“Very comfortable place”

Clayton Hotel Galway
Ranked #12 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We stayed two nights here while visiting in and around Galway. Our room was very comfortable and spacious. Our interaction with the staff was pleasant; Brenda was especially helpful and gracious. We had a couple of fun times in the bar area as well; thanks to Keiran for concocting some special drinks for me! The only drawbacks from my perspective were the location (a bit of a drive to the downtown and right next to a busy roadway) and the decor (not a fan of that mauve carpet).

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Clayton-GM, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Galway, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear Ausweis,

Thank you so much for your review. It's great to learn you enjoyed your stay so much and that the staff you encountered were the ones who made your stay that little bit more special. I know all the team here at the hotel work had to ensure that all our guests thoroughly enjoy their stay and I know both Brenda and Kieron will be thrilled at the recognition.

Rory Fitzpatrick

Write a ReviewReviews (2,031)

Reviewed 30 April 2014

I stayed at the Clayton recently, The staff were lovely and the pool was very nice. the rooms are lovely and comfortable. Only downside was the food at the restaurant .It was terrible . I got lamb chops and they were so over cooked that they snapped in half. The side dishes were fine but all the meat dishes were awful. I don't whether its because we were on a hen night group and we got left overs or something. or whether there was a wedding on and staff\kitchen were under pressure to keep food coming. left under a hot plate etc. WOULD REALLY LOOK INTO THIS BECAUSE ITS NOT REALLY GOOD ENOUGH. times are hard and throwing money away on service like that is really not on. And the business from hen nights is essential in Galway. I certainly wont be recommending the Clayton myself in that regard..Bit expensive for taxis in and out of the city too. On the more positive side the Breakfast buffet very good though. and the all staff are lovely, really friendly and welcoming. no complaints there..

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Julie O,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay in the Clayton Hotel. I greatly appreciate it when I get any feedback from our guests as often it can help us become better at what we do. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the food in the restaurant, I'll certainly share your comments with the Head Chef and his team and I know they will work harder to ensure we don't let ourselves down in that manner again. Thankfully we accommodate a lot of Hen Parties regularly and indeed the overwhelming response we get is a very positive one. It is an important customer segment for us and only recently we upgraded our offering so it remains fresh and appealing. Your feedback will help us ensure that we continue to deliver the experience and customer service all our guests have come to expect.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Stayed here for a couple of nights with friends.

Hard to fault. All staff were friendly, the rooms a good size and everything spotless. Breakfast was the usual buffet fare - plenty of choice and I liked that you could cut chunks of bread yourself.

The long indoor pool, steam room and sauna were a real bonus. Just remember that you've got to wear a swimming cap in the pool. (The hotel sells them for 3 euros).

It is great value - but you are a 10 euro taxi ride out of the centre of Galway. Apart from that it really was a great base to have (and the dog track is pretty close by on the way into the city centre.)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Leigh C
Clayton-GM, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Galway, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear Leigh C,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a positive review of your recent stay in the Clayton Hotel. I'm really glad you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and I do hope that it won't be too long before you are back with us again.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

I have stayed in the Clayton Hotel, Galway approximately 10 times with Friends and Family I have to say Reception Staff, Aisling, Stephanie, Brenda, Emer, Niamh and Sarah and Co are exceptionally helpful, friendly and so pleasant to deal with I could only recommend this hotel as excellent to anyone wishing to stay there bar staff friendly and food excellent also rooms so clean and spacious also location so near Galway, but away from the city noise. Hope to stay there soon again.

Room Tip: Rooms away from Motorway are much quieter.

Dear Cathy G,

Thank you so much for such a glowing review of your stay in the Clayton Hotel and for the fact that you keep coming back to visit. We really appreciate repeat custom and it validates your opinion even more as you've a lot of experiences to base it on. I know the team at reception will be thrilled at your acknowledgement of their hard work and we're all looking forward to you staying again real soon.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed here for 3nights on the fourth floor rooms are fab large extra living space.would love to return and stay in the presidential suite but very over priced I think. Over all this hotel is great have voted for it in the Galway awards. Hope to return again to the suite a see what it like. But over all the food,bar great.the swimming pool is on the small size abit of a let down to the hotel compare to the rooms and the over all of the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013
Clayton-GM, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Galway, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear Muckro,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay in the Clayton Hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay in one of our Executive Rooms, rest assured the Presidential Suite is a few steps above that again and really has to be experienced. Let me know when you are travelling back to Galway again and I'll see if we can get you in there to try it out.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Myself, my husband and my 2 children (2, 4) have just returned from a weekend in the Clayton Hotel. We stayed in a family room with 2 double beds. The hotel itself is lovely (typical of a Celtic Tiger hotel but don't let that put you off!) and the room was really nice, and very spacious. It was so refreshing to go to a hotel in Ireland and not be ripped off! The staff were lovely, from the people at reception, to the people working in the bar, to the waiters and waitresses, and the lifeguards in the pool. We ate in the bar when we arrived and the food was lovely. The girls only wanted something small to eat and the bar staff were very accommodating. Considering how some Irish hotels charge over the odds for meals and drinks the Clayton was a breath of fresh air. I could not recommend the hotel highly enough. We ate in The Tribes restaurant on one night and the food was nice, not amazing. Dinner was part of our package so I can't comment on value for money.
The swimming pool was fairly basic in layout (more for swimming lengths than bringing children to) but our children still had fun.
Breakfast was really good, lots to choose from, and plenty of it.
There was a wedding on while we were there but we heard no noise from it, which is probably something to do with the layout of the hotel (most of the family rooms seem to be at one end, away from the hustle and bustle).
If there was one complaint we would make it would be the interconnecting doors on both sides of the room we were in. I know they are there so that large families can have rooms beside each other but the noise from the rooms on either side of us could be heard as if the people were in our room because of the interconnecting doors.
Also, the location of the hotel is not great, in that you cannot walk into Galway city. But that is obvious when you look at their website so you know what you are letting yourself in for.
Overall, for the deal that we got on the weekend we went, and for the great staff, the hotel was excellent value, and we would definitely return.

Dear Cookeymonster,

Thank you so much for posting a comprehensive review of your time staying in the Clayton Hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and that you found we offered great value for money. Your acknowledgement of the good job the team are doing here is gratefully received and I really do hope it won't be too long before you return.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Just back from a great break in the Clayton, the staff are great, so helpful and pleasant. Food both in the bar and restaurant was very good, lots of healthy options for children included on the menu. Family rooms are spacious clean and very comfortable. The children loved the kiddies club, it ran for over 2 hours each pm. We will definitely be going back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Clayton-GM, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Galway, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear RosyTee,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay in the Clayton Hotel. I'm delighted you and your family enjoyed so many aspects of your visit. Our kiddies club will run again for the summer (July & August) and again at the school midterms so I do hope I'll see you back here later in the year.