“Great value November meal-deal”

White Gables Restaurant
Ranked #49 of 502 Restaurants in Galway
Price range: US$40 - US$59
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Serving the Galway community for over twenty years, White Gables specialises in traditional cooking with a modern flair. Visitors to this atmospheric restaurant are guaranteed the greatest experience in every way: service, comfort, hospitality and plenty of good classically cooked sumptuous food. Mains include grilled rib-eye steak with pepper sauce, or, one of the most popular dishes on the menu, traditional lip-smacking crispy roast half duckling with orange sauce. Fish is also a speciality here with timeless classics featuring such as, Sole on the Bone, Scallops Mornay and many other favourites, depending on market availability. Wines are hand-picked by Ann herself with choices to suit every pocket, and a great selection of half bottles too. Prices are matched to suit all budgets. A set menu is available every evening, with plenty of choice and two courses cost just €30 per person, with four courses at €38 per person. A la Carte dining is also an option. Located in Moycullen, 8km from Galway, White Gables Restaurant , Enjoy…from White Gables food shop and Enjoy…More cafe were established by Anne and Kevin Dunne, in a cottage dating back to the 1920s. White Gables is recommended by Good Food Ireland, Bridgestone Guides, Georgina Campbell’s Ireland and Lucinda O’Sullivan’s Little Black Book.
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Went to White Gables on a quiet Sunday night and was pleasantly surprised. I have been to White Gables a number of times and while I have always found the food to be quite good, it would certainly not be my favourite restaurant and I always considered it expensive. So I was very pleased to experience a very good meal and very reasonably priced on this occasion. They have a special deal (I think just for Nov) of a 3-course meal and a bottle of wine for two people for €79. Allowing €20 for a bottle of house wine, the meal is therefore only €30 per person for three courses - normally the main course alone is €22-€28. The house red was a french cab sav and it was very good. We were in a party of four and everyone enjoyed all the courses (except for one starter that was not quite hot enough). There was a special starter of grilled mackerel which was excellent and the roast half duck was delicious and a very generous portion. The service was very good and we were not rushed although the restaurant was empty by the time we had finished our main courses. All in all, a very enjoyable experience - if White Gables can continue to offer these "special" deals, it will ensure a regular trade during the quieter months.

Ann-Dunne-WG, Owner at White Gables Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Delighted that you enjoyed your recent visit, and even more so that you found us good value for money.
Over the past two years we have striven to bring consistently good value to our customers, and we regularly feature offers such as the one you refer to in your review. To keep up to date, we recommend that you visit our web site and sign up to our newsletter. We communicate to our community regularly there with offers and news.
We will be closed for annual holidays Dec 23 – Feb 11 inclusive. If you don’t get to visit before Christmas- please do come back in the New Year.
Many thanks again, and a Happy Christmas to you and your family.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

a special visit to a great restaurant along with 2 others last week as this was our second visit in the past year,once again it lived up to the quality you expect a restaurant of this standard to be, 2 .of our group had steak cooked to perfection well presented with lovely fresh veg. the other person had fresh hake presentation perfect I must say this is what makes Ireland so good for tourists, staff were very pleasant and helpful nothing to much bother.

Thank you for reviewing our restaurant here. I am delighted that you found us to be consistent in our offering, and of course that you enjoyed your meal so much. Do come visit again soon
Merry Christmas

Reviewed 18 November 2013

We dined here last night for our third wedding Anniversary, I've been living in Galway for almost twenty years and have always wanted to come here, always have, family always talked of going but my visit never materialised :(
So, three years married certainly warranted a visit!

We arrived on a cold wet November night into a cozy Oriental themed Reception/Bar, so cozy and warm with candles lighting and I was blown away by the Chinese Mandarin style wardrobe for the coats, every little detail adds to the embience. We didn't have to wait for a table but whisked briskly down by the lovely staff, given nibblies and our drinks while we mulled over the broad selection of dishes, every taste catered for from tomato soup to French Onion Soup and Chips to Snails. I chose French Onion soup and the Supreme of chicken, the soup was divine, a doorstep of molten Gruyere on a piece of bread made it like digging for pirate treasure and the chicken was so so succulent and moist with the most delicious sauce on the side, I wish I knew what it was as it blew me away, a sort of lemon Mayonnaise-tasted home made. There is no shortage of vegetables, four large kidney dishes with chips, creamed spinach, carrot and parsnip mash and potatoes. Ryan had Chowder and Roast lamb which he adored!! The lamb was so tender and cooked to perfection, slight shade of pink, another smile on his face!

The best part was how dessert came out on a sharing platter with Anniversary greetings piped onto the plate with candles, I could have cried, it was a gorgeous gesture for them to go above and beyond for us! We were spoiled! Staff engaged with witty banter and complimented us which is lovely in a restaurant.

To me the White Gables is like visiting a very wealthy, elegant but grounded relative, it's a home atmosphere but so elegant, velvet drapes on doorways, stone walls and chandeliers, candles and a feeling of the best linens on the tables, lain especially for your visit. The bill even comes in a gorgeous trinket box and after dinner mints served in a Champagne Coupe, and the extensive list of whiskeys (Ryan is a whiskey buff and was delighted, but unfortunately was driving) I cannot recommend this place highly enough, it's worth the 20 minute drive from Galway town. Moycullen is my favourite place in Galway, a real crafty, stylish gem of a place! The Gables even have a delightful cafe/tearoom for daytime with muffins and scones, pretty gifts, books and bunting, a girls paradise! Perfect place to gather your girls for a chat and a naughty treat!

Thank you to the staff, management and owners for making our Anniversary so special! I will have no hesitation recommending you to everyone in search of an exciting experience! x

The time it takes to write a review such as this is huge. I am deeply grateful to you for taking this time, and I know I speak for all at White Gables when I say “Thank You so much.”
I am delighted that you found your visit to be so good. Your description of your experience here leaves nothing out, and we are all so happy that we made your night special.
Please don’t leave it long to return – and don’t forget to visit our web site and sign up to our newsletter for special offers!
Happy Holidays
-Ann.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Just can t get over this restaurant!..every little thing in White Gables was amazing I love it! Food, Desing.music..service...atmosphere ..even toilets are impressive :) if you are looking for a nice time that will stay in your memories go there.

Ann-Dunne-WG, Owner at White Gables Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

It is wonderful for Kevin, the staff and I to see such magnificent thoughts about what we try to achieve here at White Gables. We believe truly in making memories, and are delighted that we make special ones’ for you. Do come back soon.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

A special visit to a great restaurant as a treat for my mother in laws 70th. I'm very well travelled but consider this to be one of the best places I have ever eaten in. Not just for the high standard of food (using locally sourced ingredients) but for the incredible unobtrusive yet consistent service. Nothing is ever too much trouble, and the free taxi home so we could all have a drink was much appreciated.... GO you won't be disappointed!

Ann-Dunne-WG, Owner at White Gables Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Wow – we are honoured to be held in such high esteem. Kevin and I were trained the ‘old-fashioned way’ – we believe that the customer is KING, and obviously you feel it when here.
Looking forward to welcoming you back soon...