“Couldn't ask for more!”

Clayton Hotel Galway
Ranked #11 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Booked last minute on a reference from hospital. Got there after 9pm and was happy the check-in was fast and the receptionist was really nice.

The room was a fantastic size...couch, tables, balcony and huge closet. Bathroom was big and the floor was heated! Separate shower from tub. Bed was big and luxurious with fresh smelling sheets...like fabric softener. All bathroom goodies like soap, shampoo, hair cover, shoe shiner, moisturizer. Bathrobes and slippers.

Ordered room service and it was there in a shot and correct! A biggie in my books as the last few hotels were not on the mark at all.

Great nights sleep and went down to breakfast in the first floor dining room. Buffet and they will bring you eggs of your choice if not scrambled which is ready. I had scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns and mushroom with croissant. They had much more than that and loads of danish. The biggest buffet I've seen in Ireland for breakfast. All I had was delicious.

Ate at the restaurant in the bar one night and it was great....fast and perfectly cooked vegetables. Most places way overcook them in Ireland. Had chicken parm and wish it had spaghetti instead of potato...but was so tasty i didn't care. Service was fast and they were very nice.

Everything you could want for business purposes in the room. A coffee shop in the lobby open all day. There was a pool, but didn't get to check it out. Drove to center of Galway about a 10 minute trip to all the shops. There is a Large Dunnes, convenience store, vitamin shop, nail salon all across the street.

Will most definitely stay here on any trip to Galway. Recommend it highly and can't say enough about the wonderful staff.

Room Tip: 4th floor rooms have separate key for elevator.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank alish2006
Write a ReviewReviews (2,010)

Reviewed 22 January 2014

My partner and I stayed for 2 nights . Check in was very quick and the lady on reception was very friendly and made us feel very welcome. Our room was lovely it was spotless the bathroom was a bit small but did fine. The shower was fab great power.
Breakfast was a let down though it was all self service and when we went to get breakfast some trays were empty so we were waiting on some items to be cooked if you wanted a fried egg you had to ask as it was only scrambled that was pre cooked and by the time we got the eggs we had finished our breakfast. So i think breakfast should be improved.
We found the bar very expensive 5.10 for a pint , we had our dinner in the bistro which was really good.
The bed was so comfortable you would not want to get up , on the saturday night there was a lot of noise from girls singing and running up and down the hallway but the sunday night was nice and quiet.
Overall the Clayton is a lovely hotel and i would return, they just need to improve on the few things mentioned.

Room Tip: Ask for a room opposite dual carriage way much quieter.
2  Thank maud11_12
Reviewed 21 January 2014

The Clayton Hotel Galway is an Amazing structure and looks even more fabulous inside. The Staff are wonderful and made us feel right at home.

It is located just outside of Galway city in a great location.

We loved the fact that in the Main bar they had Big screens so himself could enjoy the footie while we had a few quiet drinks, before heading upstairs to one of the fantastic function rooms to enjoy a charity show. We had a great night and at the end of it we retired to a lovely toastie bedroom and may I add a Very comfortable bed.

Thanks again

Regina

1  Thank Gina731984
Reviewed 19 January 2014

As a family of five we booked two rooms here and I am sorry to say I will not be staying here again. Apart from the fabulous and courteous reception staff, the rest of the staff leave a lot to be desired. I know it was a busy Saturday night and the foyer was full of people waiting to be accommodated at a function upstairs, but the service at the bar was dreadful. We were refused service three times, totally ignored. But the best had to be dinner. We booked for 8.00pm and were seated at 7.30pm in anticipation and by 9.00pm after much negotiating we finally got served, eventually after all the too and froing with the Restaurant manager we got served our dinner at 9.40pm,People were in long after us and they were served straight away. Answer to this from staff was that we were not having a starter. Unbelievable. In all fairness the restaurant manager apologised and offered us a courtesy drink. Noise level all night was intolerable by girls singing up and down the corridors, so if you want a hotel where you want total relaxation and most importantly sleep, I wouldn't advise staying here. Pros: The rooms are lovely and comfortable and clean.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank beckymayo
Clayton-GM, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Galway, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear carmelbCoMayo,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay in the Clayton Hotel. I greatly appreciate it when I get any feedback from our guests as I believe it can often help us become better at what we do. I'm sorry your last stay wasn't as enjoyable as you had expected or as good as the previous times you stayed with us. I have brought your comments to the attention of the team in the bar and I know they will work hard to ensure we don't let ourselves down in this manner again. From your previous stays I'm sure you know this is not typical of the experiences our guests usually enjoy and I do hope you'll be able to see past this as the one-off incident it is and give the Clayton another chance the next time you are travelling to Galway.

Best regards

Rory Fitzpatrick

Reviewed 14 January 2014

Spent 2 nights in an executive room, Stayed early January last year and the same this year, Faultless service and exceptionally clean and spacious room. 4th (Executive)Floor exceptionally quiet - no kids running around. Ideal get away within reach of the city. We'll be back no doubt whatsoever

Room Tip: 4th floor is Accessible only with room Key - Executive floor no kids exceptionally quiet at night
1  Thank Nick O
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I spent two nights at the Clayton with my husband.
We have absolutely no complaints on the hotel's facilities - it's modern, clean and has the most comfortable beds we've ever slept in.
It's located a bit outside town, but it has ample parking and a taxi into the city centre is only about 10-12 euro.
The leisure centre is good too, with a 20mt pool, steam room, sauna and a small room with exercise machines.
What really disapponted us was the service and the quality of the food in the bar/restaurant as well as breakfast.
All the f&b staff gave us the impression they didn't want to be there and treated us quite rudely. The hot breakfast wasn't great, I could just about eat the beans, the rest didn't taste good. The second day I had bread and croissants which were ok but far from delicious.
We were on a two night + 1 dinner package so we had dinner at the hotel on sunday night. There weren't many people around but it still took ages to get acknowledged and when we finally got our food it was quite bad. I understand that we were on a package but still, you'd expect something better. On top of it, the waiter that served us was possibly the rudest I've ever encountered.
Overall, I would go back just to sleep in those amazing beds, but I would not go near the bar!

3  Thank Marla7
Clayton-GM, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Galway, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Dear Marla7,

Thank you for taking the time to post a comprehensive review of your recent stay in the Clayton Hotel. I do appreciate all the feed back I get from our guests as I believe we can use this input to improve what we do. I'm sorry your stay wasn't as good as you had expected. You have brought up some valid points which I have discussed with my management team and we will be working to address these concerns on a continual basis. If you would like to discuss any of these issues with me personally I would welcome that opportunity. I can be contacted directly via email at rory.fitzpatrick@clayton.ie.

Kind regards

Rory Fitzpatrick

Reviewed 7 January 2014

This Hotel is a real gem. Had every thing I love about a hotel. Food in the bar was great and the service was fantastic. Lots of car parking spaces and a good bus service from the road. Also the hotel will give you a €10 voucher towards a Galway taxi. The bus fare is only €1.80. The room was very clean and warm. The bed quality is 100%. I just love the Clayton hotel

Room Tip: Bed is very comfortable
2  Thank ann19602014