“Old style hotel with a modern twist”
Review of Hotel Meyrick

Ranked #18 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This is a two sided review as I had two recent stays in the Meyrick, both for weddings. First stay the room was a basic bed and four walls type room en suite. Fine for the few hours we stayed in it but nothing to write home about and slightly over-priced if anything. Second stay was recently for another wedding, booked on the assumption that we'd be getting the same type of room for a similar inflated price but happy to report that we were given a complimentary upgrade to a junior suite at check in. Room was large, very well decorated and a large comfortable bed and great view overlooking Eyre Square. Breakfast was adequate and what you'd expect for a similar standard hotel. Staff were very pleasant and helpful at check in but check out was quite slow with everyone seeming to be checking out in the 11am-12pm slot and the two check out staff handling that and phone calls to reception to the best of their ability but there was a large queue forming at this stage.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelMeyrickManager, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Meyrick, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Helmet_8

Thank you for taking the time to Wright this review. We do appreciate all feedback from our guests, as without this we are at a loss as to know where we not offering the service we expect to offer our guests
We are glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Hotel Meyrick, it is important for us to relay feedback to the various departments in the Hotel and we shall be relaying your kind marks to them all.
You comments regarding check out normally this doesn’t happen but thank you for bringing it to our attention
Thank you once again for your time and we hope to be welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here in june and really liked the look of the reception and bar area. Rooms are lovely although could do with a bit of updating. Unfortunately I have to say the breakfast was horrible, i don't know if it was due to the fact it was a monday morning and the chef couldn't be bothered after the weekend but was shocking very poor selection and the food that was there was under seasoned and tasteless. It's a shame as I enjoyed my stay but probably won't return again.

Dear PatrickB

You comments regarding your room have been duly noted, we at the Hotel Meyrick are continuously reinvesting in the product and it is always important for us to hear where guests feel we need to improve on our Décor.
The issues you had with breakfast supprises me but i will bring this up with the Head Chef

Hotel Meyrick Management Team
Eyre Square
Galway

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We arrived an hour before advertised check in, were treated to a complimentary coffee in the hall cafe, then brought to our suite, which at 72 sq m / 750 sq feet was extremely spacious, well furnished and had a very pleasant aspect with views over the docks and North Clare mountains. The first evening we ate at No.15 Brasserie in the basement where the waiting staff and sommelier could not have been more knowledgeable or attentive. On the second day we treated ourselves to the afternoon tea, which is in an amazing setting featuring an authentic Westminster pattern marble floor and an in house pianist, the price at €30 for two belies the fact that this tea compared favourablyy with any 5 star hotel we've done in London or Dublin; that evening we ate at the other brasserie in the hotel where the food although less formal was good modern fare; the waiting staff again really pleasant despite the best efforts of our 18 month old daughter!!! No hesitation in recommending this hotel as a luxury indulgence that is surprisingly good value. Will certainly return.

Room Tip: The eastern elevation is quieter as the west elevation Eyre Sq is the centre of Galway nightlife.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear PaddingtonBear3

Thank you for this kind review.

We are delighted to read that you had a wonderful time with us. It is very important for us to know that yet another customer left Hotel Meyrick with some nice memories.

We are looking forward to see you again on your return to our hotel.

Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

This historic hotel (John Wayne was here) is in a perfect location although close to pubs that don't close early. The parties continued through our window but we didn't mind - all part of the experience! Just about everything you could do in two days is within walking distance.

We ended up with an "executive" room which actually means handicap accessible, but after resigning myself to not having a tub it wasn't so bad. The staff offered to move us the second night. The room was always hot, but I think that's indicative to the whole hotel.

The staff throughout this hotel was wonderful. We needed to store our luggage and car while out on a five day equestrian tour and they were very helpful. The restaurant was good and overall a great experience. Don't miss the weekend market and of course the downtown pubs!

Dear GinaW-Ak

Thank you for taking your time to writhe this honest and informative review.

We are delighted to see that you have enjoyed so many things about our hotel, such as bang on city centre location, old world charm and various bars. We will be passing your kind comments to our team.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

I spent two nights with my daughter at Meyrick Hotel - 14-16 June 2014 - the lobby and bar were very nice and relaxing. We loved the piano music on Sat afternoon having a drink in the lobby. The breakfast was excellent - but our bedroom was tiny. The walls were filty - the tiles on the bathroom floor were broken (not what I would expect from a four star hotel) it was very disapointing. We choose to stay in Meyrick for a bit of luxury but it was not so. 2nd morning I complained to reception - they were very apologetic - they reduced the bill a little and offered us a suite on 5th floor. We decided to move to the suite. It was very nice - had a wonderful view. Hotel very central and staff very nice

Dear Mary H29

Thank you for taking time to write this review.

We are delighted to see that you had an enjoyable stay here art the Hotel Meyrick. We will pass your kind comments to all our staff members.

It was disappointing to see that we did not tick every box this time, as this is not the usual feedback we get on a quality of our rooms. We will pass your comments to our Head of accomadation and make sure that on your next visit you will see major improvement.

Thank you once again for your review and we are looking forward to welcome you at Hotel Meyrick in the near future.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

This hotel is the worse I've ever stayed at, and I've stayed at so many (USA and Europe). I plan to follow with a detailed review, however, I'm so stunned by the hotel concierge's reaction to a request for an iron that I cannot help writing while I await an iron. After about a dozens rings, I hung up and waited a few minutes before calling back as I thought/assumed they were busy with other guests and I didn't want to interrupt. Calling again apparently pissed off the concierge as her greeting...well...didn't seem very warm and then she barked that one would be brought to our room shortly. As I was thanking her, she loudly hung up the phone. I have always stayed at ice hotels and unfortunately the Hotel Meyrick isn't as nice as I had assumed. Nevertheless, I haven't never need treated so poorly at ANY hotel. Still in shock as I hear a knock on the door ... My husband can answer it. I fear I just may return the rudeness, and I won't be pleased with myself later. Disappointed guest in Galway....

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank AngLee1965
HotelMeyrickManager, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Meyrick, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Anglee1965

Thank you for taking the time to write of your experience at the Hotel Meyrick, we at the Hotel Meyrick do take all our guest feedback in a constructive manner and act upon this as best possible using the information we are given.Your comments regarding the member of concierge has been relayed to the relevant Manager to address with them.

We are sorry to hear that your stay was not what we expect of ourselves at the Hotel Meyrick but we do thank you for bringing this to our attention

Regards

The Management
Eyre Square
Galway

Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice looking hotel, and the oldest in Galway! The staff was very friendly, but for the room I was given I felt the price was a bit much. The bed was hard and uncomfortable, and the room had very little air flow, even with the open window. It got very hot at night as I had to close the window because of the noisy side street below. The bathroom was nice, with a large tub, but it didn't really make up for my two nights of uncomfortable sleep! Also I chose to skip the breakfast on my second day as it was average at best and didn't seem worth heading down for.

In a great location, but personally I didn't think it was worth the money.

Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Melissa G

Hi Melissa G

Thank you for taking the time to write of your experience at the Hotel Meyrick . We do appreciate all feedback from our guests, as without this we are at a loss. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Hotel Meyrick, it is important for us to relay feedback to the various departments in the Hotel and we shall be relaying your kind marks to them all.

We have taken your comments regarding the room on board and will make sure you will see an improvement on your next stay.

Once again thank you for your time.