“Reasonable if you get a special rate”

Clayton Hotel Galway
Ranked #11 of 45 Hotels in Galway
Dublin, Ireland
“Reasonable if you get a special rate”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I attended the evening reception of a wedding in the Clayton. I got a special rate as I was a guest of €100 for the room without breakfast which in 2014 I would say for this hotel was reasonable but
the online rate was €180 for the room before I had said I was with the wedding which I would have felt was an exorbitant price for this standard of hotel.
The room was spacious with a double bed and a single bed, clean and comfortable, with a decent
travel sized iron and ironing board, the tea making faciltiy was poor with only tea or coffee (for this price id expect a auld plastic wrapped digestive). The bathroom decor was the rooms strongest selling point with pretty glass mosaic tiles, a drench shower and a section of the mirror heated that didn't for up. However it took a few flushes of the toilet to work.
My overall reaction would be a bit "meh" and they clayton would not be on my list when I return to galway again, I can't think of anything particularly special about the place.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Hebrew first
Navan, Ireland
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This has to be one of the best hotels we have stayed in,from we arrived at reception to when we checked out it was just perfect.The staff were so friendly and helpful in all areas of the hotel.The bedroom was so big and bright and a lovely bathroom,bed was so comfortable.Food was top class and was very well presented,both breakfast and dinner and fantastic desert.Very nice bar which also served food.Overall great hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank andy m
Stotfold, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

The hotel was very busy with many coach trips checking in when we arrived. However, the front desk staff were very efficient and helpful.

Our room was in a nice quiet corner, overlooking the road but well insulated against the noise … apart from the neighbours (adjoining door) … a long way from the lifts but ok for us as that meant limited foot traffic late an night. The room was very large and spacious, nice and clean with a very comfortable bed. As with many hotels, there were no comfortable chairs in the room … given the size of the room, a couple of tub chairs would have been a real bonus.

We ate in the bistro the first evening. The food was good but service was very patchy … servers seemed very stretched and I had to go and get the 'one and only' wine list from the bar myself. The bistro adjoins the bar area which was very busy and noisy. Overall the dining experience was ok but we were not tempted to repeat it.

Breakfast was a bit chaotic. Staff were doing their best but with a huge volume of elderly guests (many with walking difficulty) the buffet approach caused many problems. Some of these guests were clearly confused and sat on the wrong tables when they had collected their food or found that someone else had been given their table whilst they were away. (If large coach parties of elderly guests are regularly at the hotel, it would be worth having a special area close to the buffet area where they could be seated.) We managed to obtain breakfast each day but I can't say that it was a relaxed experience. The food we had was good but we had to wait for some items to be replenished on both days despite working to optimise the 'traffic light' system … good system, by the way.

I have given this hotel a very good rating because overall it met the majority our needs very well. It was well priced, conveniently located for our purposes and we had a good night's sleep both nights.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Newtownabbey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

On approach the Clayton Hotel is as sleek and industrial looking as the retail units facing it. A great hulking mass of tempered steel and clean glass is the first impression that most weary travellers will see upon arrival. The motorway between Dublin and Galway is efficient and bordered with picturesque Irish countryside, but even it becomes monotonous over time, so the Clayton hotel’s modern appearance and dominating presence is a welcome sight.

A mounting sense of anticipation and relief filled us as my sister and I pulled into the car park on a bright and for once sunny Galway afternoon. The availability of car parking spaces was gratefully noted despite the size of the hotel. Lugging our bags, of which there were many surprising given the fact that we were only planning on staying the one night, the front of the hotel loomed towards us like some transparent creature. An impressive glass revolving door was the method of choice for entering the hotel, a functional item that could potentially provide hours of amusement for small children or myself if I allowed my inner child to indulge in such frivolity.

The hotel lobby was as chic and as friendly as the outside suggested, the bistro bar could be seen leading to the right and an impressive staircase led to the restaurant upstairs. Set just off left, the three lobby desks were perhaps slightly perplexing, given that most hotels opt for a conventional long table desk style rather than the individual podiums that staff operated from here.

We were welcomed politely and some mild conversation was initiated as our details were processed. The transaction was handled swiftly and professionally and our room keys were passed over. After a few quick directions we were set loose in the direction of our final destination for the day.

The hotel was clean and well presented, staff were friendly and the layout was well sign posted. After a few minutes of travel we reached our room, situated on the second floor right at the very end of the hallway. They say first impressions are very important and my first impressions of this room were very favourable indeed. Large, spacious and very impressive were just some of the words that sprung to mind on seeing this room for the first time.

We were given one of the corner rooms that overlooked the approach from the dual carriageway, and a large portion of the room was overtaken by glass as a result. A couple of comfortable single-seater chairs were pressed lovingly into one corner of the room, a section bordered on three sides by glass, which made a great place to just sit and watch the world go by.

To say this room was large would be an understatement, two double sized beds comfortably sat along one wall, which avoided a fight over who would get the double. The bathroom was as equally as impressive, with his and her sinks presented well in front of a large mirror. The bathroom was functional though the bath itself could have stood to be a little cleaner. But on the grand-scale of things a few stray hairs weren’t enough to tarnish an already favourable opinion.

The room was well equipped with all normal mod-cons and the free Wi-Fi was an excellent added bonus especially for tech minded people like my sister and I. Once settled in we both agreed that rather than trek elsewhere we’d simply prefer to have dinner in the Tribes restaurant on the first floor. I called to make reservations and was told that even though they were fully booked they’d still try to fit us in, a fact for which we were both very grateful.

After a quick freshening up we headed out of the hotel and across the street to the Dunnes Stores located just beside the hotel. Location wise the Clayton Hotel is excellent for anyone with business on the east side of the City. A local bus comes by every 30 minutes and the city centre itself is only a ten minute drive away. It should be noted however that the junction at Briarhill shopping centre is extremely busy at peak hours, so travellers should plan ahead.

Once back at the hotel we relaxed for a bit, making use of the comfortable room and air conditioning on a rare sunny day on the west coast of Ireland. At around 8.35 that evening we both headed downstairs to the restaurant with the hopes of getting some quality food. The restaurant was busy as they had indicated on the phone but we were seated right away. Our server for the evening was Aisling who was attentive throughout the meal and made us both feel very welcome.

My sister and I both chose the €35 three course meal option, but weren’t bowled over by the choice of available starters. We both chose the vegetable soup, which was unfortunately tasteless and lacklustre. But thankfully the main course more than made up for the disappointment. My sister chose the lamb and I had the pork, both appropriately sized in the portions department, the accompanying veg and mash lifted an already excellent meal to new heights. For our desert we selected the strawberry meringue, which was light and uplifting after a heavy roast. The desert was excellent, the strawberry sorbet in particular was tart and flavoursome, we both could have had several bowls of the stuff.

All in all dinner was satisfactory but we both walked away wondering if the €35 price had been worth it, when looking at the separate items on the menu, we both couldn’t help but feel a little short changed, especially after the disappointing starter. But the atmosphere of the well laid out restaurant and the wonderful staff did help to ease the discomfort.

That evening we had a couple of drinks in the bar downstairs, which was showing the final round 16 match of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. The bistro bar had a welcoming atmosphere, though the TV screen could have stood to be a little bigger, from where we were sitting the players looked like ants! But all in all it was the perfect way to end a good day.

Normally in unfamiliar places I would wake several times during the night and unfortunately this time was no different. However the room itself was not the issue nor was it the quality of the bed, it was simply me. Noise was not a problem through the double glazed windows and there was no issue with it travelling through from other rooms either. The beds were clean and very comfortable, I almost wish I could have taken one home with me.

We both woke the next day refreshed and ready to go. A quick jaunt downstairs brought us to the restaurant once more but this time for a self-service breakfast. All the makings of a good Irish fry were available and food was plentiful and warm. We both had fun with the automatic pancake maker, once again my inner child coming out to play. After gorging ourselves on too many sausages we went back upstairs to pack. Thankfully the Clayton Hotel boasts a checkout time of 12 noon, something for which we were both grateful for as it meant we didn’t have to rush around after breakfast.

We made our way out of the room for a final time and found our way back to the lobby. After loading up the car we came back in to check out, once again the staff on the desk were lovely and definitely memorable as we prepared to leave. As we got back into the car and made our way out of the hotel car park we both felt a sense of melancholy that it was all over.

Our reason for visiting was a simple one, I’d previously lived in Galway for a year and the place just sort of sticks with you. I’d stayed at the Clayton hotel once before and my time then was comparable to this time too. The hotel was lovely and our stay was brilliant, staff were friendly and very professional and the hotel itself was clean, spacious and wonderfully laid out. The only thing that could have made it better was if there was some recreational space outside for guests to enjoy, a few plants and trees would certainly go a long way in lifting the silver and grey monotony of the building, especially when it’s sunny outside. But despite this, the Clayton hotel is certainly a new favourite of mine and I would recommend it to anyone visiting Galway city. The room rate is very reasonably for a hotel of this calibre and situated only a stone’s throw away from the Galway horse racing track and several large businesses, it makes an ideal location for both businessman and traveller alike. All in all, this hotel is definitely worth a visit and hopefully I’ll be able to go back someday soon.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Kate H
Clayton-GM, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Galway, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Kate H,

What can I say? Thank you so much for posting such a wonderfully descriptive and positive review of your recent stay in the Clayton Hotel. I really do appreciate all the feedback I get as I honestly believe it can often help us become better at what we do. Valid feedback helps us identify not only areas that we need to work on but also where and when we get things right. Your feedback is full of helpful points and I'm really grateful for the time you must have put into this review.
Hopefully you will get a chance to visit Galway again and I do hope that if that's going to happen you'll choose the Clayton Hotel as you base once more.

Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed two nights at this hotel. The staff were helpful. Our bedroom was pleasant, quite spacious and well appointed with a double and single bed, circular table and two chairs, plenty of wardrobe space, a safe but no fridge. Clean. An iron and ironing board were available. The bathroom was a good size with plenty of shelf space, a magnifying mirror on the wall and good towels. The wash hand basin looked smart, with a flat bottom, but was totally impractical and came with a tap which no matter how gently one turned it on, sprayed all the surrounding area and drenched clothes worn! It was impossible to even rinse a toothbrush without getting soaked! Convenient for shopping complex which was over the road. However, this road was a dual carriageway and therefore very noisy. Our room was double glazed but this did not offer much sound reduction. Good value for money though.

1 Thank StaffordshireChicken
Dear StaffordshireChicken,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay in the Clayton Hotel. I'm glad that overall you enjoyed your time with us despite the issues you had with the sink! I must admit to not having heard a similar complaint before but maybe there was a water pressure issue in play here as well. Certainly I'll look into it and consider these points for any remedial works we may engage in in time.

County Cavan, Ireland
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel at very short notice and were pleasantly surprised at how well we were looked after.
The room was bright, big and clean. The kids loved the swimming pool and breakfast.
The hotel is located on the outskirts of the city beside a shopping centre with a KFC.
It is very easy to navigate to the city centre or further afield as the hotel is on the Dublin Road.
We never needed the Sat Nav, all the roads were so well signposted.
We will definitely use this hotel as a base again, mainly because the staff were so warm and friendly.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank ClanNaGaelige
Dear ClanNaGaelige,

Thank you so much for posting a review after your recent stay in the Clayton Hotel. I'm really grateful for your kind words in relation to the staff, everyone here at the hotel works hard to ensure all our guests feel welcomed and appreciated and it's nice to hear some recognition of their efforts. I do hope it won't be too long before you are back here with us again.

Grayslake, Illinois
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The Clayton Hotel has a modern feel to it. The rooms were wonderful and very clean. Staff was extremely helpful -- especially with directions! Close proximity to Galway City --- drive is less then 15 minutes. WIFI is free and works great. Hotel breakfast and bar were fabulous. Convenient grocery store located across the street. Parking onsite is free. Loved our time here!!!

Dear Nicola H,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay in the Clayton Hotel. I'm glad that the hotel obviously ticked all the boxes for you and I really do appreciate your recommendation.