“best in the west”

Price range: US$40 - US$59
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Serving the Galway community for over twenty years, White Gables specialises in traditional cooking with a modern flair. Visitors to this atmospheric restaurant are guaranteed the greatest experience in every way: service, comfort, hospitality and plenty of good classically cooked sumptuous food. Mains include grilled rib-eye steak with pepper sauce, or, one of the most popular dishes on the menu, traditional lip-smacking crispy roast half duckling with orange sauce. Fish is also a speciality here with timeless classics featuring such as, Sole on the Bone, Scallops Mornay and many other favourites, depending on market availability. Wines are hand-picked by Ann herself with choices to suit every pocket, and a great selection of half bottles too. Prices are matched to suit all budgets. A set menu is available every evening, with plenty of choice and two courses cost just €30 per person, with four courses at €38 per person. A la Carte dining is also an option. Located in Moycullen, 8km from Galway, White Gables Restaurant , Enjoy…from White Gables food shop and Enjoy…More cafe were established by Anne and Kevin Dunne, in a cottage dating back to the 1920s. White Gables is recommended by Good Food Ireland, Bridgestone Guides, Georgina Campbell’s Ireland and Lucinda O’Sullivan’s Little Black Book.
Reviewed 19 August 2014

excellent food if you can afford it.
would thoroughly recommend for special occasion.
have been here several times n always consistant

1  Thank bob h
Ann-Dunne-WG, Owner at White Gables Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Thank you for the vote of confidence- don’t forget to check out our web site for periodic special offers which prove to be great value for money.
See you soon I hope- Ann

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Have been waiting a very long time to try out this restaurant and then when the occasion occurred I was left extremely disappointed. I found that the course came out way to quickly after each other. We had 3 courses done within less than 45 minutes. The shocking part was the food came so quickly and then the bill didn't come.. we had to ask for it. The most disappointing part for me was the starters.. I got the mushrooms and when the plate came out i said "wow i will never eat all of those" - there was 7/8 mushrooms on the plate. They were tasteless, the worst mushrooms i've ever had. I would have preferred 4 tasty mushrooms on the plate. I had to ask for some extra garlic to eat them - they had no taste what so ever. When we received our main courses it took some time to get the vegetables, there was a dish with what looked like roast potatoes - one each for us, so we took once each and said nothing. About 7 minutes after receiving our main courses - a small side of mash potatoes was silded onto the table which some of us weren't aware about until our plates were being cleared. Our desert orders weren't long taken when desert was out in front of us. I felt the dinner to be completely rushed. I felt it was totally over priced for what was offered. Unfortunately to say I will not be returning. All in all it was an expensive night out as i drove 90 minutes each way to specifically visit this restaurant.

10  Thank Bannerone

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to our restaurant, and for travelling such a distance.
We bring out each course when we feel the guests are ready for them, however, we are amazed that you all could get through 3 courses in 45 minutes, it certainly is not the norm in our restaurant – you must eat quickly!
For your information, Garlic mushrooms are the most popular starter on the Table d’hôte menu, if they were not to your liking I would have changed them immediately for another option, if only you had told me. I do remember that one of your party did comment on the delay with the vegetables, for which I apologised. I did check that the veg was satisfactory and you acknowledged that is was, if my memory serves me correctly.
What is most disappointing for us, is that you did not utter one word to me when I visited your table, with regard to your complaints, and that you used Trip Advisor instead to air your disappointment. Whilst this is a very open forum, you will see that the vast majority of reviews on this site are positive- in fact out of 143 reviews we score 99 being excellent. We are ranked number 8 of 344 for restaurants in Galway - I think that speaks for itself.
Do come back and visit us again- but this time let me know if there is a problem personally, rather than posting negatively in this forum

-Ann.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

We had several dinners here during Galway Race Week. The place was always busy; the welcome always warm and friendly and the the level of service was efficient without feeling rushed. As for the food, that was consistently of a high standard. Basically we went through the menu over 5 nights - the fish was especially good. The portions were generous and there often wasn't room for pudding (so we shared one). The wine list caters for all pockets. On our last evening the Ch Beychevelle 1995 was delightful and reasonably priced.
If you are looking for a treat while in Galway I would definitely recommend White Gables.

Not open Monday

1  Thank LuckyeddieBristol
Ann-Dunne-WG, Owner at White Gables Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Thank you for reviewing our restaurant on this site. It is encouraging to know that even at our busiest times we are capable of delivering.
We look forward to welcoming you back -
-Ann

Reviewed 6 August 2014

One of the best meals I've had out in a long time. The menu was interesting with lots of tasty dishes. The only issue I had was trying to pick just one starter and one main. We started with cocktails before going to our table which were very enjoyable. The restaurant itself is very cosy and comfortable. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Perfect place to go for a special occasion. Would recommend this place to anyone and already looking forward to another special occasion so I can go back again.

Great comments – thanks for taking the time to put them here. Don’t just leave it for a special occasion to return- we do great value offers during the winter months – come back soon .
Ann

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Had a delicious Sunday lunch here recently. We arrived late, had no booking and were immediately shown to a table, the atmosphere was great a real buzz. The staff were excellent and efficient, the food was delicious and wonderfully presented. One of us had the fish and it was cooked to perfection and I had the roast beef it was melt in the mouth, Well done to all concerned and we will be back.

It is encouraging to read such positive comments on our efforts here at White Gables. We all respect the time it takes for you to review us here- thank you sincerely.
-Ann