“Our favorite place”

Ranked #11 of 493 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: One of Galway's most enduring restaurants, housed in one of the city's most iconic restaurant spaces, Ard Bia has always placed as much emphasis on community experiences and aesthetic stimulation as on serving great food in a fun environment. We believe in having roots in a place whilst having an identity that transcends location and takes inspiration from around the world.
Reviewed 27 May 2014

One of the best organic kitchens in Ireland! Food is always fresh and scrumptious, deserts are excellent and there is little shop inside where you can buy some healthy ingredients. We were there multiple times and will definitely go there again! :)

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Having spent the last nine months planning to eat dinner here after enjoying many lunches, brunches and coffee/cake sessions, I was devastated to find out that our lack of planning (we didn't think we'd need a reservation for a rainy Monday night) might mean that my friend and I wouldn't be able to have our last dinner together at Ard Bia. Fortunately, a few minutes later a no-show was declared and we were able to sit down and immediately started munching on the delicious brown bread and white seedy bread with Irish butter while we waited for our starter of muhumara, beetroot hummus, pickles and halloumi.

This arrived on a rustic wooden cutting board with a nice variety of spiced apple slices, carrots and leafy greens. For our mains we decided on the squash, kidney bean and chickpea galette with goat cheese and silver hake with pancetta crushed potatoes and pea puree. This dish is undoubtedly one of the best things I've ever eaten and was beautifully presented, as well. The fish was perfectly cooked, flaking at the lightest touch and was melt-in-your-mouth delicious. I usually avoid peas of any kind, especially mushy ones, but the pea puree surrounding the fish was also wonderful with a subtle sweet taste that contrasted perfectly with the saltier pancetta potatoes. I only tried a bite of the chickpea galette, but it was also bursting with flavor and nicely presented.

For dessert we opted for the rhubarb eaton mess and chocolate torte with Moroccan fruits and rhubarb Prosecco sorbet. Both desserts were lovely, although the eaton mess was the favorite. The rhubarb was still tart which paired well with the sweet cream and ginger shortbread cookies. While the torte was also good, the combination of rich chocolate with citrus fruits and pomegranate seeds was somewhat unusual. I'm not sure if I would put those together, but it was certainly an unique. For the starter, two mains and two desserts, our bill came to a little under €70, which I think is reasonable given the quality of the food and the variety of locally sourced, organic ingredients used in each of the dishes.

For those wanting to experience Ard Bia without the slightly higher price tag, their lunches and brunches are also wonderful and less expensive. I've savoured their delicious poppyseed pancakes with fruit compote, french toast stuffed with poached pears and sweet cheese, eggs Benedict and grilled halloumi on numerous occasions. If you have any room left after those dishes, their ever-changing variety of baked goods should not be missed. My favorites include the plum frangipane tart and the rhubarb crumble. So, so good. Go here and sample as much as you can.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

If you're looking for a fantastic breakfast in Galway, then this is the place! Michelin rated, Ard Bia deserves kudos for having some of the best bread we tasted during our trip to Ireland! The baked goods are outrageous and so are the scones and jams! The breakfasts we had were all delicious - and the place has a casual, hipster feel to it. What a find!! Loved it!

Reviewed 26 May 2014

My son and I were fortunate enough to find this spot on a recent trip to Galway. It's in a tiny histoirc building by the Spanish arches. We managed to get reservations at the last minute and then had one of the best tables in the house. The staff was extremely helpful. But it was the food that stole the show. There were so many great choices on the menu. We both had seafood. Everything was delicious all the way to the desserts. Thanks for a great evening, I look forward to my next visit.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Attracted by some of the reviews we went for lunch on a day trip to the town. We liked the building and atmosphere. There was a short wait for service. My wife had soup which she liked. However I ordered a chick pea wrap from the Specials. It was dry and covered in greenery. It was the only time in 200 Trip Advisor reviews I have felt like retuning a dish to the kitchen. As were were pressed for time .I made the most of it.