“Good selection”

Ranked #50 of 141 Killarney B&B and Inns
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Good selection”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The Gardens B&B is more like a motel setting than your typical B& B in a home. The owners & hosts are both very pleasant folks who take pride in their family business. The rooms are very simple and clean. The breakfast was wonderful & the coffee was good. My Irish breakfast was filling & there was plenty of cereal, fruit & breads. The best part of this B&B is the "Location & plenty of parking"....located just a short to the town center of Killarney. We found this location to be good value for your Euro. Don't miss out on Killarney.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I had the pleasure of staying here recently. The place is run by a lovely couple, John and Sandra - both very personable and helpful.

The room was adequate, clean and reasonably priced. Breakfast was a selection of traditional Irish, etc. There was also tea/coffee and toast with this. Finally, a table with a selection of fruit, juices, croissants, etc. I found that after breakfast there was no hunger on me till at least mid afternoon. It really filled me up. Also big shout out to the lovely girls who work in the breakfast room - again lovely and helpful.

Location is right near the heart of Killarney town so walking into it takes literally minutes.

The only negative is that coming out of the lane way from the B&B on to the road is a bit treacherous. Traffic could easily miss you, and we had a close shave the first evening. Plus the lane way could be better lit at night. It does feel a little foreboding.

Finally,to end on a big positive in relation to their customer care. I'd dropped one of my phones there the first evening, but didn't know as had thought I'd left it at home (had it with me by accident). There was a note put up, but it didn't really register with me as being mine. However, I realised when I got home. I rang the next day and there was no issue - or cost - for them to send it in the post to me. I got it the next day in the post which was great and a relief.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Very quite and the breakfast is very good, John is always ready with advise on where to go and what to do. Tip: for dinner and a pint the Killarney Avenue hotel pub, the food is cheap and good. Make sure go into the pub not the dinning room. The locals welcome you.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Province of Alicante, Spain
Reviewed 21 April 2014

The owners are lovely, great location, clean and comfy room with impressive views, best Irish breakfast ever. Great if you are visiting Killarney National Park and doing the Ring of Kerry.
I would recommend and hope to be back soon.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Orange County, CA
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Our school group stayed here last week and the owners were very sweet and helpful even driving one of our party to the restaurant as she was on crutches. The large I expanse of gardens and grass was refreshing, and the breakfast was typical fare. I hate to give it a poor as the owners were sweet, the location to walk to tone was good, and the room was clean.....so here is where I took issue.

The issues at hand were several:
The rooms were quite tiny with some of single rooms being more like a closet. There were very small wardrobes. The beds were doubles with some of the heaviest blankets I have ever encountered, so heavy in fact that we could not sleep with them due to the sheer weight, but the rooms were cold, so we ended up being chilled in the night. The bathrooms were small but the shower was only luke warm and when my husband shaved at the sink, my shower got colder. My hubby ended up doing a toilet seat repair as the seat popped off the first time he used it, fortunately he is skilled in home repair! The doors were hard to open to the rooms. The furniture was outdated and not in the best of shape. The tv was super small but it was a small room. There were no phones in the rooms. There were no hair dryers. Internet was only in the common living room downstairs.

But the most disturbing issue was the locking of the exterior doors. My husband and I had stayed behind the rest of our group, which had gone into town to eat. When we were ready to leave we went down the stairs to the main entry door we had come in and it was locked from the outside! We went back upstairs and went to the other end of the hallway to the glass door and found that it too was locked and our room key did not open it. There was a key in a glass case that said break in case of fire. We were locked in the building! This was a safety concern that really made me uncomfortable, not to mention that now we were looking at having to climb through a downstairs window in the living room to get out to go eat our dinner. And there is no phone to call for assistance. At the moment we headed back down to the living room we saw the owner in the dining room next door and waved her over to assist us. She unlocked the door from the outside and told us she thought everyone had gone to town. I have to say that I was genuinely worried about what would happen if there was a fire.

I don't think I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Singles are very small and doubles had a double bed- not queen or king. Bottom floor has direct acce...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Co Cork
Reviewed 2 November 2013

The only recommendations I would give the Gardens B&B are; a) the genuine friendliness of the owner and b) the centrality of the B&B.

Otherwise, in late October, the B&B smelt damp and the single room, which I booked was the smallest I had ever encountered. How such a small (undusted) wardrobe could fit into such a small room was simply amazing. Next to the wardrobe was this amazing minature dressing table on which lay the cup and minature kettle. The cup smelt as if it had been washed in some greasy concoction and the kettle had obviously been used many times. The real challenge was the ensuite- which came without a radiator- and was freezing and damp in late October!
Would I stay again- Not if I could help it.

Room Tip: Last room at end of corridor the best.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Eindhoven
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Although it does not really feel as a B&B (more like a motel), the service is really excellent. As we were heading to Dublin very early on our departure (stayed 2 nights), they made our breakfast and delivered it on the night before. Sandwiches were made, and fruit/yoghurt and orange juice was left in the room. Moreover, the location is excellent; in the heart of the town very close to all pubs and restaurant. The room was decent with a good bed, a small bathroom and equipped with a good wifi connection.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends