“Would be topclass but bedrooms need alot of upgrading”
Review of Hotel Meyrick

Ranked #20 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

I spent two nights with my daughter at Meyrick Hotel - 14-16 June 2014 - the lobby and bar were very nice and relaxing. We loved the piano music on Sat afternoon having a drink in the lobby. The breakfast was excellent - but our bedroom was tiny. The walls were filty - the tiles on the bathroom floor were broken (not what I would expect from a four star hotel) it was very disapointing. We choose to stay in Meyrick for a bit of luxury but it was not so. 2nd morning I complained to reception - they were very apologetic - they reduced the bill a little and offered us a suite on 5th floor. We decided to move to the suite. It was very nice - had a wonderful view. Hotel very central and staff very nice

• Stayed: June 2014
HotelMeyrickManager, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Meyrick, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Mary H29

Thank you for taking time to write this review.

We are delighted to see that you had an enjoyable stay here art the Hotel Meyrick. We will pass your kind comments to all our staff members.

It was disappointing to see that we did not tick every box this time, as this is not the usual feedback we get on a quality of our rooms. We will pass your comments to our Head of accomadation and make sure that on your next visit you will see major improvement.

Management Team

Write a ReviewReviews (1,528)

Reviewed 20 June 2014

This hotel is the worse I've ever stayed at, and I've stayed at so many (USA and Europe). I plan to follow with a detailed review, however, I'm so stunned by the hotel concierge's reaction to a request for an iron that I cannot help writing while I await an iron. After about a dozens rings, I hung up and waited a few minutes before calling back as I thought/assumed they were busy with other guests and I didn't want to interrupt. Calling again apparently pissed off the concierge as her greeting...well...didn't seem very warm and then she barked that one would be brought to our room shortly. As I was thanking her, she loudly hung up the phone. I have always stayed at ice hotels and unfortunately the Hotel Meyrick isn't as nice as I had assumed. Nevertheless, I haven't never need treated so poorly at ANY hotel. Still in shock as I hear a knock on the door ... My husband can answer it. I fear I just may return the rudeness, and I won't be pleased with myself later. Disappointed guest in Galway....

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank AngLee1965
HotelMeyrickManager, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Meyrick, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Anglee1965

Thank you for taking the time to write of your experience at the Hotel Meyrick, we at the Hotel Meyrick do take all our guest feedback in a constructive manner and act upon this as best possible using the information we are given.Your comments regarding the member of concierge has been relayed to the relevant Manager to address with them.

We are sorry to hear that your stay was not what we expect of ourselves at the Hotel Meyrick but we do thank you for bringing this to our attention

Regards

The Management
Eyre Square
Galway

Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice looking hotel, and the oldest in Galway! The staff was very friendly, but for the room I was given I felt the price was a bit much. The bed was hard and uncomfortable, and the room had very little air flow, even with the open window. It got very hot at night as I had to close the window because of the noisy side street below. The bathroom was nice, with a large tub, but it didn't really make up for my two nights of uncomfortable sleep! Also I chose to skip the breakfast on my second day as it was average at best and didn't seem worth heading down for.

In a great location, but personally I didn't think it was worth the money.

Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Melissa G

Hi Melissa G

Thank you for taking the time to write of your experience at the Hotel Meyrick . We do appreciate all feedback from our guests, as without this we are at a loss. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Hotel Meyrick, it is important for us to relay feedback to the various departments in the Hotel and we shall be relaying your kind marks to them all.

We have taken your comments regarding the room on board and will make sure you will see an improvement on your next stay.

Once again thank you for your time.

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on a weekend to Galway. We got 2night with b&b and 1 dinner. The food was as expected. Typical hotel buffet breakfast. Dinner that was included in our price was a limited menu so we paid the extra to order from the a la carte. Again the food was as expected. But the service was great. Each and every member of staff was professional and friendly.

We also had a mud wrap each. Nice but slightly on the expensive side for what we got. The staff in the spa were lovely.

We got a complimentary upgrade to a suite. Huge room and very nicely decorated. More than enough!

The best things about the hotel are the location and the staff (reception, bar, restaurant, spa, housekeeping). Exceptional!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelMeyrickManager, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Meyrick, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear Denisepep

Thank you for sharing your experience at hotel Meyrick with other tripadvisor users.

We are glad to read that you had a lovely stay at Hotel Meyrick, We will pass you kind words to our staff.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I really want to love The Meyrick, formerly the Great Southern Hotel (I'm showing my age!). There's so much right with it. Especially the staff - the level of service you receive is spectacular.

The 4 stars is 5 for the staff and service and 3 for the hotel rooms.

I was on a 2BB1D deal with my boyfriend. We ate in the No 15 restaurant, drank at the Gaslight bar and had massages upstairs at The Square. Fantastic service at all three.

But back to the hotel for now. The bedrooms. Mmmm. They were very standard. And honestly, a bit tired. Nice bed, dressing gowns and slippers and two nice chairs. Tiny TV and tiny bathroom which could do with a really good clean. Top tip - bleach gets rid of mould. The plumbing in the bathroom needs updating. The flush was pretty weak and the temperature on the shower was a bit hit and miss. This was the same with the shower in the spa where the drainage was not good either.

Our room, because of the gorgeous weather, was absolutely boiling hot. Now we shouldn't complain about the good weather but it made the room actually uncomfortable. There was also no wifi in the room. It was available in the bar.

I realise it's a listed building and there's a limit to what they can do in terms of updating it but you can provide either some free standing air con units for the rooms or a desktop fan would be better than nothing and it's easy to get a few more boxes to boost the signal around the hotel.

They've done such a fantastic job with updating the Gaslight bar and the lobby looks great. It's a shame to stop there.

We ate in the No 15 restaurant downstairs on the first evening. We both had veg soup to start which was one of the nicest, tastiest soups I've ever had.

I had the pork loin and he had the chicken for main which came with garlic potatoes and a selection of veg. Both were very good and I liked the fact that you didn't have to pay extra for sides.

We finished with chocolate brownie and a creme brûlée. The brownie was a bit dry, and to be honest, it was the wrong thing for me to order because I bake brownies myself so I'm a bit of a connoisseur and this one wasn't great. The creme brûlée was lovely though. Although there were chunks of apple in it which I think were meant to be there. It didn't need that. It was lovely as it was. We also had a bottle of Languedoc white which was very tasty.

Breakfast was also great. A selection of cold meats, mini pastries and scones, cereals etc and a hot buffet of bacon, sausages, pudding, hash browns and fried eggs. But you could also order a portion of scrambled or poached egg or even kippers should the mood take you.

We had full body massages (50% off treatments on Monday and Tuesday - bargainous!!). The massages were exactly what we needed and the staff at the spa were lovely. We also made good use of the outdoor hot tub. We were lucky with fantastic weather.

The temperature was a bit hit and miss in the showers in the spa and the drainage wasn't great either. Otherwise very good - lots of towels, dressing gowns, slippers, shower gels etc. and a hair dryer.

I hope they continue to update the hotel as best they can because it is such a lovely hotel with really excellent staff.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Niamh 80

Thank you for taking time to write this review.

It was disappointing to see that we did not tick every box this time, We have taken your comments on board and will be talking with the managers in all area discussed Thank you once again for your review and we are looking forward to welcome you at Hotel Meyrick in the near future.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Having a fantastic golftrip in this part of Ireland we decided to spend three nights here. We played at Gort, Galway (Bay) and Connemara. This hotel is perfectly situated at the heart of Galway and very close to a lot of places to eat and drink.
The rooms are very fine and have everything you need.
Breakfast (continental and Irish) is enough to get you started for the day.
The hotel has different places where you can eat and drink. We only used this after having diner and a drink in Galway to have a final pint for the day.
The hotel does not have a parking place where you can park your car yourselfs but it has valet parking. They will park your car nearby, save and sound.

Room Tip: Some single rooms were very hot and not easy to keep or get cool.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear rbrtbmw

Thank you for taking time to write this review.

We are very happy to read that you had an enjoyable stay here at Hotel Meyrick. It is great to know that yet another customer left Hotel Meyrick with the smile and nice memories. We will pass you kind words to our staff. Thank You.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Remember you are going to western Ireland which is old and has fewer people. Monitor your expectations as it is not the same as being in London. The Meyrick hotel is centrally located and adjacent to the train station. If you are traveling via rail the hotel is less than five mins walk; I never heard any train noise from my hotel room.

The Meyrick has an impressive facade that is attractive though a water pressure cleaning treatment could make the difference. The lobby is nice as is the staff. Our room was large enough to accommodate our family of three and it looked out over a park which is just across from the hotel. The ceilings must have been 14 feet high and the windows matched the architecture. Unfortunately, though the windows didn't open but a few inches-- code requirements now everywhere mean there is limited air circulation-- the room was too warm for my Bay Area clan.

I'm a nut about bathrooms. The bathroom was decent and impressive by most standards with marble finishes. My main issue was that the bathroom lighting was too dim especially for putting on contact lenses or makeup and there was not a lot of space to put your stuff. The shower had one of those half doors which meant that there was a breeze on my backside.

Irish breakfast was included with the hotel rate. Servings were an array of fruit, yogurt, toppings, toast, and juices. Protein servings encompassed eggs sunny side up ( you can order eggs your way) along with white and black pudding and bacon. These last items require special notations. The puddings are NOT sweet creamy custards but a meat product. In either case, they are shaped like a small pork sausage or salami patty but contain the following: black pudding is a dark, nearly purple disc that is colored by blood and is made of pork and barley and spices. The white pudding has no blood but is pork, fat, oatmeal and spices. It comes in a roll that you slice and fry. It didn't appeal to me but could be worth a try. Irish bacon is essentially thin ham similar to Canadian bacon-- it is not American style bacon which comes from the pork belly and is smoked. Irish bacon is more like thinly sliced pork loin. Locals call American bacon "streaky bacon" because it is streaked with fat. It is used on hamburgers or in salads.

Be aware that the local students and drinkers (there are lots of them) hang out in the park yelling and singing which could make for a restless night.

A good property all around. Lovely, efficient staff.

Room Tip: Reserve front of building but ask to see other rooms before choosing upon arrival: train sounds may...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Willielabradoodle

We are glad to read that you had a lovely stay at Hotel Meyrick and enjoyed all that Galway has to offer. Galway is full of live and it is very easy to fall in love with it. Regarding Eyre Square you can be assured that this is monitored by police 24/7 and is very safe

We hope to see you again the next time you come in to visit our beautiful city.