“Still the Jewel in the crown”
Review of Lake Hotel

Lake Hotel
Ranked #9 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Im only writing another review of our favourite hotel due to some changes made since my last visit.Firstly at breakfast there are now 3 cheese mini quiches in the hot buffet which are to die for and i highly recommend.Also there is a new dining offer in the bar at evening times where you can have a starter,main and wine or beer for under 20 euro and the food is every bit as good as in the Castle lough restaurant.Breda once again ensured i had a fantastic room and the treatments my wife organised for us in the spa were superb.Emanuelle still casts his eagle eye over the restraunt floor and gets us the best table ensuring every dining experience we have is superb.
As it is the rutting season dont be alarmed to hear the deer during the night and make sure to have your camera at the ready.Always a home away from home - enjoy your stay at the lake.At your service D & T.

Room Tip: Dont bother staying unless you have a lake view.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TravelMonkiesDT

Reviewed 16 October 2011

I fell in love with this hotel from the tripadvisor reviews/photos. I was NOT disappointed! Our stay was AMAZING...the view from our room with a balcony was something I don't even have the vocabulary to express. We hadn't done the Ring of Kerry yet and came here after 2 nights in Galway...the contrast between the two areas was breath taking. (Not to discount Galway and Western Ireland AT ALL!) The hotel had an excellent location for visiting Killarney (which Galway & Killarney were my favorite cities in Ireland). Do grab a pint at O'Connors and take a $1 to post on the wall (mine is above the side door!) If you want Ireland visit Killarney...if you want typical city anywhere in Europe go to Dublin and pretend you have visited Ireland.

We visited in March 2011, which was the off season, so we had a good portion of the hotel to ourselves. With it being an older hotel it does creek a bit and I would think when totally full it might not be as quiet as a newer block building, but it is part of what adds character. Staff was wonderful...we came back late and the night bellman made us sandwiches and salads, along with giving us wonderful tips on seeing the red deer (try to catch these amazing animals...we mistook them for horses at first). The hot tub provides a great vantage to the ruins and the mountains, so bring your suit!

Room Tip: They upgraded us without charge when I asked for a room with a good view!
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 October 2011

This was our third time staying here, and we enjoyed our stay immensely. We found that middle management staff were very quick to rectify any quibbles. We had a four poster room which we thoroughly enjoyed, with great views and luxurious touches which made us feel special. We ate in the restaurant one night and the bar another; huge portions of delicious food.
Breakfast was great, and room service was quick.
If I had any quibble it would be that no aknowledgement was made of our 25th wedding anniversary which we mentioned both on our booking and arrival ( other anniversaries merited a room upgrade).

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2011

I stayed here last year for two nights with my boyfriend.
It's a nice old hotel, set in the gorgeous surroundings of the lake. The room itself was fairly average, even with the four poster bed, it just seemed a little dated. There was a jacuzzi bath which sounded great but was actually more painful that enjoyable! The view over the lake was lovely and the walks down by the lake were so peaceful and relaxing. We had dinner in the restaurant and it was very good standard, however breakfast the next day wasn't so great - the standard fry using the cheapest meat available and rubbery eggs, all on buffet so they weren't even hot. I've visited and worked in 3 star hotels where they are made to order, granted this is a much larger hotel but surely to warrant a 4 star they could have done something a bit better.
The bar and service staff were all really friendly and polite and for me that was one of the best things about the hotel.
The lesiure facilities weren't great however. We tried to use the hottub but it didn't seem to be working and was quite cold. As it was October, and outside, this wasn't much fun. The steam room also seemed to be malfunctioning and we couldn't find anyone to ask about it or the hot tub so we left a bit disappointed.
Overall it is a nice family run hotel, with an amazing location, lovely views, and very close to the lively Killarney town.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank deeedeee17
Reviewed 22 September 2011

After reading all the good reviews I was really looking forward to staying in this hotel. I have always gone by tripadvisor reviews for booking hotels and have always found them really accurate. Not in this case.
As a treat we decided to splash out on a master deluxe lake view room and was very excited about it. On arrival however it was immediately clear that this hotel is not 4 star. The check in area is so shabby and the lift to the rooms was dirty and had a weird smell. Still, I had hope that our room would be lovely! Not the case. There were loads of glasses and trays left outside rooms on corridoors from breakfast (this was about 5pm when we arrived).
We opened the door to our room and there was an overwhelming musty smell. It was unbearable. There were flies all over the window sill (inside the room) and the balcony was filthy with the table and chairs so rusty you couldn't sit on them. I rang down immediately and told them and said I wanted a new room. There was no apology!! We got to move to a room a few doors down. When inside, there were chocolate covered strawberries left on the table, however they looked like they had been there a while. I rang down to ask them if these had been left for us, and to thank them if so. The receptionist had no idea what I was talking about and said they must have been left for another person who was meant to check into the room. I was taken aback by this and said nothing - the receptionist said "well if you want them I suppose you can have them" and I said "well how long have they been there for? I don't want to eat them if I don't know where they came from" (for all I knew they might not have been taken away after the last guests). In response to this she said "well do they look okay?". I know this is just about strawberries but it was the whole attitude that I had a problem with and found unacceptable.
Anyway besides that, the furniture on the balcony was again very rusty in this room, the shower didn't work (a trickle of water that went hot and cold), the bathroom products were so cheap you couldn't use them - worse than using fairy liquid, the bed spread was so old and nobbly, the cushion off the bed looked filthy - we put it in the wardrobe for the rest of the stay. We got breakfast delivered to the room on the last morning and had ordered toast etc, got no toast, half the breakfast was missing. It was just ridiculous! I could have complained about various things after the initial room change but had never been given any sort of apology at all about the first room and I really didn't see the point in complaining - there would have been no satisfaction and instead we just decided to make the most of it. The bar was nice enough, although still shabby (ripped seats etc.)
Just for the record - I sometimes read the bad reviews on tripadvisor and laugh at how petty some of the complaints people have. I am not overly fussy so believe me on this one!
I won't be going back to this hotel. It is a shambles. It was probably lovely once but not anymore. On location alone and on the lake view I would give this hotel a 5 star but without that view there is absolutely nothing good about the hotel!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
17  Thank DublinClogs
Reviewed 21 September 2011

The hotel itself is an older hotel, and while I'm sure there are fancier hotels in Killarney, this was a very nice experience. The staff was absolutely wonderful and very helpful. The rooms were clean and spacious and very quiet. The bar was nice and the grounds were lovely. The restaurant was a slight disappointment for dinner, but the in-room breakfast was delicious. It would be great, however, if internet was available in the rooms, instead of just in the public areas. All in all, though, this was a great experience and I would recommend the Lake Hotel to any comers!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Just back from a night at The Lake Hotel in Killarney - what a perfect location ! Had a lovely room with balcony overlooking the Lakes, beautiful to wake up to view in the morning. The Out-door Hot Tub has the best location ever, great to relax there and take in the views again. Dinner in the Restaurant was lovely (& staff very friendly and efficient) - plenty choice on menu and desserts were delicious. Singer in Bar on Saturday night was very good, great entertainment. Overall it was a very relaxing stay - already looking forward to a return visit, I would imagine it would be a lovely place to visit on winter weekend.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple