“We wouldn't stay anywhere else!”
Review of Lake Hotel

Lake Hotel
Ranked #7 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Cork
“We wouldn't stay anywhere else!”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

My wife and I love this hotel and now stay only there when in Killarney. The lake view rooms are fabulous and the food is great. Staff are all very friendly though they are not all locals. Walks in the nearby National Parks add to the enjoyment.

Room Tip: Lake View Rooms provide spectacular views.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Friendly_Irish_Hotel, General Manager at Lake Hotel, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review about your recent stay with us and for marking us so highly on your report. What a lovely comment to make that you would not stay anywhere else thank you most sincerely for this. We appreciate your kind comments regarding the quality of the accommodation and on the food in our Castlelough Restaurant. Paul and his team in the kitchen have put together some really fantastic menus for our guests to enjoy this year and they are proving to be a big hit with our guests. Thank you also for your comments regarding our friendly team here at the hotel of whom we are very proud as they always go the extra mile to make sure our guests stay is a success. We are very lucky to be situated right in the National Park so it is indeed a great location for some fantastic walks. I hope that you availed of our Free Lake Hotel Map which outlines many of the walks and hikes that can be taken starting right here at the hotel. I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon again and thank you once again for this lovely report.
Niall Huggard – General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (731)
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We had a five night stay at the Lake Hotel last week and it did not quite live up to our expectations. We chose to stay here as the town centre hotel we usually stay at was fully booked. As the reviews for The Lake were so glowing we thought we should give it a try. Certainly the hotel did not disappoint in terms of it's glorious setting, which was nothing short of spectacular. On arrival we were greeted warmly by the efficient reception staff, so no complaints there. Unfortunately, we could not run to the expense of a lake view room and the room we were allocated (room 113) was on the ground floor with a view of the tennis courts and surrounding woodland. It was large and well appointed but we were disappointed not to have any air conditioning as the room could get quite stuffy.The main issue we had with our room was the level of noise coming from the room above and the clanging of beer barrels being changed in the cellar room next door. This did rather spoil our enjoyment of the room, and did not make us feel as though we were in a luxury hotel. There was also quite a lot of door banging and as we were close to the bar, some bar noise and people shouting to one another and having noisy conversations outside our door. As the Lake Hotel is not cheap (even for a less expensive woodland view room @ 140 euros a night) it did not feel good value for money. Our stay included two evening meals in the restaurant, which we looked forward to with anticipation. The first meal we took was very good, service was okay and it was an enjoyable experience. On the second visit, the restaurant was much busier and the waiter service went to pot. It is a shame they use a computerised waiting system as this means you get served by a variety of waiters, and don't get to build up a relationship with any of them. This makes the eating experience rather impersonal, and feels like you are part of a production line. The computer system also lost our wine order, so it arrived late into the meal. If you had a designated waiter for your table, I am sure this could be avoided. The breakfast service was very good however, and the food was of a good quality. As the hotel was very busy, at peak times it could be difficult to find a seat in the bar or lounge area. It seems like the hotel has expanded it's number of bedrooms, but has not done the same for the communal guest areas. It felt like it needed another bar or restaurant to meet the demand. Our overall impression was that the hotel aspires to great things, but due to the limitations of the accommodation it does not quite pull it off. It would not have been so bad if we had stayed for a couple of nights only, but it's shortcomings became more annoying due to the length of our stay. We will be returning to the Killarney Plaza next time!

Room Tip: Avoid room 113!
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us and for choosing to stay at the Lake Hotel for your holiday in Killarney. Thank you for your lovely comments regarding our location being spectacular and about the friendly team in our reception here at the hotel, who always give a warm welcome to all of our guests and look after them throughout their stay. I’m pleased to read that you found the breakfast experience to be very good and the food of high quality we know that breakfast is an important meal for our guests and we want them to start their day off on a good note by providing a great breakfast for them. I’m glad also that you enjoyed your first dining experience in our AA Rosette winning Castlelough Restaurant. I’m sorry that you didn’t find the second one as enjoyable due to it being so busy. August is our very busiest time of year and the hotel is at its full capacity. We do our very best to ensure that everyone gets looked after to the highest standards and has a great dining experience without undue delay. I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the future and thank you once again for taking the time to let us know what you thought of your stay.
ireland
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Myself and my wife stayed in this hotel last week, Wednesday and Thursday nights, while on our honeymoon. For the most part we were happy with our two nights but there was one extreme disappointment. When I booked the room I told the girl in reservations we would be on honeymoon and asked could she do something extra for my new wife. She said she could put rose petals and chocolates in the room. This sounded great so I was looking forward to my wife's expression when we got there. However this turned out to be the low point of our entire honeymoon! The rose petals were fake and there was two single Butler's chocolates left on the table. I was absolutely gutted! If I had known the hotel would skimp so badly on my romantic gesture I would have offered to pay the €20 that would have covered buying some fresh petals and a little box of Butlers chocolates that cost about €5.50 in any shop. To put it in perspective, our stay cost us nearly €500 all together so surely it was not too much to ask for the hotel to push the boat out a little!
On the Tuesday night we had stayed in Bunratty Castle Hotel and on checking in we mentioned we were on honeymoon and the receptionist immediately upgraded us to an Executive Suite.On the Friday night we stayed in a B&B near Inch beach near Dingle and after ringing ahead and telling the owner of my disappointment with the Lake Hotel, she arranged to have my wife's favourite flowers in our room and a selection of chocolates that I didn't even ask for.
Since we came home from Kerry we have been raving about Bunratty and Inch to everyone but apart from the view from our bedroom we haven't had too much to say about The Lake Hotel.
My brother got married in Killarney five years ago and we loved our stay that time and so couldn't wait to return this time. However first impressions last and the gloss was taken off what should have been a totally memorable stay by the Lake Hotel. I emailed the hotel after we got home but they haven't bothered to reply which is a shame. In the e-mail I didn't even mention the fact that on the Wednesday night at dinner,despite informing the waiter I have a severe gluten allergy, I was served a dessert with a serious amount of gluten in it!!!!

2 Thank dc28
Friendly_Irish_Hotel, General Manager at Lake Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us and for choosing to stay at the Lake Hotel for your holiday in Killarney. Congratulations on your recent wedding it’s a great special occasion to celebrate and the Lake Hotel is a great place for a romantic holiday. I’m glad to read that you were happy with your overall two night stay with us. I was disappointed to read that you weren’t pleased with the special effort that we made with your room. We stopped putting fresh rose petals on the beds and replaced them with silk ones recently as we found that the real petals can wilt slightly and also stain the bed linen and we felt that the silk ones looked just as nice and people even like to take them away with them after their holiday as a small souvenir. In regards the chocolates, we provided you with complimentary chocolates in your room on arrival they are a small gesture of welcome from the hotel for guests celebrating a special occasion. There is the option of course to purchase many other extras such as champagne and strawberries, larger boxes of chocolates, flowers or any many other items on request which we are always more then happy to accommodate. We always do our very best to help our guests in celebrating their special occasions and I’m sorry that you felt let down slightly on this occasion. I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the future and thank you once again for taking the time to let us know what you thought of your stay.

Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 21 August 2013

The hotel itself is a great place, bed and pillows are very comfortable and the room was very clean. My wife and I were there for one night and thought it was very nice.

We wanted to go for food and said we'd stay at the hotel to eat, I would not do that again.

The set dinner was €35 per person and the food was well below average for a 4 star hotel. Our starters were tiny (which you'd get over, its only a starter), but the main course was not good at all. We both order steak and both our steaks were way over cooked (i ordered rare and got med-well, my wife order med-well and got very very well done. The desserts were not impressive at all. And we were waiting 20 minutes after dessert to be offered tea/coffee but we ended up just leaving without getting them.

The dinner area was not the cleanest, not dirty, but not very clean. There were water marks all over the windows and the brass was not polished etc

Over all, nice hotel, but stay away from the restaurant.

Room Tip: The room are much bigger in the picture than in real life - don't pay for the bigger room. the b...
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us and for choosing to stay at the Lake Hotel for your holiday in Killarney. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the quality of your bedroom and the cleanliness of the room I will pass these on to Anne and her team in accommodation who do a great job in ensuring that our rooms are in tip top condition for our guests to enjoy. I was disappointed to read that you were not happy with your dining experience in the restaurant. Paul our head chef and his team in the kitchen have put together some really great menus for our guests to enjoy this year and have also introduced a new vegetarian menu which has proven to be very popular with our guests. I’m sorry that your steaks were not cooked to your satisfaction, steaks are a difficult one to gauge and our chefs make every effort to cook them as per our guest’s requests. If a guest is not happy with how their steak is cooked we are always more then happy to replace that steak and re cook a new one for them as per their comments. I’m sorry that you didn’t find the desserts impressive our pastry chef normally receives excellent feedback on their work from our guests and I’m sorry that the desserts weren’t to your tastes. I apologise that you were waiting for your tea and coffee to be served I will discuss this with our restaurant manager to investigate further as this should not have happened and I can assure you is not the norm in the Lake Hotel. In regards the cleanliness of the restaurant, again I will speak to our restaurant manager it sounds as though the windows were cleaned incorrectly the evening you visited so I will ensure that the porters are re-trained on window cleaning to ensure no streaks are left behind after cleaning. I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the future and thank you once again for taking the time to let us know what you thought of your stay.
Kind Regards, Niall Huggard General Manager
limerick
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Stayed at this hotel for probably my 15th time and as usual it was outstanding.This is a real couples hotel with breath taking views, top class accomodation and well situated just outside the town of Killarney.I have recommened this hotel to numerous people and each person have came back planning there next visit.Kepp up the good work Joe Huggard and staff

Room Tip: Ask for Lakeview
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Friendly_Irish_Hotel, General Manager at Lake Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review about your recent stay with us and for marking us so highly on your report. Thank you also for choosing to return to visit us so many times, it is always a great pleasure to welcome guests back to us on repeat visits and we really appreciate your loyalty. We are very lucky to be an ideal romantic destination alright as the lake is a great place to spend some quality time together in beautiful and peaceful surrounds that just refresh the soul. Our team here in reservations and front desk can organise some great romantic packages for our guests including the romance on the lake package which includes a boat trip on the lake where you can enjoy champagne and strawberries and be collected right from the pier of the Mc Carthy Mór Castle here on the grounds of the hotel. We can organise jaunting car spins that can collect you right from the door of the hotel to show you around a variety of destinations within Killarney’s National Park or of course we also offer the couple’s double beauty treatments in our beauty rooms here at the hotel. I will pass your compliments on to my brother Joe as you mention him personally in your report. Thank you for recommending us so highly to potential guests we really appreciate this gesture. I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon again and thank you once again for this lovely report.
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We have stayed at the Lake on numerous occasions now, and we drive 300 miles from Belfast every Easter for the pleasure. Everything is so good - excellent food, great staff, unequalled beautiful location, and also well placed for touring Kerry and Cork where the scenery has just about everything, mountains, lakes, beaches etc. The hotel sits right on the lake, with a ruined castle, and breathtaking mountains surrounding it. It is a picture postcard.

Room Tip: For us a Lake View room is a must.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review about your recent stay with us and for marking us so highly on your report. Thank you also for choosing to return to visit us so many times, it is a huge honour for us that you choose to drive all the way from Belfast each year to come and stay with us. Thank you for your lovely comments regarding the hotel and our team here at the hotel of whom we are very proud. The Lake Hotel is indeed a great base from which to explore some of the many beautiful attractions of Killarney and the wider Kerry region. Our team here at front desk and reservations are a wealth of information on the area and are more than happy to help you organise your Kerry holiday for your convenience. Thank you for posting these beautiful photos on your review that view with the lake and the castle is beautiful and its lovely for potential guests to be able to see the view from the windows of the hotel. I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon again and thank you once again for this lovely report.
cheshire UK
Reviewed 20 August 2013

God must of have been smiling down on us when we visited the Lake Hotel, it was with out doubt the highlight of our weeks stay in Ireland. Unfortunately it was our first night and to be honest, even though we later stayed at Ashford Castle in Cong (which is unbelievable in its own right),nothing quite matched or lived up to the wonderful experience you gave us at the Lake Hotel. By coincidence it was our 25th Wedding Anniversary on the 6th and we could not of wished for more, the room, staff and food were simply first class. We were given an upgrade to the Roman Suit on arrival, and who ever made that decision simply made our special day perfect in every regard. We will definately be staying again and I can not recommend highly enough the Lake Hotel and hope, if you chose to stay, you get the same experience as we did.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Friendly_Irish_Hotel, General Manager at Lake Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review about your recent stay with us and for marking us so highly on your report. Congratulations on the event of your 25th wedding anniversary and I’m glad to read that it was made all the more special for you with the upgrade to the Roman Suite which is a great room for special occasions. What a lovely comment that god must have been smiling down on you during your visit to the Lake Hotel and that it was the highlight of your weeks stay in Ireland we really appreciate your kind words. Thank you also for your lovely comments regarding our team here at the hotel of whom we are very proud. We really appreciate you recommending us so highly to potential guests on Trip Advisor thank you most sincerely for this. I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon again and thank you once again for this lovely report.