“Accidental tourist finds great meal; twice!”
Review of Ard Bia at Nimmo's

Ard Bia at Nimmo's
Ranked #10 of 488 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: One of Galway's most enduring restaurants, housed in one of the city's most iconic restaurant spaces, Ard Bia has always placed as much emphasis on community experiences and aesthetic stimulation as on serving great food in a fun environment. We believe in having roots in a place whilst having an identity that transcends location and takes inspiration from around the world.
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Had read about this place, but on the night I visited, I just stumbled upon it and was quite hungry. Once I entered I realized this was the very popular, very stylish place I read about and thought I'd end up looking elsewhere, but they had a table available, and were super friendly.

It was so good, I made a return trip. Both seafood dinners were excellent, and on the second night they had a reading upstairs...that was a blast. (Local literary crowd. If you are familiar with the Moth storytelling series, you know this is a fun event.)

I hope to get back to Galway and Ard Bia...soon.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I often travel solo, and have a special way of judging restaurants. It's not just the food, it's the reception of the solo traveler that can make or break it for me. Ard Bia scored big on both fronts.

Too often, single diners are plopped down to the Island of Misfit Toys, you know: the corner near the rest rooms, or kitchen. Not here.

I came in without a reservation and without hesitation was seated at a nice table and given a big welcome.

I started with the rhubarb prosecco...a sparkling delight. Then I had the Langoustine salad and then the hake for my main course. Each was delicious: and the serving size quite perfect. I have to say, I had no room for dessert, but god, they looked lovely.

The food was terrific: so good that I booked for the next night I was in Galway, and yes, ordered the same thing. I have a tendency to do this both at home and abroad. the fish was handled with care, and the combination of fresh vegetables cooked to allow for the fullness of flavor and fine fish put together with a deft hand made for a great combo.

I left that second night with the cookbook in hand, and love tinkering with what's in it...wishing my parents, my father in particular, were still among the living, because I know he'd love this place for its style, it's food, and its spirit.

I noted the negative reviews here and was quite surprised. I will say, the tendency of the wait staff to move quickly--they hustle-- can give a sense of being rushed--diners are sensitive to this, so maybe it's worth having the staff take a deep breath and slow down a bit. But honestly, it wasn't an issue for me. I enjoyed friendly and attentive service.

I look forward to getting back to Ard Bia; very stylish, friendly and with a kitchen that knows how to let the goodness of the food shine through.

Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

We were three people and our experience was all in all very good. Nice athmosphere, a bit busy waiters, who were never the less very friendly. Food was fresh and ingredients local. Starters had a lot going on and perhaps too experimental with so many components. Mains were just perfect - juicy meat and beautiful, flavourful vegetables. Desserts were personal and tasty, but the dessert wine offered with them wasn't quite sweet enough to match, allthough otherwise to our taste. Alltogether very enjoyable experience!

Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Almost everything on the menu was gluten friendly, we wandered down and sat at the last table, I would book next time. Very good fresh flavors and good sized portions! European based wine list with reasonable choices! Would eat here again for sure!! A friend said it's her favor restaurant in Galway, and I think it's ours too!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Located in the Galway's Latin Quarter beside the famous Spanish Arch, Nimmos at Ard Bia is a treat not to be missed. From it's charming building, delicious seasonal menus, friendly staff and forever a table filled with tempting baked goodies, this is without a doubt one of my favorite Galway haunts. Not only are the food, ambiance and service excellent but the owners also go out of their way to support local producers through the sourcing of their food. There is also a beautiful upstairs area where you can go for a boogie and a cocktail in the evenings or weekends. On the weekends they also do a menu of gorgeous brunch specials, rumour has it the 'hippy fry' makes for a perfect hangover cure ;-)