“Surprisingly upscale food”

Price range: US$8 - US$46
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood, Contemporary, Grill
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The award winning Park Restaurant, at The Killarney Park Hotel, is one of Kerry’s most notable restaurants, specialising in traditional cuisine with a contemporary twist, the restaurants resident pianist creates the mood that mirrors the cuisine – classical and creative.
New York City, New York
“Surprisingly upscale food”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We are often hesitant to eat in hotels, but the Park Restaurant was an exception. The menu was diverse, and the presentation and quality was first rate. Overall, it was a wonderful meal.

Visited August 2013

Galway, Ireland
“Shocked!”
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Went for a spot of lunch in the Park last week, as it has fabulous gardens for the children to explore. I was firstly shocked by the amount of cigerette ends that were left all over the ground. It was two o'clock by the time we arrived, how the grounds had not been cleaned up by then is beyond me. We had to clean them up ourselves. I decided not to eat, just had a drink which was nothing speical considering the price. My friends had sandwhichs which they weren't impressed with either. I would expect more from a 5 star, and it is certainly not in par with other 5 star hotels in the town. The service was nothing to write home about either, our waiter looked constantly confused. It took him ages to find an ashtray which could explain why the gardens were in such a state. There are many 4 star hotels in Killarney which provide better service and excellent food, I will be frequenting them before I would even conside the Park again.

3 Thank GMcGuire
Ireland
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed 30 June 2013

My sister and I had dinner on Saturday night in the park restaurant. It had such a great atmosphere, piano being played in the background, so relaxing. We had main course and three sides, we were so full. The flavor of the steak and lobster was wonderful. The cod was mouth watering with delicate flavors mixed through.
The staff were so good providing us with petit fours after the meal and allowing us to take them away for later!
It was excellent food for the price of the meal.Really good value in very special surroundings.
Service was exceptional, we are looking forward to returning.

• Visited June 2013
Paris, France
“Afternoon Tea”
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Between Christmas and the New Year, two friends and I went for afternoon tea at the Killarney Park Hotel. I booked in advance and when we arrived we were delighted to discover that we had an entire sitting room to relax in. Each member of staff we encountered was very warm, friendly and professional; they even suggested that two afternoon teas would be sufficient for three people, which it most certainly was. The afternoon tea had a beautiful selection of sweet and savoury treats: sandwiches with egg mayonaise, cucumber or salmon, gingerbread, lemon cake, macarons, chocolate tart... We also had fresh pots of tea provided and some complimentary homemade biscuits to take with us. We will definitely be back.

• Visited December 2012
KPH-Kerry, Director of Sales at The Park Restaurant, responded to this review, 7 March 2013
Dear BoldKitty - thank you for your review of our Afternoon Tea. We're delighted you all enjoyed your time with us and will look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Lots of photos of food in The Park Restuarant to entice you in we hope.
With kind regards,
Niamh Burns
Ireland
“2 star service for a 5 star price”
Reviewed 2 January 2013

I recently went out with my parents and girlfriend for a family occasion at the Killarney Park over the Christmas period. To say the whole experience was disappointing would be an understatement. When we entered the hotel we decided that we would choose the bar menu however the bar was full and were shown into the room adjoining the bar.

The menu appeared to my taste to be quiet dated, prawn cocktail, seafood pie, lambs liver and bacon bread and butter pudding, crème brulee I kept thinking to myself that it was a bit of a throw back to the 70s and quiet unimaginative especially for a hotel that is billed as a 5 star. All of the party decided to skip starter and order a main which consisted of a seafood pie (I enjoy seafood and take the opportunity when I return to Ireland to avail of the amazing local seafood), seafood crepes and lambs liver. My girlfriend specifically asked the waitress for just salad instead of chips for the seafood and the other dishes were listed on the menu as having an accompanying salad.

After an excessive wait the mains duly arrived. To say it was an eye opener would be an understatement! Presentation of the dishes was woeful (excluding the lambs liver), the crepes where thrown on the plate without a second thought and chips dumped on the plate beside them (even thou one dish was specifically requested to have just SALAD), the seafood pie consisted or a 6-7 inch diameter bowl with a very basic looking seafood pie no garnish and no salad on any of the dishes that were billed on the menu as having an accompanying salad. After requesting that salad after approx a 6 minute wait one small salad arrived. Considering the seafood pie and seafood crepe is 18euro and 13euro respectively and we would have gotten better produce at a fraction of the price in Quinlans Seafood restaurant in the town

After an uneventful dinner one which I had to supplement the main with bread from the starter as the portion was mediocre at best …two desserts were ordered along with coffee and tea. Now it isn’t exactly a secret that desserts in restaurants are prepared in advance. Without exaggeration it took 20 – 25 mins from when the desserts were ordered to when they were delivered to our table. However the desserts that were placed on our table were actually desserts for the table adjacent and were promptly picked up by the waiting staff and delivered to them and no apology was offered. Our correct desserts arrived shortly after again no apology for the earlier indiscretion was offered (as it was the same waitress). I literally kept having to remind myself that this was a so called five star establishment.

We would have lodged a complaint to someone in a higher capacity however we didn’t want to spoil the atmosphere of the evening. A five star establishment is supposed to interpret and cater to every patrons need not leaving a patron feeling dissatisfied in any sense of the word.
To summarise I shall not return in future as I feel the price is unjustified for the product received. There a plenty of other restaurants in the town that would value my custom when I return back to Killarney in future.

6 Thank dcliff