“Excellent Food but Avoid the Annex Rooms”
Review of Hotel Meyrick

Ranked #20 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We stayed at the Meyrick on November 3rd-4th, 2013 as part of a group tour. The location of the hotel is excellent; almost everything you'd care to do in Galway is within walking distance. The dinners in the hotel restaurant were top notch and the breakfast was good as well, although the buffet layout becomes difficult when a lot of people are eating at once.

Our room (406) was located in the annex portion of the hotel, and feels as disconnected from the rest of the hotel as it appears from the street. The room sits above a roadway and overlooks the bus station, so if it's warmer and you need to open the windows be prepared for engine idling noise and diesel exhaust. We didn't have to worry about the windows though because the radiator heat in our room did not work at all. Thankfully the staff were very friendly and quickly provided a plug-in electric heater when I called the front desk.

Overall, I would consider staying here again, but certainly not in the annex rooms.

Room Tip: Avoid the annex rooms at all cost.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,528)

Reviewed 5 December 2013

Meyrick Hotel is situation in the perfect position in the square, The staff were reallypleasant at all times.

But I have to say that was about it!

I was so dissapointed with the room we had, it was out in the annex, connecting the city with the bus depot, there was a lot of noise in the early morning, quiet disturbing when you are on holiday, The room itself wasn't exactly what I was expecting of a 4* hotel,
I have stayed in many 4* hotels this is not one of them.
Breakfast while plentiful was quiet tasteless, we had booked for five nights,
After the fifth night to be honest, I was glad to leave.

What a pity this hotel can't get it self together as I say,
it has the prime spot in Galway City what a waste!!!!!!

Room Tip: Definately not the 4* experience I was expecting.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Catherine441592
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I recently enjoyed an amazing stay at Hotel Meyrick. Even before I arrived I was incredibly impressed by the reservations staff, they were friendly, helpful and extremely efficient. We were welcomed to the hotel by a very friendly and professional receptionist. We went to our beautiful suite on the second floor overlooking the continental Christmas market on Eyre Square. We enjoyed a delicious meal in the hotels restaurant where the staff were absolutely wonderful.
The spa is lovely and I had a wonderful hot stone massage which I couldn't recommend highly enough. Once again, as in every other area in the hotel, the staff were wonderful. The outdoor hot tub on the roof of the 5th floor provides a touch of luxury.
It was a really impressive stay. I don't think I have ever stayed in a hotel where EVERY member of staff was exceptional!
Well done guys. I'm looking forward to our next trip there already!

Room Tip: We had the corner suite on the 2nd floor and it was spacious and elegant with beautiful high ceiling...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joysie
HotelMeyrickManager, Manager at Hotel Meyrick, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2013

Dear Joysie,

Thank you for your wonderful comments and thank you also, most sincerely for choosing to stay here in Hotel Meyrick. All on the team are delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay with us.

Your positive feedback regarding our reservations team,Spa treatments, the quality of food and customer service you received is most welcome. We are all delighted that like so many others you received the true Hotel Meyrick experience.

We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back at some stage in the future.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Hotel Meyrick is in a great location for Galway. There is no doubt about that. If location is all that matters to you - stay here! As for the actual hotel, though, we were very disappointing.

The outside of the hotel is stunning. Absolutely gorgeous. Even the entrance and lobby are beautiful. Then we go to our room. It is up stairs and down a lot of hallways. The hallways get increasingly less nice - you start to smell smoke and sewage - and then you get to your room. We were in the annex.

I had seen here on Trip Advisor warnings about this - but thought "no way". I didn't think it would be true and I certainly thought I would have gotten a nicer room. The room smells of stale smoke (despite having a non smoking room), there is mold all over the bathroom, the sheets were dirty (blood stains on the pillow), and the paint was literally falling off of the ceiling. I was so appalled.

It is *not* what you think you are going to get when you see this hotel on the outside. Unless of course, you look around the corner and spot the annex (there are photos of this if you go to users photos above).

I felt deceived, dirty and very disappointed in our stay. I would have stayed around the corner at the new(er) Radisson or found a nicer local hotel before staying here if I could do it again.

I guess that is what I get for not listening to the warnings I saw here!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Michelle S
Reviewed 1 December 2013

An ideal venue when meeting friends for a light lunch or coffee in the heart of Galway, elegant service, refinement and wonderful food without a hefty price tag. Rest your weary bones for an hour here during your shopping and allow yourself to drift into another world where people show they care about you. Try the fish chowder - it was the best I've had yet! Cappuccino drinker said hers was amazing! 5 stars here - for everything right to the washrooms! Car parking within a short walk as well!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
HotelMeyrickManager, Manager at Hotel Meyrick, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2013

Dear DromCaoin,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience at Hotel Meyrick.

We are delighted that our service levels have reached your expectations.We will pass your kind comments regarding the chowder to our chef he will be delighted to hear such a positive feedback from our patrons.

Thank you once again for your time and i hope next time you will not only meet your Friend at Hotel Meyrick but also will stay with us.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Great location to explore Galway city. Easy walking. Safe environment for single gals. Lovely staff and rooms are reasonable size. If you can, book a suite overlooking Eyre Square. Restaurant for Breakfast is nice, organized, staff are happy and helpful. Bar is a great place to hang out in the evening, serving food and specials for lunch. Plenty of seating. Main lobby is equipped to take in locals for high tea and the atmosphere is great!
Spa treatments are great, although the spa could use a facelift! Outdoor hot tub on the roof a plus!

Room Tip: Choose a suite or room overlooking Eyre Square if you can!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
HotelMeyrickManager, Manager at Hotel Meyrick, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2013

Dear IrelandGirlToo,

Thank you for taking tie to write this warm review.

We are glad to read that you have enjoyed so many things about our hotel and from your picture we can see that you were staying with us during festive season and hopefully got a chance to do some shopping in Galway Christmas Market.

Your comments have been taken on board by our management team and will be addressed with relevant department.

Thank you once again for your time and hope you will come back again in the near future.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed here last week for two nights. The hotel was fairly central and very quiet, so I was delighted to be upgraded to a suite. Like the other reviewer, I had two gorgeous nights of he disturbed sleep on the most comfortable mattress I've slept in a hotel for years! It really is like stepping back in time; my suite and the common areas of the hotel reminded me of Downton Abbey! Subdued lighting, white table cloths, sparkling cutlery and crockery all made for the most lovely welcome to breakfast. I ordered scrambled eggs both days and ate it with smoked salmon from the cold buffet - yum!! In terms of service, I cannot fault it, from the moment I checked in to the time I left I was met with a friendly Irish welcome, sadly lacking in so many hotels. The only feedback I did give is that it's very hard to spot the hotel from the road as there's no sign at street level, only at a height way above the hotel which you can't spot when driving. Other than is, I really would recommend the hotel, it's such a reasonable price for the service and experience. Will definitely stay the on my next visit to Galway and will try to make use of some of the facilities.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
HotelMeyrickManager, Manager at Hotel Meyrick, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Dear Scarysezzer,

Thank you for taking time to write this review.

We are very happy to read that you had an enjoyable stay here at Hotel Meyrick. It is great to know that yet another customer left Hotel Meyrick with the smile and nice memories. We will pass you kind words to all our staff members. Thank You.

We hope to see you again in the near future.