“Periwinkle B&B”

and 1 more site!
Periwinkle Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #33 of 189 Galway B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 September 2013

The Periwinkle B&B is cute, clean, and so comfortable, but the best part of this place is the amazing owner, Joan. My sister and I stayed here for 2 nights, and we are both young, so Joan's help with touring suggestions and places to go were priceless information to us. Not only did she give us suggestions, but when we made decisions she personally booked the tours for us. She also makes wonderful breakfast! I could go on and on about how lovely Joan and her property are, and I would highly recommend it to anybody staying in Galway!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Colleen M

Reviewed 9 September 2013

My wife and I decided to go to Ireland for our honeymoon, and we chose to stay in a B&B rather than hotel for a more intimate cultural experience. We chose the Periwinkle on a bit of a whim, based on the fact that the first place we stayed at (vacationing as a couple) was also called the Periwinkle (Cape May, NJ).

Simply stated, the Periwinkle is wonderful! Our host Joan was a sheer delight, sharing many wonderful stories of 'real' Ireland with us, giving us ideas where to go and what to see, and also a very fine cook, as was made quite evident by the gourmet breakfast served every morning (not to mention her amazing paintings and sugar sculptures, which have to be seen to be fully appreciated!).

I would recommend the Periwinkle to anyone looking for a quiet, home-like atmosphere, within a few minutes walk to Galway Bay, and a few more to Galway City, where there are shops, spectacular restaurants, and the best pubs with live music almost every night (go to the Crane Bar, a bit off the main track but well worth the extra walking! - grab a pint a Guinness, a shot of Bushmills, and head upstairs to hear some of the best musicians you'll ever hear, anywhere! :)

The Periwinkle is lovely, as is Joan, our wonderful host, and the combination create a charming atmosphere and welcoming energy that engulfs you immediately! I will also say, for the record, Ireland is filled with some of the nicest, friendliest, down to earth real people I have ever met (and I have been a number of places in the US and abroad, but don't generally bother with reviews, but this time I felt compelled :)

So, if you find that you'll be in or around Galway, spend a few days at the Periwinkle, you will not be disappointed, I assure you! (we stayed for 9 nights!)

Oh, and if you decide to rent a car, remember: drive on the left, and the sheep have the right of way ;)

Slainté!

- Joseph Re, USA

2  Thank Joseph R
Reviewed 24 August 2013

The title pretty much says it all. Joan was super helpful--- I had not planned very well for a day trip out to Inis Mor and Joan took care of everything, calling a company that provides both the bus ride to the port and ferry ride for a very reasonable price. Because she knew the company so well they even went out of their way to pick us up near the B&B (we may well have missed our chance for the day trip if they had not).

The B&B itself is nicely located a bit outside of city center and close to the salt hill prom so it was a bit quieter (which I liked) but still in easy range of everything. Also very near to The Crane, a great pub which has live irish music every night.

1  Thank onho1iday
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Joan is a very good host. If you need information about trips in Galway, she has many good advises. She can order the tour for you. The Irish breakfast is fabulous, and my wife and I love it. She drove her own car to let us catch the tour coach. Thank her very much. The location is near the coast, not very far from the city center.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

My friends and I have just come back from Ireland. We chose Periwinkle and we will definitely go back there next time we go to Galway!!! Joan is a fabulous and welcoming person who makes your stay easy and comfortable.She always gives you a smile and helps you book your tours and whatever you may need to feel at home. The house is clean and cosy and the beds are very comfortable. The breakfasts are really delicious!!! Highly recommended acommodation at just 10 mn walk to the city centre!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Quiet location a couple of minutes' drive from Galway centre and a stone's throw away from the seafront at Salthill (there's just about a sea view from one of the bedrooms upstairs). The rooms were a little on the small side, although the wifi worked well and Joan cooked the best cooked breakfast we had during our tour of Ireland, presentation and taste were excellent. If staying in Galway, make sure to book tickets to the Trad on the Prom which is excellent.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Stayed in the Periwinkle for 2 nights. We had a lovely stay. Joan was a great hostess, lovely hospitality, very comfortable room. Large selection of breakfast's to choose from and the cooking was fab...great value

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple