“Breath taking”

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Breath taking”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

What a amazing experience! It's a nice challenge to climb on the top of the skellig. The stairs are really narow, but if you're prudent, there's no problem. The puffy's bird are friendly and so cute!

2 Thank Lili2309

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
dublin
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Unmissable experience, jaw droppingly, breathtakingly beautiful”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Without a shadow of a doubt, the most impressive place I have ever been to in Ireland. We took the trip with Brendan Casey from www.skelligislands.com and I would highly recommend him. We departed Portmagee on time (9:45am) and took a slight detour out of the harbour where we saw some seals in the water and lying on the rocks. I'm not sure how long the trip took as I was enjoying myself too much to be bothered watching the clock. We arrived at Skellig Michael and were informed to be back at the boat at 13:15 which left us plenty of time to explore. We could not have asked for a more perfect day to visit as the sun was splitting the sky and it wasn't too windy. I can imagine the experience in less favourable conditions would be very different. So we set off along the path where we were greeted by the nesting puffins. It really was incredible how close you could get to them. Snapping a postcard perfect picture of them was easy. A few minutes later we arrived at the base of the steps where a member of the OPW ran through a safety briefing and reminded us of the dangers on the island. I am quite nervous of heights so the initial ascent proved scary however once I just focussed on the steps and didn't look down, it wasn't too bad. There is a hand rail for a few metres but other than that, one wrong step and it's certain death. Don't let that put you off though as it really is worth the effort to get to the top. Along the way we made a few stops to take in the views and admire the nesting puffins. Upon reaching the summit and entering the monastery, another member of the OPW was giving a talk on the history of the island. It was a nice surprise as I didn't expect any guides on the island and their level of knowledge and passion for the island was obvious. We rambled around the monastery for about an hour, had a quick lunch and then began the descent. Again, our boat captain was punctual and on the return trip, we took time out to stop and look at the nesting birds on the smaller of the Skellig Islands.
It really is a fascinating, humbling, awe-inpsiring place. A trip to Kerry would be incomplete without visiting the Skellig Islands.

1 Thank fletch555
Dublin, Ireland
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 149 helpful votes
“So much more that expected, wonderful”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

In a galaxy far far away, there were puffins... Jedi puffins!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

So I was on the Skelligs last week, fives stars all the way. A must see and if you can, go in breeding season to see the puffins in all their colourful glory.

Booking a seat on a boat to get there is essential as the place is very popular, so we booked with Roddys on the recommendation of the Goldens of Kells. On this day, the Roddys seem to be the first two boats to leave Portmagee for the Skelligs, so if you are keen to get there early, book with Roddys.

The boat trip was a bit testing due to the sea conditions and I was feeling a bit queasy by the time we got there. A bit wet too, so I recommend you wear rain gear on the crossing to the Islands. But once we got to Skellig Micheal and onto solid ground, my stomach settled and we took in everything.

It was wonderful: the scenery, the views, the monastry, Little Skellig and especially the puffins. What I was really looking forward to seeing. They were wonderful. And everywhere. Bring a camera and binoculars if you want to see the puffins and the other bird life. Little Skellig has a most impressive Gannet colony and after leaving Skellig Michael the boat did a round trip of that.

Coincidently an Air Corp helicopter flew around the island a few times, to the point it was getting annoying, when it finally landed. The crew were escorting an older American fellow around the island. After the news yesterday, I'm putting two and two together and getting LucasFilms executive :)

2 Thank Cristin L
Orlando
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Not to be missed”
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

I have a fear of heights so had some trepidation about my ability to handle the steep climb to the top. It was indeed steep and no railings but I kept my eyes focused on the step ahead of me and took them steadily. It was definitely doable and well worth it! As a bird watcher, this place was amazing. Nesting puffins everywhere as well as kittiwakes and guillemots nesting on the steep cliffs. The view at the top was phenomenal. Afterwards our boat took a trip around Little Skellig to see the nesting gannets. What an amazing sight. And we saw seals in the water at the base of the island! My husband and I both agreed this was the highlight of our 8 day visit to Ireland. If the weather cooperates for the boat ride over, don't pass up the opportunity to visit.

3 Thank zookeeperOrlando
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“I avoided Joe Roddy”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I tried to book a trip with Joe Roddy (and book a B&B with the son for two nights) but they never replied to my email which I now realise was a lucky escape. The lack of competition (all boats charge the same 50 Euros) seems to result in poor customer service. Perhaps the licensing body could introduce competition on service and quality, if not on price. The visit to Skellig Michael was memorable and I was highly impressed with the knowledgeable government department guide on the site.

6 Thank Sean M