“An Indifferent Experience”

Clayton Hotel Galway
Ranked #11 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed 2 November 2010

Travelled to the Clayton for mid-term break with family - 3N B&B + 1 D. Had actually turned down the chance to stay in a very reputable Galway City hotel at Corporate Rate based on the reviews here.

Check-In was friendly and pleasant and we were quickly assigned a good sized family room on 2nd Level facing the dual carraigeway - Noise isn't really a problem for us sleeping. Discovered that the cot I had requested when making the booking was not present. Rang Reception at 4pm and was told cot would be delivered to the room. Decided to bring Kids for swim to nice leisure area and headed for the bar for something to eat. On returning to the room after 8:30pm, the cot had still not arrived and went down to reception and asked. Eventually, the cot arrived at 9:30pm.

On entering the bar on the first evening, we seated ourselves and a member of staff brought us some menus. The kids were hungry and tired following the journey so we were anxious to get them fed. A pleasant member of staff took our order and we sat back with a drink in anticipation. Unfortunately it seems that our order was either lost or not rang in as people who had entered and ordered after us were receiving their food. As the kids were getting impatient now, and the member of staff who took the order was nowhere to be seen, we called another member to check on our order. This girl returned to tell us that our order was on the way. We waited 50 mins for the food to be delivered to the table and after reappearing the staff member who originally took our order never looked in or direction or acknowledged us. No apologies - nothing. We put it down to a one off and said nothing.

On our last evening myself and my wife decided we would feed the kids early in the bar and ship them off to the great Kids Club allowing us to enjoy our dinner in the restaurant. On ordering food for the kids, my wife also ordered a cappucino. The kids food arrived promptly and we got busy feeding them. Once again it seemed like the coffee had been forgotten and after 20-25 mins my wife decided she no longer wanted it. We hadn't complained as that is not really our way. My wife works in the restaurant industry and believes in the principles of attention to detail. Once again the staff member who took the order reappeared as we asked for the bill and we promptly received the bill and the 30 min cappucino. My wife explained that she didn't want it now and would not be paying for it.

Later that evening while having dinner, we were approached by a very nice gentleman who was the Bistro Manager in the bar. He had heard of our incidents and apologised profusely for the standards not being met. He very generously paid for a bottle of wine for our dinner and invited us to have lunch on check-out the next day in the bar. I must say that his efforts were extremely genuine to rectify the situation and we really appreciated it. It was just a pity that the rest of the staff did not come up to his high standards.

Overall I was impressed with the hotel as a whole but the attention to detail and service of the staff did not live up to my expectations which are not excessively high. When you travel with small children, this can be stressful enough on its own so having to deal with the type of situations above.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Clayton-GM, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Galway, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2010

Dear dubcat09,

I am very sorry about the service errors that occured during your stay with us. I fully agree with your wifes belief in the principles of attention to detail. It is normally something we pride ourselves on and we did not deliver during your stay with us.

I was very pleased to see that our Bistro Manager did try and rectify the matter with you.

Thank you for your possitive comments also. Through contructive feedback such as yours we endevour to make sure we maintain our high standards.

Edward Sweeney

Write a ReviewReviews (2,011)

Reviewed 31 October 2010

Having stayed at the clayton for a hen party,I was looking forward to my return trip for the wedding. I was not disappointed. the welcome on checking in was so friendly . we were able to gather in the bar before being called for the meal (great space to catch up with everyone in comfort.) the wedding space and atmosphere was so relaxing and enjoyable. the food was good. really enjoyed my stay at the hotel and look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo

Dear Emes2,

We were all delighted to read how much you enjoyed your repeat visit to us and that you had a good time at the wedding in particular.

We look forward to weloming you back to The Clayton the next time you are in Galway.

Reviewed 27 October 2010

I stayed at this hotel a few days ago - 21st and 22nd of October 2010. It was part of a two night BB and one evening meal deal. On arriving I asked if we could book the meal for the first night as it was my birthday. I was told the restaurant was closed and only opens during Friday, Saturday and Sunday. They said we could get bar food but advised us to wait until the second night when the restaurant was open as they raved about how nice it was. So we re-arranged our plans. What a mistake!!!!!!!!

My God - Awful Awful food!!!! I will try and describe just how bad it was. We ordered a chicken caesar salad for starters.... the chicken was FREEZING COLD - like as if they opened a packet of sandwich meat and cut it up, Iceberg Lettuce (on a caesar salad I ask???) and so much dressing!!! And no parmesan, grated cheese - Cheddar!!!! Then the mains, my fiances pork was fatty fatty fatty, it was missing ingredients that were mentioned on the menu - the waiter tried to fob us off by saying we misread the menu - but we didn't as we pointed out. I got Supreme of Chicken, (nothing supreme about this) on a bed of mushroom risotto. I am pretty sure the chef never made risotto - thats if there was a chef even on the premises. The rice was gloopy, was not risotto rice at all, no taste of mushrooms and the chicken was rubber. It was also missing the potato crisps that were mentioned on the menu too - Maybe the Chef should get to the supermarket !!!!!

Then came dessert - by far the worst of all - my brownie was a pale beige colour, burned on one side and was so oily!!! Needless to say we had a word with the waiter.

So, overall, the hotel is nice, the food is absolutely TERRIBLE!!! AWFUL!!! and insulting to anyone with taste buds.

2  Thank Lbowe_10
Clayton-GM, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Galway, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2010

Dear Lbowe_10,

I am very sorry about your very poor restaurant experience with us.

What you experienced is certainly not the standard we normally deliver and there are no excuses for what happened.

I will be contacting you through Tripadvisor so I can speak to you personally about this.

Reviewed 27 October 2010

Stayed for 3 night break - Hotel very comfortable, free convenient parking, Staff very helpful and friendly. Food top class. Very comfortable bedroom -great nights sleep.
Very relaxing break - just what we wanted! Located outside City, but shops - (incl. Dunnes Stores) just across the road.

1  Thank kathleenjoe

Dear kathleenjoe,

Thank you for your great review. We are very pleased you had such a relaxing break.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Clayton soon again.

Reviewed 26 October 2010

we stayed at the clayton for two nights last weekend, i have to say it was a fantastic hotel, staff were very friendly at all times, would recommend for couples,families etc, we stayed on the fourth floor it was a great room with balcony. it is a taxi ride to city which costs about 15 euro!!

Dear kacey42,

We are delighted you had such a great stay with us. Thank you for recognising how friendly the staff are and for recommending us.

The next time you are in Galway, we are looking forward to extending the same hospitality to you.

Reviewed 24 October 2010

We booked a special deal (2adults & 2 children, 2 nights bed & breakfast, one evening meal, plus a game of bowling). On hotels website.
The hotel is located out of town on a bypass. (£15 taxi)
The hotel family rooms are spacious and well kept. (beds are very comfortable)
The hotel staff are friendly and reception staff are very helpful.
Our children loved the pool and the kids club. The bowling was fun (Bowling is at another location)
Breakfast was very good, with a great variety.
Dinner was very disappointing, the menu reads well but the food is very bland.
We all had a fantastic weekend, we really enjoyed our stay here. Its a great hotel, it's a pity that evening meal is not up to par with the rest.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family

Dear Arlivily,

Thank you for your positive review. We were especially pleased to read that your children loved the pool and health club.

We have a new restaurant menu starting next week that will offer more tantilizing food offerings.
The next time you come to Galway, we look forward to you trying it.

Reviewed 20 October 2010

I visited the Clayton Hotel in August with my wife, we had a 3 night stay courtesy of a Super Valu break.
Upon arriving to the hotel I was met with a huge smile by the superb receptionist Stephanie. After the usual chit chat and friendly conversation we continued with the check in, Stephanie realised that my wife and I were on a short break without our children and decided that she would upgrade us. Little did we know as we approached our room that we were being upgraded to the Presidential Suite, the best room in the hotel. This was just a fantastic gesture and it started our break perfectly. The room was amazing, with luxurious fixtures & fittings and it was HUGE!
We ate a meal in the restaurant that night and we had no faults at all with the quality. The service was a little questionable, however I put that down to some youthful exuberance amongst the very young waiting staff. Apart from breakfast, this was the only time we ate in the hotel. Breakfast was plentiful and set us up for the day.
On each of our 3 nights we caught the bus outside the hotel and went into Quay Street for the nightlife. The bus was certainly very handy and seemed to be fairly regular.
We had a few drinks in the bar over the course of our stay, staff were friendly and efficient.
Overall, this is a great hotel. We look forward to returning in the future with our 2 girls as we noticed a lot of families staying and thought they all seemed very content in the Clayton.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Clayton-GM, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Galway, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2010

Dear AidyTyrone,

I was very pleased to read you had a great stay with us in August.

In particular, I want to thank you for recognising the service and hospitality that Stephanie extended to you.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future,