“Return visit”
Review of Lake Hotel

Lake Hotel
Ranked #8 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We stayed at this hotel in August 2013 for 2 nights. I was returning after 25 years and wasn't disappointed. My husband loved the hotel and the surrounding area.
Our room was fabulous -overlooking the lake with views of the deer that live at the park.

The room had a little balcony, but we didn't use this as it was raining during our stay. There was a great sitting area to watch TV or just have a cup of tea. The mini bar was empty and we used this to store some fresh milk and fruit.
Reception was friendly and helpful. A pleasure to check in with someone bright and cheerful.
All front office staff knew the area well and were very helpful with booking tours or jaunting car information. Also directed us to the nearest supermarket.

Bathroom well set out with separate bath and shower. Very clean and well serviced.
Breakfast lovely with lots of choice. We ate in the bar one night and in the restaurant the other night. Both great meals. The bar was equally as good in terms of food quality and of course reasonably priced. The restaurant gave full service.

The drive down from the main road is breathtaking!
Grounds are beautiful and there are lots of walks around.

Would readily return.

Room Tip: room overlooking the lake.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Friendly_Irish_Hotel, General Manager at Lake Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review about your recent stay with us and for marking us so highly on your report. How lovely to welcome you back after 25 years that’s a fair spell. I’m glad to read that you were pleased with the room you were allocated during your visit and of course the view from your window. Thank you for posting your lovely photographs that you took during your visit. The lake is a great place to take some photos to remind you of your holiday in Killarney. Thank you also for your kind comments regarding our team here at front desk who are indeed a wealth of information on Killarney and the surrounding areas and are only too happy to advise our guests on the best places to visit during their time with us. We appreciate your comments regarding both the lakeside bistro and our main Castlelough Restaurant where we always aim to provide our guests with the very best, tasty, local produce on offer. I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon again and thank you so much once again for this lovely report we really appreciate you recommending us so highly to Trip Advisor readers.
Niall Huggard – General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,388)

Reviewed 5 September 2013

We stayed 2 nights at this magnificent hotel just a 5 min cab ride from the heart of Killarney city. This hotel, while quite old, is well maintained, clean and full of charm! Check in went smoothly and the clerk was friendly. We had a double room with no view of the lake, but the room was clean and comfortable. The decor was a bit gaudy for my tastes (lots of crushed velvet, mirrors EVERYWHERE) but it did not detract from the quality of the room. The bathroom was well stocked and the tea/coffee service was a very welcome treat after touring the Dingle Peninsula. Breakfast was served in a beautiful room overlooking the lake and the mountains...a perfect way to start the day in Killarney. I would recommend the Lake Hotel to anyone who wants to wake up to the magnificent views!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Friendly_Irish_Hotel, General Manager at Lake Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review about your recent stay with us and for marking us so highly on your report. It sounds like you had a great time touring the Dingle Peninsula and I’ glad to hear that you found the Lake Hotel was a comfortable place to check into after a long day of touring around. Our team here at front desk can arrange several wonderful day tours for our guests including the Dingle and Beara Peninsulas, The Gap of Dunloe and The Ring of Kerry to name but a few so be sure to ask for their advice when booking as they are a wealth of knowledge on the area and all it has to offer and they love to be able to assist our guests in making their holiday a success. We also have a customised hotel map which is free of charge for our guests which outlines some of Killarney’s hidden gems along with our more well known landmarks and attractions so be sure to avail of one when you visit. I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon again and thank you so much once again for this lovely report we really appreciate you recommending us so highly to Trip Advisor readers.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Stayed in the lake hotel for 2 nights B&B with Dinner 1 night,stayed in one of the Deluxe rooms with lake view in the new part of the hotel ,Navigating the hotel old to new was a bit strange up one lift down the corridor and into another lift to 4th floor, no direct lift from reception to our room, but don't let this deter you ,the rooms were outstanding the food was great and the staff were exceptional. Only down side really is the price, it is pricey but given what you get the extra cost of the upgrade is worth it for that special occasion.The view from the room is exceptional ,we bike it around the national park and this was also great ,safe and enjoyable.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review about your recent stay with us and for marking us so highly on your report. Thank you so much for the lovely comments you make in your report about the quality of the rooms, the food and of course our team here at the hotel of whom we are very proud. It sounds like you had a lovely holiday in Killarney. The bike is a great way to get out and about in Killarney taking in some of the wonderful attractions we have here in the Kingdom and of course enjoying the fresh Killarney air while you do so. Our team here at front desk can arrange bike hire for our guests if they don’t have their own bikes with them and for those days with softer weather we also have a drying room here where we can dry out your outdoor gear and have it ready for you for the next days adventure free of charge and for your convenience. Of course you can then relax in our beautiful outdoor hot tub after a long day on the bike and drink in the amazing view surrounding you. I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon again and thank you so much once again for this lovely report.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I recently booked two rooms for two nights in the Lake Hotel. Firstly to say it is a beautiful hotel in a beautiful location and I have stayed there previously on two occasions. On my last trip a year ago following a serious accident I requested rooms near reception and either on the ground floor or beside a lift. I was using a wheelchair at the time and could only walk a short distance. On booking I was assured that this was no problem however on arrival, we were informed that we had been upgraded (which I knew from a previous experience meant that we were in rooms at the far end of the hotel and upstairs) and that we would have to drive to the room. As this was not an option we had no choice but to leave. We went to the Europe Hotel where we were looked after.

This August I again requested two rooms beside each other again in the old part of the hotel and close to reception. I spoke to a lovely receptionist (name withheld) she assured me that there was no problem in facilitating my request. On arrival having received two calls from the hotel requesting my arrival time and asking would we be having dinner but never telling me there was a problem with my booking, surprise surprise we were told we were being upgraded to two rooms on two different floors 4 and 5 at the far end of the hotel. I stated my shock that this could happen again and that obviously (I am still using crutches) I would not be able to walk that far the receptionist said that was ok as I would have to drive! We were absolutely furious as not only did we have to move to the far end of the hotel but my husband had to sleep with one of my daughters and I had to sleep with the other as the rooms were not only not together but on two different floors. We were also told there were no other rooms as we were the last check in however about five minutes later a couple with three girls arrived. We asked the receptionist to phone the Brehon Hotel and book us in there instead. As she was doing this the manager arrived, we explained our predicament and he asked us to reconsider staying and they would move us in the morning. As it was now 8.30pm we agreed. We explained that exactly the same thing had happened us the year before, it is obviously a policy of the hotel to give out rooms as people arrive with no regard for special requests. I was very upset at this stage and they offered us a bottle of wine as compensation! Having ruined our two nights I think that this was fairly poor compensation. I am so disappointed that a hotel would treat its customers in such an offhand manner.

Room Tip: No point in requesting a specific room - you won't get it.
Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We stayed at the Lake Hotel for two nights and had a wonderful experience. From the attentiveness of Elaine on arrival to the superb food, fantastic location and the evening displays of wild deer grazing less than 100 yards from our bedroom window, it was a thoroughly enjoyable stay. The light on the lake and mountains was breath-taking. We could not fault the hotel or its staff in any way; we will certainly be back.

Room Tip: The rooms are all bright, spacious rooms. Go for the Lake View rooms for beautiful views of the Lake...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review about your recent stay with us and for marking us so highly on your report. It is always a pleasure to hear that our guests left after their stay with us feeling happy with the products and services they received during their visit to us. Thank you for your lovely comments regarding Elaine on front desk who does a great job in welcoming our guests to the hotel and looking after them throughout their stay along with the rest of the team on front desk. Thank you also for your very kind comments regarding the standard of the accommodation and of the food that you received during your stay it is lovely to hear that our guests approve of the service that we provide here at the hotel. The deer are indeed a great bonus here at the hotel and we are very lucky that they choose to roam our grounds on a daily basis. We have the deer rut coming up now in October so our guests will be treated to great displays over the next few weeks so it’s a magical time to visit the hotel. I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon again and thank you so much once again for this lovely report.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

I have stayed at the Lake Hotel on two occasions recently from the staff at the reception, dining room ,breakfast room the bar they were all very accomadating and friendly. The hotel is very comfortable the room was bright and airy the views were breath taking but to watch the deer at 6:15 am is not to be missed.

Room Tip: book a lake view room

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review about your recent stay with us and for marking us so highly on your report. It is always a pleasure to welcome our guests back for repeat visits and thank you for choosing to return to us we take this as a huge compliment. The deer grazing in the early morning sunlight by the edge of the lake is indeed a beautiful sight and they give our guests great enjoyment throughout the day and the seasons here at the hotel. In fact next month will be the start of the rutting season which is a very exciting time to visit us as stags begin their battles with haunting roars in the air and the stags in their aggressive mode there is often great excitement on the grounds of the lake to the delight of our guests. Thank you for your lovely comments regarding our team here at the hotel of whom we are very proud I will pass those on to them. I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon again and thank you so much once again for this lovely report.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

We stayed for three nights which was a lovely break. We booked a Superior room as there were three of us and were delighted to receive an upgrade be to a mini suite on arrival. This added luxury to our stay, and the jacuzzi bath was a welcome addition after a day walking in nearby Muckross House & to Torc Waterfall. The hotel is in a quiet and peaceful location and still close to the town if one want to go there. The bar food is excellent as was the breakfast. We ate in the Restaurant on the last night which I have to say was fab. We did have two small issues while there but both were sorted very quickly and staff were more than apologetic in both cases. Great to see such a high standard available in an Irish family run hotel. Would love to return in the future.

Room Tip: Room with lake view stunning
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review about your recent stay with us and for marking us so highly on your report. It is always a pleasure to read that our guests left us feeling happy and relaxed after their holiday at the lake. It sounds like you had a great trip and packed in some of the must see attractions such as Muckross House and Torc Waterfall during your visit to us. I hope you availed of our free Lake Hotel Map which we have designed especially for our guests which outlines some of Killarney’s hidden gems as well as all of the well known attractions and how to get to them starting right from the door of the hotel. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the food that you received from Breakfast, lunch to dinner throughout your stay I will pass these on to Paul our head chef and his team in the kitchen who do a great job in producing top class food for our guests enjoyment. I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon again and thank you so much once again for recommending us so highly on your report to Trip Advisor readers.