“great spot for lunch”

Ranked #9 of 488 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: One of Galway's most enduring restaurants, housed in one of the city's most iconic restaurant spaces, Ard Bia has always placed as much emphasis on community experiences and aesthetic stimulation as on serving great food in a fun environment. We believe in having roots in a place whilst having an identity that transcends location and takes inspiration from around the world.
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Very good service and food. Not just the usual choices, they offer something different. All the food was of a very high standard, packed with flavour. Reasonably priced, good value for money.

There are newer reviews for Ard Bia at Nimmo's

Reviewed 23 August 2014

My wife and I were fortunate enough to be squeezed in during a very busy time. Later arrivals without reservations were turned away, so I strongly recommend reserving ahead . The food here is special -- my wife had the lamb (well seasoned and not overcooked) and I had the silver hake with surf clams and samphire in a Middle-Eastern seasoned broth. The dish had the complexity of a really first-rate bouillabaisse. So good that most desserts would be a let-down, but no let-down here: roasted peaches with ice cream and (I think) toasted nuts (a senior moment.. but something crunchy, sweet, and a perfect accompaniment). I regretted I'd promised to share it with my wife.
And despite being last-minute arrivals without a reservation, we were treated courteously and service was pleasant and efficient.

1  Thank coolohms
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We stumbled on this little place just under the Spanish Arch looking for lunch. They managed to deal with four of us despite the fact they were very busy and we soon realised we were in a special place. Superb, varied food, efficient service and enjoyable ambience. We visited again for dinner a few nights later, having wisely booked, and we were not disappointed. The delicacy and the thought that had gone into the food was of Michelin star quality and, despite one little hitch with our order, quickly and courteously rectified, our expectations after our previous visit were certainly realised. Highly recommended!!!!!

1  Thank nednit
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Wandering through Galway on August 17, 2014, my spouse and I found a quant restaurant beautifully tucked into a stone building next to the spanish arch overlooking the ocean. Seeing a recent Michelin sticker on window, we decided excitedly to try. As we entered we asked for a table for two. We were met with a negative tone assuming we did not have a reservation as we did not. We heard the male whisper to a female waitress we didn't have a reservation and walked passed us as if we were not worthy of his reply. The female then said We could stay as long as we gave the table back in an hour and a half which we agreed.
We sat down to a quaint table. We received no greeting, no,special list, no smile. After ordering from the wine list I asked for a clean wine glass as it was stained red from the previous user. She returned later and dumped the wine into two new but equally dirty glasses. We asked for clean ones again. We lost Hope at this point and both order appetizers only, they arrived quickly however, the server had no idea who ordered what. We left quickly after hearing laughter as if the staff had won some sort of battle match against us.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

I've lived in Galway for a year and Ard Bia at Nimmo's is by far my favorite restaurant. I recommend it to everyone that visits Galway! Their dinner menu is a little pricey so if it's out of your price range they do lunch that is more reasonably priced. Super cosy decor, amazing locally sourced food and incredible staff. Couldn't recommend it more. Lots of options for vegetarians as well. Every time I've eaten their the menu is different and each item I've ordered has been incredible.

1  Thank Cathy D