“Good bed and breakfast in Killarney”
Review of Shepherds Lodge

Shepherds Lodge
Shepherds Lodge
Ranked #88 of 143 Killarney B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 August 2011

Good base in order to visit the ring of Kerry.

Very friendly owners. Clean room and well equipped.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Petervanburen

Reviewed 12 August 2011

The Shepherd's Lodge may be a little outside of Killarney but that was what suited me perfect. You will a walk of approximately 20min to the towncenter of Killarney but what is far more important that it's only a 5min walk to the entrance of the beautiful Killarney National Park. From there on you have an amazing route to the Muckross Abbey, the Muckross House, the Torc waterfalls and all the other beautiful sights located on the middle lake and the outer lakes.

The Shepherd's Lodge itself is run by Sheila and her family. Sheila is your personal host and it was a very warm welcoming and stay. The house itself just smells adorable. I'm always happy if I wake up and have a smell of flowers in my nose. The room and the shower were very clean and although I had a shared bathroom there did never - in 3 nights & days - occure any hygiene problem.

The only maybe not so amazing part was the breakfast - I'd have enjoyed some baked beans coming along with my irish breakfast but therefore you'll get black & white pudding.

For the high season the price was OK, I'd say.

What is great as well is that Sheila can get you all the informations and also do all your tour bookings, if U like her to.

To sum it up - it was a nearly perfect stay. I really had a pleasant time and would recommend this B&B!

Slante
Marc

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Marc L
Reviewed 28 April 2011

The B&B is run by Sheila, she gave us a good reception and we are very delighted that she offered us to pick up from Railway station. This B&B is also having tie-up with various other tour operators who could pick up from the door step. The place is very quite and best suit for holiday leisure. The National park is very close by. Sheila was very very kind and was helping us find good restuarant and gave nice plan to get around Kerry.

Room Tip: Each room is best than the other
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank JaghanathanSaikumar
Reviewed 12 April 2010

while visiting killarney and the lovely national park we stayed at the shepherds lodge for 2 nights, the host was very helpful and guided us to all the right places, the shepherds lodge is a beautiful place, the breakfast was delicious especially the brown bread and the decor was very nice our room was very cosy, it was also great to access the internet cause i never travel without my laptop. i will definitely be recommending this B&B

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sans65
Reviewed 3 April 2010

The McCarthys, who run this B& B are incredibly accomodating (I changed my room from a single to a double with no notice), friendly, with the house being clean and appealing. I stayed 8 nights during the All Irish Dance Festival and it was wonderful to stay with them for the duration. They were available and more than kind when I had questions or needed help. By the time I left, it almost felt as if I were leaving family. And the brown bread is to die for!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank traveler80132
Reviewed 26 March 2010

We stayed with Sheila for 5 nights while My daughter danced at the INEC . She was always so sweet and full of information when we needed it . Our luggage was lost for the duration of our trip and she directed us to some great discount stores to replenish our wardrobe. I enjoyed my Irish breakfasts and my daughter enjoyed that there were other lighter choices for her. I even got Sheila's recipe for Guinness and walnut bread and have made it twice and barely got a piece because my family loved it so much! Sheila has a nice TV lounge with coffee and tea available . My only concern was that Sheila likes to keep her house pretty cold in the morning! I enjoyed the location as it was right by the INEC and close to many sights. I would recommend Shephard's Lodge to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank lala1958
Reviewed 18 March 2010

We stayed here for two nights, we went to a concert in the INEC just around the corner. And we were able to go with Martin on the horse and cart on Sunday afternoon. Very nice people, they know their stuff.

1  Thank JJLynch325