“Fantastic Way to enjoy the wondeful lakes”

Outdoors Ireland - Day Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We are a leading outdoor training, adventure and bushcraft company, with a small team of highly qualified and vastly experienced instructors; dedicated to providing the best service possible. We were the first adventure company in Ireland to achieve a gold environmental award and have a fantastic Trip Advisor rating! We are celebrating our eleventh year of operation this year, 2016. Join us for an intensive training course, an extreme adventure experience, or a magical relaxing kayak tour through the Lakes of Killarney...
Useful Information: Activities for older children
County Cork, Ireland
“Fantastic Way to enjoy the wondeful lakes”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Mark our guide was absolutely superb. The weather on our day out was typical Irish - 4 seasons in one day yet we were all at our ease in terms of safety because of Marks care and clear instructions. I couldn't believe that the lake could get so choppy! There was one lady in our group who couldn't swim yet at no stage did she fear the trip. We all had mixed ability but stayed together very well.

The views from the lake are even more stunning than the shore and yet you might think that impossible because Killarney is such a beautiful spot at any time of year or weather conditions.

The cost(€50 PP) seems a little prohibitive at the outset, but when you see the standard of equipment and instructions required you easily undertsand that and there is no price applicable to the experience.

I would say get very comfortable in the kayak before pushing off as in adjusting seat and leg positions. The journey is not very demanding but is for 3 hours so comfort is king along with the instructions on how to paddle properly. This was my first time in a kayak that offered adjustments like that so I didn't get to grips with the options as well as I should have.However I still had no major aches and pains when finished.

A hidden benefit of the journey is the history. Mark took regular "RAFT" breaks and explained the history of Ross Castle, the Islands and general information that added an extra bit to the tour.

Lastly we were very lucky on the day to gain a little extra time and tide conditions to travel through some of the caves in the smaller Islands. This was fantastic and added to the history factor when you consider How our forefathers had to contend with these "hideouts" during times of conflict.

Thoroughly recommend it for value, fun and scenic attributes. Little demanding phsyically but so much worth it. Killarney is so much more when you experience it from the lake under your own paddle power.

Visited July 2014
OutdoorsIreland, Manager at Outdoors Ireland - Day Tours, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thanks so much for your review. I'm delighted you enjoyed your trip with Mark so much. You were lucky to get into so many of the caves because of the lower water levels!

Meath
“Kayaking on Killarney Lakes.”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

A great afternoon kayaking the lakes. MJ was full of info about the history and stories of the area. Getting very close to sika deer on Inishfallen was a stand out moment. Loved navigating through the narrow caves. Already planning my next trip in August.

Visited June 2014
OutdoorsIreland, Manager at Outdoors Ireland - Day Tours, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Thank you Nicky. Maybe try our canyoning or dawn kayaking if you're back in August...
Killarney, Ireland
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Wonderful Memories, thanks to OutdoorsIreland”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

The Sunset Kayaking was done by me with a friend for my #100happydays journey on facebook (day#38) and such a Wonderful Experience.

I spent so much time looking onto and over our Lakes in Killarney, but to explore them in this manner was so much the better.

Kayaking on & around the Lakes of Killarney and through the many caves with Shonagh & Mark was something wonderful! The Laughs; the Company; the Great Outdoors was simply Lovely.

Many Thanks to Mark from Outdoors Ireland for such a Wonderful Evening of Enjoyment and for taking our selfie also.

Thanks Nathan for Outdoors Ireland working and operating so many activities in Killarney!

1 Thank MaireOD
Thanks so much Maire. Enjoy your trip this week as well.
Cork, Ireland
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Kayak skills level 2”
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Excellent from start to finish. Professional instruction from MJ and learned some great history of the lake and it's islands. he catered for all abilities and I left the course with more knowledge and experience that I could have hoped for. Highly recommended.

Thanks Brian and thanks a million for amount of trips/courses you have done with us at this stage!
Garden City, New York
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Memorable Kayaking Adventure”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We were extremely happy with the "Outdoor Ireland" kayaking adventure while visiting Killarney National Park. Nathan, the owner, was amazing at both the business end and the adventure part of the experience. In one phone call he explained the trip, troubleshooted the logistics, and booked us for an trip that would take place in just a few hours.

Once on the adventure near Ross Castle on Loch Leane, he was very professional. His first concern was always about our comfortability, well-being and safely. I could probably say he was a bit too protective, but mostly because we had kayaked multiple times in various parts of the world and felt a bit experienced.

He took us to a little island where we explored an old church and ventured into the forest where we saw some deer.

He then took us to some rock formations out in the middle of Loch Leane where we explored caves and crevices. We were able to kayak into and through some caves, which was really very unique and exciting. Nathan also had a solid grasp on the history of the area and was able to relate stories about the castle and surrounding waters.

The only comment I have was about the photography. As an avid hobby photographer, photographing this sojourn was key. Nathan was not keen on our bringing cameras. I understand that he did not want anything to happen to our equipment, but going on a trip like this without a camera was not even a consideration.Clearly, everyone has to be told it is their own responsibility should anything happen to their cameras. I really wanted to have more time to take photos and record this part of our Ireland vacation. I would recommend that he make a few stops to get photos of his customers in key locations, such as in front of the castle, in/outside the caves, on the island, etc. Fortunately, the other couple we were with took photos of us and we of them. He did offer to take a few shot of us on his camera, and I am hoping that he really does send them, as they are the only ones of my husband and I together on the water.
Thanks Ethan for a wonderful day.

Visited June 2014
OutdoorsIreland, Manager at Outdoors Ireland - Day Tours, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thanks a million for your review. We should be emailing you today with a link for your photos. Thanks again, Nathan