“Bit chaotic but ok” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Sugan Hostel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Sugan Hostel
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
“Bit chaotic but ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

Have been here a few times, its quite a fine place. Location is perfect, near the bus station and close to the shops.
I don't like the kitchen so much, its very small and not everything is working properly. The lounge is very small but cosy and I always meet nice people over here.

The dorm has an own toilet and bathroom, could be a bit cleaner but well, further its ok.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Rennes, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Comfortable bed. but the bathroom was not very clean and the decoration a little kitsch and old. My room was just above the Pub and we couldn't sleep with the noise. The breakfast was simple and the kitchen has many elements to cook. I stayed in a 8 rooms and we had just 1 shower and 1 toilet outside for all it was not realy easy the morning.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank pollyrunrun
Stuttgart, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

Good price for a twin room with a teeny en-suite plus "breakfast" (just toast and some cereal and coffee/tea, which was fine really). Nice man who checked us in and was there to help. The building is obviously old so parts of it are a little odd, and it does have a slight smell. A towel wasn't provided (this is common) but I forgot to ask in time so we didn't get to shower. The room was cold even though there was a radiator, but maybe it was just a cold night. OK beds, good for the price. Overall it was a good price and good location and that's most important. Comfortable enough and much better than other hostels I've been in! I would recommend it for sure. It wasn't as loud as I had read, though I swear at 4 AM I heard some sounds, but it was late so I was pretty out of it. I did not see ANY other people in the hostel but I know there were people in the next door room. I thought it'd be hopping on the night before St. Patrick's day!

Room Tip: A private room!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Bucharest, Romania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

We were there in August 2011.
---------------------------------------
Pros: very good location, nice staff, nice travelers. We were three persons and we booked a 4 beds room. The 4th person was a girl and she spent most of the time reading a book. In the reception area people were smoothly talking and... I personally felt at home. :-)
No (heavy) drinking, no loud voices, no smoking inside... I liked it a lot.
The kitchen had everything it needed for a home kitchen, and had a lot of space.
---------------------------------------
Cons: I said "best if you are under 30" because I am 34 and I saw:
* sheets were already on beds - and for a hostel, I like to be delivered when I arrive (to be sure they are fresh). I don't mind to receive the sheets and pack up the bed myself.
* a kind of moisture very close to a mold status (including the smell)
* the showers were "push" style: to shower you had to push a button every 10 seconds
* IMPORTANT: after the shower, I didn't found a place to hang the towel to dry -> and maybe this is the source of the moisture and smell in the room, because everybody hang the towels in it - but you don't have a choice!
* too many framed pictures in the room. We counted 13-14 framed pictures in a 4 beds room - the owner should think about SPACE: you don't crowd a small room with pictures and crazy "futuristic" painting on wall (picture attached).
* my girlfriend said the room was tooooo small for 4 beds (the kitchen was bigger than the room)
* the breakfast room didn't have a window... and that's not perfect.
--------------------------------
All the place need a fresh-up to be perfect. Not a lot of work but some military style cleaning program for a few days and everything will be perfect.
--------------------------------
I wrote a lot of cons but this will not keep me to return there.
And I will certainly return there if I will travel again in Killarney.

P.S.: I am a traveler (in hostels) since I was 25. Nine years ago I would't saw any cons to any place. I am picky now because I grew up... and maybe I should check in to hotels now, but I LOVE the hostels spirit - and Sugan Hostel definitely have this spirit.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank ciureanuc
Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

The Atmosphere in the hostel is great, altough there were some cons to our stay:
A lot of noise from the bar next door.
Weird smell at the room.

If that doesn't matter to you - I recomment this Place.

Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Cork, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2011

Recently booked to stay here with 2 other friends. On the day in particular we were participating in a charity cycle from cork to killarney (85K) and then a hike on the same day up carrantoohill (highest mountain in ireland). Due to adverse weather conditions up the mountain we were over 3 hours delayed coming down the mountain. As we had finished the cycle and had to immediately go to the base of the mountain....we had no time to check in. But, i thought having booked the room with credit card that all would be ok and there would be no issue.

so we arrive down the mountain at 10pm. We are starving, cold, soaked to the skin, and every bone and muscle aching....3 very unfit friends i should have stated!! I had numerous missed calls on my mobile from an unknown number so i called back, i was then abused in a foreign language on the phone by the hotel "manager" the swear words he used while speaking to me i recognised from other people i know from that country. And guess what?? No shower, no warm bed, no room at the inn, unless however we were willing to pay the two workers their wage rate for them having to stay at work late.

After speaking to the actual owner we were still given no satisfaction,. Apparently he has never had such diligent workers??!! Thankfully another hotel in Killarney which were full on the night managed to put us up at a discounted rate as they couldnt believe what happened to us!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank jenbon1985

Travellers are raving about these Killarney hotels

Guerard, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2011

We went to the Sugan Hostel recently. We were late; however we received a warm welcome from our host. He advises us some good place where we could drink a good Guiness.
We could use the common room: a really nice place, warm and pleasant (with free wifi !).

However, I have to notice some inconvenient. First, we went there when there was a music live in the pub next door. Our (double bed) room was located just above this pub so that we felt “on stage” with the musicians. Hopefully they stopped at 12:00pm.
The other annoying point was the room. Our bed was really old. There was a kind of hole in the bedbase and we do felt the springs of the mattress. Finally we put the mattress on the floor, which is annoying when we pay for a room. The bathroom was also Spartan.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple