“Go for the atmosphere”

Price range: US$4 - US$31
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood, Fast food
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Description: Mc Donagh's have been tantalising the taste buds of both Visitor and Local for four generations. The Family knowledge of Fish and dedication to their customers has earned them the reputation of being one of Ireland's best Seafood's Houses. Mc Donagh's is divided into two sections: In the Seafood Restaurant you will find a great variety of fish dishes on our menu. From native Clarenbridge Oysters, Salmon, Crab, Scallops,Prawns, Hake, Lemon Sole, Plaice, Haddock, Wild Mussels and Ray. Smoked Salmon from Connemara and whatever else the Fisherman can get his hands on. A new addition to our menu is Irish Rib Eye Steak from Mc Geough's Butchers Oughterard Co. Galway. In our Fish & Chips Bar the fish is cooked to order, and you are guaranteed the freshest of Chips, as our potatoes are peeled and cut on the premises. Our Fish & Chips can be eaten on the premises or taken away, we also have outside seating during the summer months.
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The fish was merely okay (kind of greasy) although the chips were good. It was the corny, fishy, down-home atmosphere that is fun. McDonagh's claims to have been in business for four generations and the restaurant looks like it hasn't changed at all since the first generation.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,368)

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Every time we visit galway we look forward to eating here - the fish are literally just out of the sea - a traditional fish and chip shop with a huge variety of seafood to suit all cultures. Definitely ignore bad reviews of this place - its really worth a visit. Price is reasonable. We have visited McDonaghs at least 10 times and will continue to do so - love it!

Reviewed 20 July 2014

I heard rave reviews about McDonaghs, and was looking forward to a decent fish supper. I went on a busy Sunday afternoon. Even though I was before them in the queue, 2 lads were served before me as they appeared to know the lad serving behind the counter - Okay well not the end of the world but pretty shoddy. The oldish lady who served me did so without any semblance of courtesy and not returned by change to me by slapping it on the counter as opposed to offering it in my hand. I cannot recall that happening to me anywhere in Ireland before. I ordered cod, chips and mushy peas. I wasn't asked what size of chips I wanted, and was charged for a 'large' even though what I got was at best a 'medium' - but in reality the portion size was more like a child's meal. The chips were OK - seemed decent quality potatoes at least, but seemed to have been hanging around a where fairly limp. Fish was alright, although the batter was really greasy and the mushy peas were not nice at all. Overall, I'm pretty disappointed and the fayre served up to me was no better than a chip van. Expensive too - €9.70 for the privilege. If I am ever back in Galway, I'll be in McDonalds before McDonagh's

3  Thank Leo C
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Food we got was absolutely gorgeous however the service is down right ignorant and rude, all they seem to care about is getting your money

1  Thank Wolvomac
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I had fish and chips and my husband had chicken and chips. It was gorgeous. So delicious. We were served so fast and we sat outside watching every one going up and down the street.

The fish was so thick an battered perfectly. The chips were also very good.

You should defo try here if your staying in Galway.