“Probably would have enjoyed if I were 60 years old”

Dunguaire Castle's Medieval Banquet
Ranked #4 of 18 Concerts & Shows in Galway
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This was my least favorite event while in Ireland. I wish my husband and I would have spend the money on something else. It cost us 80 dollars. We thought we were going to an authentic medieval banquet-like where you eat with your hands and stuff and maybe see a joust or something (we really had no clue apparently). It wasn't. It was a dark, small castle. The entertainment was three people. A harpist, a women and male that sang songs about the history of different people from Ireland. I'm 29 and I was very bored. Mu husband really liked the food but I don't think it was worth it for the amount paid. We got a salad, bread, chicken and gravy and a bland apple pie desert. Skip this.

8  Thank IowaLeanna

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We booked this for our family of four. The food was very good- I loved the soup! The harp player and the singers were truly a delight. My daughter did not like the starter and the staff gave her multiple options to choose from to replace that part of the meal. My daughter choose the fresh fruit instead and loved it! The performers act as the wait staff between sets and they were so fantastic. The harp player spend a few minutes talking to my daughter (who is 9 years old), she asked her questions and really listened to my daughter's answers- what a delight! This was a truly memorable evening for us! Highly recommended!

3  Thank Catherine H
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We did the banquet dinner with a tour group. The castle is one of the best locations in Ireland, next to the water. We started off with a glass of Mead before dinner. The dinner itself was good consisting of grilled chicken, vegetables, bread and endless wine. The show was made up of the bulk of dinner serving staff. Which in itself is fine. I'm not sure you could fit that many more people in the crowded room. The show was fine and the wait staff did a good job. A mixture of music, poetry and scene acting. All in all a good evening, although I don't think it was worth the $100+ per person we paid..

1  Thank Jeffky
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We were one of 4 people not on a tour but were made to feel part of the night. Food was fantastic & there was heaps. I do not like fish & the staff went out of their way to get me another starter.
There were 3 performers & they also acted as waiters. They were amazing, always checking you were served as well as singing their local songs.

1  Thank Cheryl P
Reviewed 1 May 2014

My husband and I enjoyed the eve. We didn't arrive in time to tour the castle itself but it was fun to have the evening meal and entertainment in an authentic castle banquet hall.The meal was served efficiently, lovely and hot. The players were excellent and gave us a good cross section of poetry and music from that area of Ireland. I especially enjoyed the harpist but all three players were very entertaining and professional.

1  Thank Jzjsolo