“Hotel with Character BUT”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Lake Hotel

Lake Hotel
Ranked #7 of 39 Hotels in Killarney
Cork, Ireland
“Hotel with Character BUT”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012

This hotel is full of character and has a wonderful homely cosy atmosphere. It has a wonderful relaxing Library with free internet for guests. A lovely piano room with fire on all day. Food very good. Waiting staff excellent. The standard bedrooms are very basic though and need a great uplift. They still use the old style blankets which are very hard to get used to again ! Soundproofing is nil, we could hear snoring from adjoining bedroom. Overall though, a lovely stay. My main gripe is with the Reception Staff. Most of them are cold and not very welcoming. On check out, we were not asked if we had a nice stay, or thanked for our business. They are so used to having bus loads of tourists staying with them, they are taking the local visitors for granted. Be very careful if you need to use the wheelchair/babychanging facilities. The tap spills over onto the floor and it becomes extremely slippy. My grandchild slipped twice, the second time she banged her face on the toilet bowl. It is a health and safety issue. Apart from those few issues, Our stay was pleasant and I loved the hotel

Room Tip: Upper floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marg4750
Kerryman_7, General Manager at Lake Hotel, responded to this review, 10 October 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review about our hotel. I’m glad that you were pleased with the relaxation lounges provided and the free internet access for all guests. Sitting beside the fire in the lounge is always enjoyable. Currently we are lucky enough to have the deer rutting season and our guests have been treated to some great views of the wild stags and deer right from the comfort of the lounge window. Only yesterday we had the wild eagles down at the Mc Carthy Mór Castle along with the deer outside it made a wonderful sight. Thank you also for your comments regarding our restaurant team which I will pass on to them. I’m disappointed to hear that you did not feel that our reception staff were friendly this is a most unusual comment as we normally get great praise for this department in particular as they are in close contact with our guests throughout their stay. I will be discussing this with our team in front office and investigating this further. I will also speak to our maintenance manager regarding the tap in the baby changing facilities that you mention I was not aware of this and thank you for pointing it out. I would like to assure you that it will be addressed immediately. I hope your grandchild is feeling better after this incident. Once again thank you for your review and your feedback and I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back to the hotel again soon.

Niall Huggard – General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (724)
King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2012

Our stay at the Lake Hotel was a welcome relief from the grind of trying to do too much. In fact we changed our original plans and stayed an extra day in Killarney, for a total of 3 nights. Our room was spacious, very clean & comfortable, gorgeous views and truly a welcome oasis in a grueling trip. We found Niall Hubbard, the General Manager, to be incredibly helpful and informative in planning our visit to both the Dingle Peninsula and the Ring of Kerry. Staff at the front desk went out of their way to assist us with our schedule changes, no thanks to Expedia.
I highly recommend staying at the Lake Hotel as a special treat when touring Ireland.

Room Tip: Choose a suite room in the newer section, 2nd floor.
Dear Guest,
Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely review about our hotel. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and decided to stay on the 3rd night in Killarney. We are lucky in Killarney as it is an ideal base from which to explore many of the wonderful tours of the Kingdom. The Ring of Kerry, The Gap of Dunloe, The Dingle and Beara Peninsulas to name but a few. Our team in front office are only too happy to help in organising any tours you may like to do and you can be picked up right at the door of the hotel should you desire. You can even take a boat from our very own Mc Carthy Mór Castle to see the beauty of the lakes and the surrounding mountains if you want something a bit more unusual. I will pass your kind comments regarding the front office staff on to them as its always nice for them to hear that our guests appreciate the service that is provided to them. Once again thank you for this lovely review and I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Western Ireland, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one night. This is an amazing place. There is not one thing the can be faulted. We stayed in the four poster bed room with a view. The winner for me was the food. Service was of an exceptionally high quality in the restaurant and was only topped by the quality of the food. If you are staying here you do not need to venture into Killarney as the bar is very lively with music to boot. Also the bar food seemed good with all tables full. There is not one thing I could fault about this place and the staff are a credit to the management. Well done and we will be back.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Guest,
Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary review about our hotel. It is always a pleasure to hear that our guests left feeling happy with the products and services that our team here at the hotel provided for them. This year our family are celebrating 100 years in the hospitality business in Ireland and we are very proud to continue the tradition of true Irish hospitality ensuring our guests feel welcome and well looked after during their stay. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the standard of the food at the hotel I will pass these on to Paul and his kitchen team. Thank you also for your comments regarding our staff at the hotel we are very lucky to have employees who will do everything they can to ensure our guests enjoy their stay with us. I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the lake again soon.

Kind Regards,
Niall Huggard General Manager.
Marblehead, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2012

We stayed here for two nights on our honeymoon. We arrived a day early and not only could they accommodate but they upgraded us to an AMAZING room overlooking the lake. There are a lot of stairs as people have pointed out in other reviews but other than that, I can only say positive things! Our room was LOVELY, jacuzzi tub, fireplace, four poster bed! The front desk was beyond helpful with everything we needed (making future reservations for us, planning a bike trip up the Gap of Dunloe and back down by boat) food at the restaurant was great, location was perfect for biking around as there is a bike rental place across the street. Killarney national park has SO much to offer. We could have stayed for an entire week and would have had plenty to do! Highly recommend The Lake Hotel!!!!

Room Tip: Lake view...you can see the castle, mountains, and the Red deer from your window...you can upgrade f...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Kerryman_7, General Manager at Lake Hotel, responded to this review, 9 October 2012
Dear Guest,

Congratulations on your recent wedding and I hope that you had a safe trip home. Thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely review about The Lake Hotel. Killarney is the perfect location for a romantic honeymoon enjoying all the activities by day and the cosy romantic fireside setting by night or of course our romantic boat trips which you can take from our very own Mc Carthy Mór Castle on the grounds of the hotel. Thank you for your comments regarding our team at front desk they are only too happy to help and be some way a small part of the memories our guests bring with them of their stay in the hotel. I’m glad that you enjoyed dining in our Castlelough Restaurant. Paul and his kitchen team are always creating new dishes for our guests to enjoy so it’s good to see that this has not gone unnoticed. I see that you mention the deer in your review also the rutting season is on at present so we are being treated to lots of antics from the deer you could check out our facebook page for some photos we have posted recently which may be of interest. Thank you once again for posting such a nice review and I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Skibbereen, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2012

the hotel is in a great position with lovely views over the lake. My room overlooked the car park and I was charged 40 euro extra for a single. so make sure you ask for a lake view room. It is on the outskirts of Killarney so its a long walk to the town. the breakfast buffet was very good but the dining room meals in the evening were disappointing with very little choice from the set menu. the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: ask for a Lake view otherwise youwill overlook the car parks.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank mariondp
Dear Guest,

Just a quick note to thank you for your recent review that you posted on Trip Advisor. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our friendly and helpful staff here at the hotel. All of our team work hard to ensure that our guests have an enjoyable stay at the hotel and make some memories to treasure on their trip to Killarney. I am disappointed to hear that you didn’t enjoy your evening meal and that you felt that there was not enough choice in our set menu. We also have a bistro menu available every evening for our guests with nightly specials which vary each evening to ensure our guests have enough items from which to choose. Of course if there is something in particular which our guests would like to see on our menus we will always do our very best to accommodate any requests. Thank you for your feedback and please be assured we will use it to continue to improve the products and services we offer at the Lake Hotel Killarney.

Niall Huggard,
Witbank
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

Date of stay: 11 & 12 Sept. Wish we could have stayed longer! The service was excellent, from arrival to depature and in all respects. Meals in the pub area were great as were the breakfasts. Very professional, friendly and efficient. A great location, right on the Lough with beautiful gardens and lovely walks in the immediate vicinity. This hotel is familiy owned and run and it shows! The attention to detail is amazing. We did not have a room with a lake view but this did not bother us at all. The room was clean, comfortable and quiet, despite the hotel being extremely busy.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Kerryman_7, General Manager at Lake Hotel, responded to this review, 28 September 2012
Dear Guest,
Just a quick note to thank you for posting such a lovely review about our hotel. It is a pleasure to hear that our guests were happy with their stay with us and would consider coming back to us again in the future. Thank you for your comments regarding our team of whom we are very proud. We are extremely lucky to have employees who do everything they can to make sure our guest enjoy themselves during their stay with us. This year our family are celebrating 100 years in the hospitality industry in Ireland and we feel that our family run ethos is very important in making us stand out from the norm and in making our guests feel a home away from home feeling during their time here. We are proud to carry on the tradition of the Irish welcome and excellent service that was has been carried down in our family through the generations. I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon again we have some fantastic offers over the next few weeks and into next year which you can avail of by contacting info@lakehotel.com or by giving us a call on (064)6631035 where you will always get our best rates and offers going. Thank you once again.

Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

Myself and my wife recently celebrated an anniversary in the Lake Hotel, and I must admit our reaction is mixed. Firstly, the positives, the setting of the hotel is fantastic. The views are absolutely spectacular, and as we had a top floor room it was a real treat each morning to see the scenary and the wildlife. The room itself was fairly nice, however it is definitely beginning to look tired (stains on the carpet, paint flaking from all the light fittings in the bathroom etc.). The staff we met were courteous and attentive. There was a mix up with a booking of a spa treatment (despite the hotel confirming it 3 times with me beforehand), yet they apologised and gave us a bottle of wine (which was thoughtful). The food was also nice (however the breakfast staff were slow to refill food and drink at the breakfast buffet).
The negatives have however tainted our stay. The main problem is in relation to their policy of Pre-Authorising your credit card. It is now nearly a week later, and both the cost of the room (which was fairly expensive for the standard of the hotel) and an additional €500 pre-authorisation has been removed from the account. We have made numerous phone calls to both the bank and the hotel, and both are blaming eachother for this missing money. However, as it was the hotel who took the pre-authorisation from me, I am blaming the hotel. This is unacceptable, and unnecessary (a copy of the credit card with no money removed from the account is usually sufficient for all other hotels I have ever staryed in, I don't know why the Lake Hotel should be different).
All in all I would not recommend a stay in the hotel (and without wishing to sound ageist, I would definitely not recommend it for a younger couple). The views are spectacular (but they were made by God!), I found the hotel to be overpriced for what you get, and rooms, corridors etc.. are beginning to look tired and shabby, this coupled with the pre-authorisation policy has soured our stay.

5 Thank dr_duddle
Dear Guest,
Firstly congratulations on your wedding anniversary and thank you for your positive comments about the Lake Hotel. Yes we are very lucky with our location we feel that you could not ask for a nicer view to wake up to while on your holidays in Killarney. Thank you also for your kind comments regarding our team at the hotel. We are very proud of our employees here at the hotel as they are all dedicated to ensuring our guests leave feeling happy and relaxed after their stay with us. In regards the concerns that you raised in your review I believe that our front office manager Breda Healy was in contact with you regarding your pre authorisation using your Visa debit card which is a relatively new card and hasn’t brought up any issues for us until now. Breda has since changed the pre authorisation policy for those customers who use a Visa Debit card and re-trained all front office staff on this new procedure to ensure that the issues you encountered will not happen to any other guest in the future. I can only apologise for this inconvenience and assure you that this matter has been addressed. Thank you for your feedback and please be assured we use all guest comments be they good or bad to improve on the products and services we offer at The Lake Hotel.