“A Little Bit of Heaven”
Review of Lake Hotel

Lake Hotel
Ranked #8 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Breathtaking scenery lakes with swans, ducks and two herons. Magnificient mountains backdrop of mountain Islands, woodlands and 12th century McCarthy Mor castle ruins. The Lake Hotel is a 4 star family run business celebrating 100 years of welcoming guests since 1820. Lovely walks, relax in the library free use of computers. Nearly forgot to mention in 186l Queen Victoria of England stayed during her visit to Ireland. Lots of history to read up and very interesting photographs on display. Views from the rooms . Restaurant serve the most delicious food.

Room Tip: You have an excellent choice of accommodation. Back of the hotel looking out onto Lough Lein, Killar...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,388)

Reviewed 11 April 2012

Reception staff excellent as I was a last minute booker. Room had wonderful lake view with every amenity including four poster bed. We both had dinner which was excellent at a reasonable price for the quality of the food served.
Could have stayed a few days in such a tranquil hotel. Could not fault anything even though hotel was busy staff took time to talk to you and return again to make sure food was ok.
Really enjoyed my stay and looking forward to returning.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This hotel was one of the most beautiful hotels that I've been to.The views are seriously incredible.The service is excellent,the food wasn't amazing but the views, service and the beautiful interior more than make up for it.And the prices are very reasonable as well,given everything that you get for it,would definitely recommend it here!!Ask for a lake view room,they are out of this world :)

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 April 2012

We stopped here for dinks only. And to enjoy the view. It is so peaceful and relaxing here. The food being served looked to be great and very generous portions. The prices were a little steep. Killarney is a very beautiful county.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 April 2012

This review is VERY late but better late than never. My wife and I and our two sins aged almost 11 and just turned 8 stayed in the hotel during the Irish Open in July 2011.

Our trip to Killarney started as a nightmare. We had originally been recommended to stay at the utterly RUBBISH Quality Hotel. Don't stay there ever. I stayed one night and checked out at 0600. I phoned the Lake Hotel and they saved our skin!

We stayed for longer than we planned the hotel was so good. From the outset we were met with real warmth and our sons, who have stayed in some of the finest hotels in the world instantly fell in love with the hotel.

Our deluxe lake view room on the ground floor was tastefully decorated. It was clean and had a fridge which is useful for medication (I am a diabetic). We had a queen bed and two single beds, proper beds not waiter thin rubbish that some hotels wheel out for children.

The fact that we were on the ground floor meant that our room opened out into the grounds and towards the lake. We have so many wonderful photos of our two boys over near the deer which visited every day and at the castle in the grounds. The mist over the lake was just incredibly atmospheric. The kids and my wife seemed to be the most relaxed I have seen them in ages. We all destressed! I had a month long migraine which disappeared within 24 hours of arriving at the hotel.

I have to mention the restaurant. The initial suggestion that the kids could only eat in the restaurant before 7:30pm was a shock. However, with gentle persuasion we insisted on the boys eating with us and to be honest it was pushing at an open door. The staff wanted to oblige. From then on, we ate every single night in the restaurant. The staff remembered the names of the children and didn't require the kids to eat off a kids menu (despite our meal inclusive rate stating they should).

The Italian maitre d' treated the kids with real respect. When our oldest son returned his beef fillet because it was well done when he had asked for it to be cooked medium rare, the maitre d' insisted the chef keep the kitchen open and sorted things out. He was also genuinely apologetic to our son.

This was real service in a hotel which puts service before gimmicks.

I was motivated to write this review after reading some really crazy negative reviews which did not reflect the experience of my wife and I, but importantly, not the experience of my kids who already want to go back!

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Just =back from a night in the Lake Hotel. What a treat! It is like going back in time to a long lost era, but with the utmost comfort. When I opened the door to enter my Lakeview room the panoramic view of the McCarthy Mor 12 century Castle ruins, Lough Lein (the lower lake), the McGillycuddy Reeks and Carrantouhill ( the highest mountain in Ireland), bathed in the late evening Spring sunshine, took my breath away. The room itself was large with a queen sized and a single bed, a seating area with two armchairs, a couch a coffee table, tea/coffee tray and a 32" flatscreen TV. The wardrobe had an ironing board and a safe in it. The bathroom had a jacuzzi bath and a separate glass enclosed shower. Everything was spotless. I went down to dinner in the dining room with that wonderful view through all the ceiling almost to floor windows. The food was delicious and the staff were solicitous, welcoming and friendly. To wake with the sun rising on the mountains, a deer stepping silently through the shallow water and a grey heron standing sentinel willing fish to come towards him - bliss! After a beautiful buffet breakfast (with eggs poached for me), I left to go to a meeting. But we couldn't take leave of Killarney before we had afternoon tea (again friendly, engaged service) outside looking at the lake in blazing sunshine. A spot of heaven. The only thing that would have completed my happiness would be free wifi throughout the hotel and not just in some designated places.

Room Tip: Lakeview is the one
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Stayed for three nights.
Great location overlooking the lake.
Hotel dates back to 1850 and is full of character and charm.
Staff were very friendly and food was excellent.
If you are looking for a hotel with stunning views and quite location then the Lake Hotel is just perfect.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple