hers was amazing! 5 stars here - for everything right to the washrooms! Car parking within a short walk as well!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HotelMeyrickManager, Manager at Hotel Meyrick, responded to this review, 22 December 2013
Dear DromCaoin,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience at Hotel Meyrick.

We are delighted that our service levels have reached your expectations.We will pass your kind comments regarding the chowder to our chef he will be delighted to hear such a positive feedback from our patrons.

Thank you once again for your time and i hope next time you will not only meet your Friend at Hotel Meyrick but also will stay with us.

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

Great location to explore Galway city. Easy walking. Safe environment for single gals. Lovely staff and rooms are reasonable size. If you can, book a suite overlooking Eyre Square. Restaurant for Breakfast is nice, organized, staff are happy and helpful. Bar is a great place to hang out in the evening, serving food and specials for lunch. Plenty of seating. Main lobby is equipped to take in locals for high tea and the atmosphere is great!
Spa treatments are great, although the spa could use a facelift! Outdoor hot tub on the roof a plus!

Room Tip: Choose a suite or room overlooking Eyre Square if you can!
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HotelMeyrickManager, Manager at Hotel Meyrick, responded to this review, 1 December 2013
Dear IrelandGirlToo,

Thank you for taking tie to write this warm review.

We are glad to read that you have enjoyed so many things about our hotel and from your picture we can see that you were staying with us during festive season and hopefully got a chance to do some shopping in Galway Christmas Market.

Your comments have been taken on board by our management team and will be addressed with relevant department.

Thank you once again for your time and hope you will come back again in the near future.

Leicester, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed here last week for two nights. The hotel was fairly central and very quiet, so I was delighted to be upgraded to a suite. Like the other reviewer, I had two gorgeous nights of he disturbed sleep on the most comfortable mattress I've slept in a hotel for years! It really is like stepping back in time; my suite and the common areas of the hotel reminded me of Downton Abbey! Subdued lighting, white table cloths, sparkling cutlery and crockery all made for the most lovely welcome to breakfast. I ordered scrambled eggs both days and ate it with smoked salmon from the cold buffet - yum!! In terms of service, I cannot fault it, from the moment I checked in to the time I left I was met with a friendly Irish welcome, sadly lacking in so many hotels. The only feedback I did give is that it's very hard to spot the hotel from the road as there's no sign at street level, only at a height way above the hotel which you can't spot when driving. Other than is, I really would recommend the hotel, it's such a reasonable price for the service and experience. Will definitely stay the on my next visit to Galway and will try to make use of some of the facilities.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
HotelMeyrickManager, Manager at Hotel Meyrick, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Dear Scarysezzer,

Thank you for taking time to write this review.

We are very happy to read that you had an enjoyable stay here at Hotel Meyrick. It is great to know that yet another customer left Hotel Meyrick with the smile and nice memories. We will pass you kind words to all our staff members. Thank You.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

I was in Galway on a business trip for a night and booked in this hotel. I was so swept away by its grandure. I thought it was beautifully presented, both receptions areas, restaurant and rooms. My rooms was beautiful and spacious. The bed was so comfortable (almost like a hug) and the bathroom spotless and tastefully decorated. I used the spa twice - the gym is tired but don't consider that to be important (all excerise is the same regardless or surroundings). I spent an evening and a morning in the Canadian Spa (outdoor Jaccuzzi) in November it was wonderful the views over Galway aren't spectacular but they are interesting. But without a doubt the hotel's overall experience was made by the wonderful staff - all very polite, smiling and helpful. An absolute pleasure to stay and I will be back again some day.

Dear JMML18,

We are grateful for taking time to post this review.

We are glad that you and your friends had a wonderful time here at Hotel Meyrick, as we expect nothing less that excellent service of ourselves. Our staff will be trilled to read your comments as they work very hard to make every guest feel special.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we are looking forward to your return.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

Well worth a stay and if you want central it's perfect! It is an oldie and kept clean and the junior suite was perfect! Very happy with my stay! Bar downstairs great for watching some sport while the wife shops! Staff nice and Breakie could do more but for the price it's fine! No real problems only your car gets taken from you as it's not kept local but it's makes you walk every where which is fine as every where is locally walkable!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Peter K,

We are very grateful to you for having posted your review here on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us - Thank You.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Hotel Meyrick and we hope that you will come back and visit again soon.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

Attended a wedding in Galway at the Meyrick in early November and was very impressed with the hotel. Lovely, clean, quiet and comfortable room with a fabulous bathroom. Friendly, helpful staff. Wifi, parking, and a delicious breakfast. Great ambience. Beautiful architecture and fabulous location. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HotelMeyrickManager, Manager at Hotel Meyrick, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Dear ScarlettViolet,

Thank you for taking time to post this comment.

We are glad to read that you had such a wonderful time here at Hotel Meyrick especially that you were visiting Galway for such a great occasion like a wedding. We feel that it is very important that all guests of our hotel leave with happy memories and it seems that we have ticked this box this time.

Thank you once again for this lovely review and we cant wait to be welcoming you back in the near future.