“Irish Couple Moycullen”

White Gables Restaurant
Ranked #38 of 466 Restaurants in Galway
Price range: US$40 - US$59
Cuisines: Irish, European, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Serving the Galway community for over twenty years, White Gables specialises in traditional cooking with a modern flair. Visitors to this atmospheric restaurant are guaranteed the greatest experience in every way: service, comfort, hospitality and plenty of good classically cooked sumptuous food. Mains include grilled rib-eye steak with pepper sauce, or, one of the most popular dishes on the menu, traditional lip-smacking crispy roast half duckling with orange sauce. Fish is also a speciality here with timeless classics featuring such as, Sole on the Bone, Scallops Mornay and many other favourites, depending on market availability. Wines are hand-picked by Ann herself with choices to suit every pocket, and a great selection of half bottles too. Prices are matched to suit all budgets. A set menu is available every evening, with plenty of choice and two courses cost just €30 per person, with four courses at €38 per person. A la Carte dining is also an option. Located in Moycullen, 8km from Galway, White Gables Restaurant , Enjoy…from White Gables food shop and Enjoy…More cafe were established by Anne and Kevin Dunne, in a cottage dating back to the 1920s. White Gables is recommended by Good Food Ireland, Bridgestone Guides, Georgina Campbell’s Ireland and Lucinda O’Sullivan’s Little Black Book.
Galway, Ireland
“Irish Couple Moycullen”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

All the wonderful reviews you have read of this restaurant are justified. We have visited this restaurant on many occasions over the years and it never fails to live up to expectations.

Sunday lunch is the clever option. It offers nearly all the dinner menu has, but without the dinner prices. This restaurant is famous in Galway for its Roast Duck and you can have this and a wonderful Sole for a supplement on the lunch menu. Let me remark if you intend to partake of the Duck come on a very empty stomach!!! Lunch costs 28.50 euro per person but it is so worth it.the restaruant serves its own wonderful brown bread and white scones as you review the menu. If you love them as we do you can purchase them in the near by wonderful shop run by the same owners. There are a variety of starters, seven to eight main courses and five to six desserts. They do a poached pear, vanilla ice cream and chocolate that is to die for!!!

When you visit not if you visit do pop into the restrooms. They are just so quaint. Pottery sinks and replica barn doors on the cubicles. All is just so calm and wonderful. Super hand wash and hand lotion if provided.

Ann the owner has super taste. The image of the lady which is their logo was painted by Ann.

Her husband Kevin manages the kitchen. Pay attention to all the lovely paintings, statues and flower arrangements that adorne the restaurant. It is especially wonderful at Easter and Christmas time.

The Restaurant is closed Mondays and Tuesdays. Sunday lunch can be booked for 12.30 or 3.00 pm aim for the latter it makes for a super relaxing Sunday afternoon. Sunday lunch is very popular so do book in advance.

This wonderful restaurant closes for its annual holidays just before Christmas Day and re-opens in time for Valentines Day. This when Galweagians get withdrawl symptoms!!!The shop does remain open so we can get our scone and brown bread fix!!!!!

Visit and I am certain you will not be disappointed. We do lunch once a month. Many regulars go each week. Enjoy Enjoy.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank dsrob26
Ann-Dunne-WG, Owner at White Gables Restaurant, responded to this review, 15 September 2014
Wow, what a great review of our Restaurant. Your telling of the experience is exactly how we want people to encounter us. Thank you so much.
I have to admit- Kevin in the artist in the family- sadly not me! The Red lady as we refer to her was painted by a Czech artist – isn’t it lovely?
Hope to see you soon
-Ann

“Perfect!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

We had dinner on Saturday night and it was just amazing.

The restaurant was beautifully decorated and the atmosphere was nice and relaxed.

Every course was perfectly cooked and very generous!

1 Thank nexarz
Ann-Dunne-WG, Owner at White Gables Restaurant, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Delighted that you enjoyed your evening with us here at White Gables.
Come back and visit again soon, we appreciate your business and also the time you took to post this review.
-Ann.
Dublin, Ireland
“Simple country food cooked with right ingredients”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Tried this place many times... everything on the menu is tasty, fresh and perfectly cooked. I suspect the are using sous-vide cooking for the meat which is great.
Highly recommended

Visited August 2014
1 Thank ImajPhotoAdventures
We really value the time and effort that you took in writing this review – many thanks.
For the record, we do not use the sous-vide cooking method in our kitchen at all – our meat is aged naturally to enhance its tenderness and flavour. We are glad you like it so much.
Come back soon - Ann
Galway, Ireland
“best in the west”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

excellent food if you can afford it.
would thoroughly recommend for special occasion.
have been here several times n always consistant

Visited September 2013
1 Thank bob h
Thank you for the vote of confidence- don’t forget to check out our web site for periodic special offers which prove to be great value for money.
See you soon I hope- Ann
IRELAND
“Very Disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Have been waiting a very long time to try out this restaurant and then when the occasion occurred I was left extremely disappointed. I found that the course came out way to quickly after each other. We had 3 courses done within less than 45 minutes. The shocking part was the food came so quickly and then the bill didn't come.. we had to ask for it. The most disappointing part for me was the starters.. I got the mushrooms and when the plate came out i said "wow i will never eat all of those" - there was 7/8 mushrooms on the plate. They were tasteless, the worst mushrooms i've ever had. I would have preferred 4 tasty mushrooms on the plate. I had to ask for some extra garlic to eat them - they had no taste what so ever. When we received our main courses it took some time to get the vegetables, there was a dish with what looked like roast potatoes - one each for us, so we took once each and said nothing. About 7 minutes after receiving our main courses - a small side of mash potatoes was silded onto the table which some of us weren't aware about until our plates were being cleared. Our desert orders weren't long taken when desert was out in front of us. I felt the dinner to be completely rushed. I felt it was totally over priced for what was offered. Unfortunately to say I will not be returning. All in all it was an expensive night out as i drove 90 minutes each way to specifically visit this restaurant.

• Visited August 2014
10 Thank Bannerone
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to our restaurant, and for travelling such a distance.
We bring out each course when we feel the guests are ready for them, however, we are amazed that you all could get through 3 courses in 45 minutes, it certainly is not the norm in our restaurant – you must eat quickly!
For your information, Garlic mushrooms are the most popular starter on the Table d’hôte menu, if they were not to your liking I would have changed them immediately for another option, if only you had told me. I do remember that one of your party did comment on the delay with the vegetables, for which I apologised. I did check that the veg was satisfactory and you acknowledged that is was, if my memory serves me correctly.
What is most disappointing for us, is that you did not utter one word to me when I visited your table, with regard to your complaints, and that you used Trip Advisor instead to air your disappointment. Whilst this is a very open forum, you will see that the vast majority of reviews on this site are positive- in fact out of 143 reviews we score 99 being excellent. We are ranked number 8 of 344 for restaurants in Galway - I think that speaks for itself.
Do come back and visit us again- but this time let me know if there is a problem personally, rather than posting negatively in this forum

-Ann.