“Fantastic B&B”

and 1 more site!
Periwinkle Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #31 of 188 Galway B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Not long returned from Periwinkle B & B stayed 2 nights 21 Sept to 23 sept 4 adults in our party in 2 double rooms. Firstly Joan the proprietor is a lovely Lady very helpful and friendly yet professional she helped plan some great trips and her knowledge is excellent, we arrived fairly late from a flight to Dublin and Joan recommended the best, and nearest restaurant to eat in.
The en-suite rooms and whole house are very clean including linen and towels the beds are comfortable, there are tea and coffee facilities in each room and plenty of hanging space and hangers.
The breakfasts are excellent with plenty of choice and special diets catered for (my Husband was looked after with his special diet), apart from full Irish there are gourmet style choices e.g scrambled eggs and salmon all excellently presented with plenty of tea, coffee, juices, toast, fruit, cereal's and porridge if required, the list goes on.
Joan is also a talented artist and some of her work is tastefully displayed around her home and in your room and a pleasure to see. The area is very quiet and a rest full sleep is assured also a rarity that parking is free the house is just a few yards from the sea front, you have your own keys to come and go as you wish.

We wouldn't hesitate to stay here again and would highly recommend.

Room Tip: All rooms equally good don't worry just book.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Periwinkle Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed 13 September 2013

My family and I enjoyed the Periwinkle B&B and found Joan to be a warm and gracious host. The triple room was the smallest that we would have in our 2-week trip in Ireland, and we had to wait until morning until hot water was again available for showers, but these were minor inconveniences compared to the proximity to Galway (less than a 10-minute walk) and the Promenade (3 minutes). We were able to find parking just a short distance down the street and the breakfast choices and preparation were excellent.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 September 2013

My sister and I spent a few days in Galway and luckily, we decided on the Periwinkle! Joan was lovely and the rooms are nicely done up! She's always interested in your plans and has great ideas what to do, also concerning trips to Connemara, Cliffs of Moher etc.!
The breakfast is absolutely delicious! You can decide between several kinds of breakfast which all both look and taste yummy! Fresh fruit, cereals, eggs in all varieties, sausages, cheese, pudding, yoghurt, tea, coffee, porridge, brown bread, toast (..) Next year, same place!!
Thanks a lot for our lovely stay, Joan! We will meet again!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Rebecca Z
Reviewed 9 September 2013

The Periwinkle B&B is cute, clean, and so comfortable, but the best part of this place is the amazing owner, Joan. My sister and I stayed here for 2 nights, and we are both young, so Joan's help with touring suggestions and places to go were priceless information to us. Not only did she give us suggestions, but when we made decisions she personally booked the tours for us. She also makes wonderful breakfast! I could go on and on about how lovely Joan and her property are, and I would highly recommend it to anybody staying in Galway!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Colleen M
Reviewed 9 September 2013

My wife and I decided to go to Ireland for our honeymoon, and we chose to stay in a B&B rather than hotel for a more intimate cultural experience. We chose the Periwinkle on a bit of a whim, based on the fact that the first place we stayed at (vacationing as a couple) was also called the Periwinkle (Cape May, NJ).

Simply stated, the Periwinkle is wonderful! Our host Joan was a sheer delight, sharing many wonderful stories of 'real' Ireland with us, giving us ideas where to go and what to see, and also a very fine cook, as was made quite evident by the gourmet breakfast served every morning (not to mention her amazing paintings and sugar sculptures, which have to be seen to be fully appreciated!).

I would recommend the Periwinkle to anyone looking for a quiet, home-like atmosphere, within a few minutes walk to Galway Bay, and a few more to Galway City, where there are shops, spectacular restaurants, and the best pubs with live music almost every night (go to the Crane Bar, a bit off the main track but well worth the extra walking! - grab a pint a Guinness, a shot of Bushmills, and head upstairs to hear some of the best musicians you'll ever hear, anywhere! :)

The Periwinkle is lovely, as is Joan, our wonderful host, and the combination create a charming atmosphere and welcoming energy that engulfs you immediately! I will also say, for the record, Ireland is filled with some of the nicest, friendliest, down to earth real people I have ever met (and I have been a number of places in the US and abroad, but don't generally bother with reviews, but this time I felt compelled :)

So, if you find that you'll be in or around Galway, spend a few days at the Periwinkle, you will not be disappointed, I assure you! (we stayed for 9 nights!)

Oh, and if you decide to rent a car, remember: drive on the left, and the sheep have the right of way ;)

Slainté!

- Joseph Re, USA

2  Thank Joseph R
Reviewed 24 August 2013

The title pretty much says it all. Joan was super helpful--- I had not planned very well for a day trip out to Inis Mor and Joan took care of everything, calling a company that provides both the bus ride to the port and ferry ride for a very reasonable price. Because she knew the company so well they even went out of their way to pick us up near the B&B (we may well have missed our chance for the day trip if they had not).

The B&B itself is nicely located a bit outside of city center and close to the salt hill prom so it was a bit quieter (which I liked) but still in easy range of everything. Also very near to The Crane, a great pub which has live irish music every night.

1  Thank onho1iday
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Joan is a very good host. If you need information about trips in Galway, she has many good advises. She can order the tour for you. The Irish breakfast is fabulous, and my wife and I love it. She drove her own car to let us catch the tour coach. Thank her very much. The location is near the coast, not very far from the city center.