“Horrible”

Ranked #181 of 197 Galway B&B and Inns
Boston, MA
“Horrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2010

I booked a room here for two nights for 2 adults - my Mother and I. I had to pre-pay the entire cost of the room before arrival which seemed odd but we were pressed for time to make other arrangements. We arrived and I believe we were the only people staying at this place. The host was odd and he was not professional in his appearance or manner. He showed us to our room which was dark and not clean. It did have a new TV as advertised but the cable wires were hanging across the wall. The entire house stunk of cigarette smoke and was cluttered and messy. The bathroom, advertised as very close, was upstairs on a different floor. There was no breakfast but were packages of crackers and biscuits and bottled water.

The house is located in a quieter neighborhood, about a 15 walk from Galway centre. It was a bit difficult to find the house by car but was easy to park on the street and handy enough to walk around.

We spent 20 minutes in the room and could not fathom spending 2 nights in this place. I went to speak with him in the living room where he was ironing clothes and told him that the room and house were not at all as advertised and we would only stay the night but not could not stay for 2 nights. I asked for a refund for the 2nd night and he refused. His reason for not giving me a refund was that he had a mortgage to pay. I was quite shocked at his resistance but we decided that leaving a night early was worth it to get out of there!

We left the next morning and he was nowhere to be found. Our first stop was the tourist office where I filed a written complaint with Failte Ireland. I received a letter from Failte Ireland several weeks later which stated that Dun Aoibhinn House was not approved by the Irish Tourist Board.

I cannot understand how this place has received several positive reviews. I am a frequent international traveler and this was one of the worst accommodation experiences I have ever had.

• Stayed June 2009
1 Thank Qmis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Dublin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2010

I booked the family room with a double bed and a bunk bed for myself, my sister and boyfriend after reading good reviews on Tripadvisor. The B&B is located about 10 minutes walk from Shop Street in Galway, which was the main reason I thought it sounded great. The free pick-up from train/bus station is a plus, and when, in our case, the owner was not able to pick us up, he offered to deduct a taxi fare off the bill. Nice gesture! But that was the end of the positives. We arrived at the B&B and were not very impressed. The room smelled of smoke as did the linen. The owner was very friendly but did not provide a lot of information about the B&B or about Galway. The bunk bed was about to fall apart (we were afraid to move during the night) as was the chair at the desk, which meant we all had to sit on the bed. It was as if the owners wanted to do the minimum amount of work to the B&B. The old stand for the telly had been left after it was replaced with a new flat screen one, one of the floor tiles was cracked into pieces and the view of the back garden wasn't very nice. Breakfast in the morning was the usual fare, again served with friendliness, but everything felt a bit dirty and the tea and coffee was horrible. I would not go here again. I chose a B&B for a personal touch but wish I would have gone for the budget hotel Jury's Inn; at least I know the breakfast is nice there.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Galway hotels

San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2010

I am a regular visitor to galway and I always stay here. I great a relaxing comfortable room at a great price and more importantly, NO TAXIS...I don't mind the whole lack of breakfast concept. Who wants to sit in a dining room making small chat, when you can wander into town in 5 minutes and eat where and what you like. Plus Jim the owner is an authoirty on where all the fun is to be had. He always knows where the best pint of guinness is and He LOVES tourists especially Americans. A MUST STAY

Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OIsinmilo
sligo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2010

Trough work my visits to galway are frequent,my usual place was unavailable so I found this place just up the road from the main hospital in Galway[uchg].a large private car park to the front perfect and safe parking for my car.Room was ensuite had a safe and wifi,I noticed it also has a computer and printer free for guests to use in the dinig room downstairs.breakfast was perfect with options of a full irish and a vegatarian option of fried potatoes mushrooms tomatoes and eggs which I opted for.served by a very kind and friendly woman.I will stay here again

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
limerick
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2009

my husband and i were very happy with our stay here.the house has an old classy feel which we liked.the house is off the road so no street noise and ample parking=a bonus.the room itself was what you expect ensuite with tv and wifi tea etc was a nice size and was clean.at a very good price.will stay again

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Eindhoven
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2009

Very dirty room, it looked like it was not cleaned for months.
The House didn't smell nice.
The shower was really filthy, luckily it was only for two nights..

There is satellite TV with hundreds of channels.
The breakfast is already in the room when you check in, which means that the bread is old, and is not replaced if you don't eat it. you can make some instant coffee with the water cooker provided. When calling a room a bed and breakfast, i expect a fresh breakfast served in the morning.
It's too expensive for the room you get.
The house has potential, but with this lazy person of a houselord, I don't think will be a success.

When leaving you just leave the keys behind before closing the front door.
The house-lord puts the paper of payment under the door of your room, very strange.

It's too expensive for the room you get. We had the room at the front, the rooms at the back were even worse and had an outlook to the very bad yard.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dutch_Ron
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2009

I will start off by addressing the negatives. If you are looking for a luxury place to stay, this is not for you.

HOWEVER, my friend and I felt like this B&B was definitely worth our stay. Jim, the owner, greeted us on arrival and immediately spent about an hour with us explaining to us good places to eat and go drink in Galway. He knew the in's and out's of the city no doubt. He gave us a map, and directed us on how to do our own little private "pub crawl." It was fantastic, and he was spot on! We were told by the bartenders that we were well informed when we explained the plans we made based on his suggestions. He even knew that all the students were studying for exams and directed us to the right places based on the circumstances. When we got back to the B&B that night, he had a beer with us and a good chat.

He also spent a lot of time telling us good places to tour around the area. We ended up following his suggestions exactly and drove up through the Connemara. It was perhaps one of our favorite days during our 8 city, 3 country tour! We were not disappointed.

The room was pretty plain, but just fine. The breakfast was not fancy and yes, it was in the room. But we liked the fact that we could take our time in the morning and had our privacy, and we were perfectly happy with the food provided. I was a little wary at first about the bathroom being upstairs but never felt like my privacy was compromised, and I had a wonderfully hot and comfortable shower. The location was perfect...just a short walk from the main area where the restaurants and pubs are located.

We had looked at other B&B's for the same price that were fancier and farther away but eventually picked this one based on the reviews praising Jim and the B&B's location. We were very happy that we did. Again, do not stay here if you want frills and luxury. This is a bare bones place, but well worth it's price given all the information and warmth that we received from Jim, its great location, and the laid back atmosphere!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends