“Very Nice Hotel Bar Food Expensive”

Clayton Hotel Galway
Ranked #11 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I stayed at the Clayton for one night while working away on business, it is a reasonably big hotel, and during my stay the hotel was busy, the rooms were very nice good air conditioning, clean, beds lovely and comfortable. There was a leisure center but I did not use same during my stay.

The breakfast was self-service and very good, however the food in the bar I didn't enjoy, I had the steak sandwich it had very little steak and was expensive priced around €14, portions ok the service in the bar was not that friendly and on reflection the true value of such a meal should be €10 , I felt like I was sitting in a canteen, this is the only draw back I had with the hotel.

Making the bar are more homely place and reduce the cost of the bar food would really make this hotel a winner

Room Tip: Request a room adjacent/overlooking the entrance area as the rooms on the road side can be noisy in...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
DaleHarris, Guest Relations Manager at Clayton Hotel Galway, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Dear Carriganure

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay in the Clayton Hotel. We always appreciate feedback from our guest as it provides us with a good measure of our performance and the service we provide to our guest. I am disappointed that your dining experience in the Bistro Bar has let down your overall experience.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to the Clayton Hotel in the near future and provide you with our improved quality of service which we strive to provide to every guest.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

Stayed their with my husband he went there on business two years ago and thought I would like it. The hotel itself is very modern clean and bright staff are very friendly and helpful it has a swimming pool steam room sauna and gym which were ace, I always use them if the hotel has them. It also has a very good car park.

Our room was very nice we were on the fourth floor which was more like a studio flat,it was very big with modern we had a balcony as well to watch the world go by, a massive bathroom which I would love to have in my own home, a sitting area and massive soft bed all was extremely comfortable the room was never cold or too hot the cleaning staff left it looking like new every day.

The food at the hotel was great, especially breakfast buffet (I love soda bread now) with a wide choice of hot and continental foods

Thank you for having us we look forward to coming back.

Room Tip: Pay a little bit extra for the 4 Th. floor it's worth it
1  Thank Laura C
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Friendly staff, large clean room, in a nice neighborhood. The only shortcomings are the location - we had to take a cab into town and breakfast is not included.

Overall, a good value for what you get.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

Both my partner and I stayed in the Clayton Hotel for a weekend break, the hotel is located outside Galway City (approx 2 miles). Taxi costs €10 into the City. This hotel is really nice, the decor is modern, bright and open. Our room was large and very cosy, Our bed was very comfortable (memory foam). It also had a small balcony. Breakfast is buffet style with a variety of delicious food. I would definitely recommend The Clayton Hotel and will also be booking it again for our next visit to the amazing city. Galway is a must see City and the Clayton is excellent value.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

We stayed at the Clayton Hotel Galway in June 2013. There were 2 adults and 2 teenagers in our group. This Hotel was very clean the food was lovely especially in the bar. It's outside the city but the bus stop is right outside the hotel, so you have the benefit of being away from all the hussle of the city yet you can be there within 15 minutes. There is a small shoppin area across the road with Dunnes stores and other small shops. The pool area is lovely and very well cared for.
We will return again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 October 2013

My wife and I booked a two night over 55's deal which was to include 2 dinners. The telephone booking was very satisfactory and check- in welcoming. We were informed that as the Dining Room was not being used we would be served dinner in the Bistro Bar and we were given a complimentary voucher for afternoon tea and scones. which we used shortly after arrival. This was beautifully served and our first impression of the hotel and staff was very positive.
When were arrived down for dinner it soon became obvious that the Bistro Bar was almost full and we had difficulty getting a decent seat. The menu was good but it appeared that the waiting staff were overwhelmed by the number of diners and the service was very slow. The vegetables were cold but were replaced upon request. The staff were apologetic about the situation and said it was because the dining room was not in use although no one could offer an explaination why this was so!
The following morning we went to the reception desk to book dinner for that evening and told the receptionist about our experience of the previous evening and she appeared to be most sympathetic and said she would speak to the Manager when he came in about the matter and see what could be done.

When we arrived down for dinner the situation was even worse than the previous evening. We were shown to the last available seat under a TV on which the Man Utd,V Liverpool soccer was being shown. The sofa type seats were far too low for eating comfortably and the noise was intolerable. The service was so slow and although the waiters were polite and apologetic we did not enjoy the meal. We were offered a complimentary drink before leaving but we were so fed up by this time that we did not accept this.
The staff were all very polite and friendly,the hotel clean,leisure facilities limited but adequate for numbers using them. It is such a pity that the dining experience on both evenings spoiled the break and disappointing that there has been no satisfactory response from senior management.

Room Tip: Our room on 2nd floor was very well equipped , comfortable & Quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Harry M

Dear Harry M,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay in the Clayton Hotel. The dining experience for many of our guest contributes to the overall enjoyment of their stay. I am sorry to hear that we could not make this enjoyable for you. The feedback we receive from our valued guest, like you, enables us to identify areas that are of concern to our guest and I can assure you that the restaurant opening times are being reviewed by the management team. It was unfortunate that during your visit our restaurant was closed and you had to dine in the Bistro Bar, which at times do get very busy for dinner. However this should not have affected the service you receive.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Clayton Hotel and please do not hesitate to contact me directly on your next visit to Galway.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

This is appears to be a recently built Commercial hotel on the outskirts of Galway.
It is clean, quiet and the perfect place to start exploring Galway and the surrounding district.
The staff are so helpful and go out of their way to make your stay as enjoyable as possible
The rooms are spacious and beautifully decorated and the beds make for a perfect nights sleep.
As for the food I could have eaten everything on the menu and the presentation is exactly what you would expect from a quality hotel.
I stayed there for 6 days on business and I am determined to return and bring along my wife so that she too can enjoy that beautiful Irish Hospitality.

Room Tip: From what I saw if all of the rooms on the second floor were as good as mine they will all be perfec...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear Allan S

Thank you for taking the time and write a review about The Clayton Hotel and making us aware of your delightful experience. We all like to receive an acknowledgement of such positive nature. It is truly rewarding when our guest recognise the efforts of our staff. Once again thank you for your thoughtful comments and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you and your family in the future.