“Amazing stay for a friend's wedding.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Lake Hotel

Lake Hotel
Ranked #7 of 39 Hotels in Killarney
Galway
“Amazing stay for a friend's wedding.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

I have just arrived back from a wedding at the Lake Hotel and can honestly not fault my stay.

The food is possibly some of the best food I have ever tasted.
This wedding was a big wedding and I am sure the kitchen were under fierce pressure with such a big crowd but this did not show in anyway throughout the wedding meal. I had scallops, mushroom soup, steak (cooked to order) and a selection of desserts for my meal. The main course came with a large selection of vegetables and potatoes.
Rooms had lots of space with great heating & wifi.
The staff went above and beyond for all guests throughout the 4 days.
We ate at the hotel for the remainder of our stay. Bar food and restaurant food was just top class with great service.
You really felt comfortable and welcome at the Lake Hotel. We were so happy with our stay that we have booked another weekend there in July!
I would highly recommend anyone visiting Killarney to stay here, it was such an enjoyable 4 days.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lunch_foodie
Friendly_Irish_Hotel, General Manager at Lake Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Lake Hotel and for marking us so highly on your report. Thank you for posting the lovely pictures of some of the meals that you enjoyed during your visit I was getting hungry just looking at your photos! Colman and his team in the kitchen will be thrilled to hear that you felt it was some of the best food that you have ever experienced as they really do work hard to deliver the little extra touches to all of their dishes here at the hotel to make them exciting and delicious for our guests. The Lake Hotel was delighted to cater for this exclusive wedding event and felt it was a huge success for all involved. Our team here throughout the hotel really enjoyed hosting this event and the feedback that we received for this event from the guests was really outstanding. (The hotel accepts private wedding bookings on Monday to Thursdays in February, March and November, terms and conditions apply.) It is the ultimate compliment for us that guests book their next stay with us before even leaving the hotel we really appreciate this and would like to thank you most sincerely once again for such a lovely report and for recommending us so highly to Trip Advisor readers.

Niall Huggard – General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (724)
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

A beautiful old world hotel, olde riche, tranquility and peace of a bygone, elegant ere.

Breath taking scenery - The Lake side literally of The Lakes of Killarney

Very warm Irish Welcome from Irish and International staff alike.

The Huggard Family themselves take a personal interest in the business.

The Spirit of the Place is as fantastic as the obvious beauty of the Lakes.

A place that will live in your heart and memory forever.

The food is a real treat - the fish would rival any top fish restaurant any where in the world.

The old house is still intact - the extension is very tastefully done.

The residence is surrounded by the majestic Red Deer who are here since the Ice Age.

The Castle Ruins are a real fairy tale back drop.

Paintings and Photographs adorn the walls so no matter what the weather or the season you can see and appreciate all the possible settings any time of the year.

Queen Victoria stayed here and admired the scenery and hospitality. If it was fit for an Empress at the height of colonial times, it is at the absolute pinnacle.

An abundance of memorabilia abounds and old black & white family photos which adds to the old world, family atmosphere.

Paintings of the lakes and plush decor along with innumerous fires would warm the cockles of anyone's heart.

An ideal setting for any occassion or just a place to get away from the madness of society today and enjoy the best of a bygone era beside the fire, listening to the piano having afternoon tea.

Bliss

Room Tip: Pick the Old house - Lake side view - Jacuzzi Bath in the Room Hot Tub out doors made up for no poo...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank cliodhna s
Dear Guest,

Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Lake Hotel and for marking us so highly on your report. Wow what a lovely piece you wrote about your stay with us thank you so much. We are very lucky indeed to be blessed with such beautiful scenery and natural beauty all around us here at the lake. I’m pleased to read that you got to see our beautiful native red deer during your stay as they really do add a certain elegance to the scenery and beauty of the lake. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the interiors of the hotel with the old memorabilia that we have on display for our guests enjoyment and the many cosy lounges that we have throughout the hotel. I’m glad to hear that you were pleased also with the cuisine that you received during your stay I will pass these comments on to Colman our head chef and his team in the kitchen who do a great job in providing our guests with top class Irish delights to enjoy during their holiday with us. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon again and thank you most sincerely once again for such a lovely report.

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

We stayed at the Lake Hotel in September and June 2013,and as usual we had a wonderful time,
We booked one of the lake view rooms, and we were not disappointed. The views were superb,
and the room spotless. The food in the restaurant was excellent, as was the bistro. Breakfast was most enjoyable with the beautiful views of the lake and the mountains and we were pleasantly surprised by a visit from the deer on the lawn, it was magical. The staff were extremely courteous and very friendly, we were King & Queen of Munster for five whole days.
The Manager on reception supplied us with maps and valuable information every morning, to help us plan our daily walks & tours. On return in the evening it was straight into the bar for pre
dinner drink's where we were greeted with great banter and craic.
We also celebrated our fortieth wedding at this hotel in 2011,as we have been holidaying here for eleven years now, and we have just booked a return visit for the end of march 2014. Cant wait to see all the friendly faces again.

Room Tip: Most lake view rooms have a balcony with seating.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Lake Hotel and for marking us so highly on your report. It is always a pleasure to hear that our guests enjoyed their time with us and we take is as the greatest compliment that our guests would consider coming back to us again in the future. I loved your comment that you were king and queen of Munster for five whole days what a nice way to word it! Thank you also for your kind comments regarding the team here at the hotel of whom we are very proud I will pass those on to them. I’m pleased to read that you enjoyed the food at breakfast and in our Lake side bistro I will pass this on to Colman and his team in the kitchen who do a great job in providing our guests with top class cuisine during their stays. I’m glad to see that you availed of our free lake hotel maps which we designed for our guest’s convenience and enjoyment. Our team here at front desk are a wealth of knowledge on the Killarney and wider Kerry area, so do not hesitate to look for advice and information during your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again in March and hope that you have another enjoyable stay with us here at the lake.

Northampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

Concerns Experienced during our stay at The Lake Hotel, Killarney
Let me outline our version of those concerns, which contributed to make what, was to be a return down memory lane for us during our fortieth wedding anniversary year, when we were revisiting places we had visited after our wedding in 1973.
Some aspects of our stay were clearly covered in the customer survey which we completed in full and handed personally to the person available at the reception desk together with full details of all our other concerns experienced during our stay (most of which she was aware of at first hand). With an express request to pass them on in full to her manager and the hotel’s General Manager.
On our arrival, after a very long journey, a family meeting, an enjoyable drink and snack in the hotel sun lounge, we retired to our room; to catch up on E-Mails etc., alas there was no wireless access in the room (which our deluxe room was supposed to have). I spoke to a person manning the reception desk on the phone and she explained that there was broadband she would arrange to send to our room the necessary internet cable, on arrival I was unable to access the internet as the system kept requesting a “Username & Password” at this stage I gave up and retired to bed.
• Early the following morning , I went to the reception desk and discussed the availability of internet access in our room with the person manning the reception desk, who advised that the hotel was in the process of changing its internet provider and that some rooms had not yet got availability. This should have been pointed out on booking in and appropriate adjustments made to our account. I then spent time accessing my E-Mails in the hotels public area.
• After breakfast, I continued to access my E-Mails in the hotel’s public area before returning to our room late morning, having decided to spend the day at leisure within the hotel, as we were still tired from our previous day’s travelling.
• On returning to our room we found that the lady was in the process of cleaning and refreshing our room, we explained to her that we were going to sit outside on our patio and enjoy the scenery and sunshine, but could she clean down the table and chairs as they were not clean (this prevented my wife from sitting outside the previous evening). The person proceeded to clean these but stated that they only stay clean for a maximum of two hours or so.
• Prior to leaving, the cleaning person explained that our room had been completed and ready for use. My wife went to the bathroom and proceeded to use the towels, only to find that they were all extremely damp. I immediately went to see the person in the corridor, on finding her; she explained to me that, as the towels were not placed inside the bath, but on it, she did not replace them with clean towels, on my request, she then replaced them. I then discovered that the bottles of drinking water had also not been replaced, on discussing this with the lady I was advised that these waters were only supplied on day one, after some discussion she supplied me with two small bottles of drinking water.
• During the remainder of the morning and the early afternoon, we sat outside on our patio and enjoyed reading the daily papers etc., only to be disturbed by people walking close to our room and stopping occasionally to look at us. All went well until mid-afternoon when suddenly a bottle from above, crashed and broke into pieces only a foot in front of the table at which we were sitting, I looked at the upper floors and spoke to a gentleman in the room just above us, who advised the bottle had come from above him.
• I telephoned the front office to explain this extremely disturbing and dangerous incident, they expressed serious concern and advised that a lady had phoned them to advise of her inexcusable actions. A person from the front office came to our room and examined the bottle (a DWD alcohol bottle), apologised and arranged for the broken pieces to be removed. I explained that had we been sitting a foot or two further out on our patio area, the offending bottle would have possibly have struck us directly or have crashed on the table and could have caused very serious facial and or head injury to one or both of us. We did not hear anything further regarding this extremely serious concern at any time until I disused it with the person manning the reception desk on paying our account in full and asked her to request yourself and your General Manager to carry out a full review of all our concerns and advise me of the results.
• We were reluctant to go outside on our patio after this incident, and decided that it was safer to stay inside.
• Late that night around 23:00, we decided to retire for the night, at which time on getting into bed, I discovered that the pillows and sheets were damp; this was from the previous night when I was extremely hot and with no air conditioning available in our room. On further investigating the lamentable situation, I found the tissue, which my wife had used to treat my eyes with medication the previous night was still in the bed.
• At this stage feeling completely disillusioned, frustrated, and very tired, I found a part of the bed where it was possible to rest my body and get some sleep.
As explained all of the above is not what one expects from a four star establishment purporting to offer “Irish Hospitality”, “Peace & Tranquillity" , “Offering a Relaxing Break” with a hundred years of looking after and ensuring that your customers have an experience to cherish and remember.
Alas, our experience was very far removed from these missions, I was particular perturbed to learn during our telecom with a member of staff at the hotel.
 All our clearly outlined concerns were not apparently communicated in full.
 An urgent and comprehensive review was not carried out by the appropriate management once having been informed of these lamentable and unacceptable episodes, that only damages the establishment’s reputation and leave their guest’s departing with a number of very disappointing memories.
 I was surprised to learn from staff that appropriate signage was not clearly and prominently visible in the rooms on the upper levels (as advised during a telecom), I am sure that the Irish Health & Safety Executive as does ours, insist that such signage is a prerequisite in such rooms.
The reason why it has taken so long to post these remarks is simply due to the hotels senior management’s regretful intransient, discourteous and unprofessional approach.

Bill & Gill

Room Tip: Ensure in that advance that you know what you are booking
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
14 Thank Wynn434
Friendly_Irish_Hotel, General Manager at Lake Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Mr O Rourke,
I am writing to you on the day that the Lake Hotel has been announced as one of the top 15 hotels in Ireland and the number one four star hotel in Killarney by Trip Advisor itself. All of the team here at the lake are very pleased to celebrate this fantastic achievement and would like to thank our guests for getting us there. It is unfortunately with no surprise that I read your most recent correspondence. Following lengthy correspondence with you over the past few months with several members of our team I feel that we have exhausted every avenue in our contact with you. I am disappointed that you have decided to continue to affect our reputation in advance of our re-opening for 2014. Thankfully The Lake Hotel is blessed with a loyal and dedicated guest base and I would urge any readers of my response to please look at our other guest reports to get a picture of what the vast majority of guests are saying about us. Thank you.
Niall Huggard - General Manager
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel for one night. All I can say it was an amazing experience. Beautiful hotel with spacious rooms with spectacular view, afficient staff, good value and amazing restaurant food. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013
Friendly_Irish_Hotel, General Manager at Lake Hotel, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us and for marking us so highly on your report. What a lovely report to read, it is such a pleasure to know that our guests left us feeling happy and relaxed and willing to recommend us to their family and friends. I am writing to you at the moment from a closed hotel as we close each year in December and January. We are currently preparing the hotel for re-opening and making some improvements for 2014 for our guests to enjoy. The lake is looking beautiful today with the crisp frosty air, snow capped mountains and a lovely still lake only interrupted by the odd swan rippling the water. I do hope that we can welcome you back to the lake again in 2014 and thank you once again for such a lovely review.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

Had a wonderful weekend here in mid-November, great value for money. We had a beautiful meal on our first night which was included in the deal. The staff in the restaurant were so friendly and helpful we were very impressed. The room was fab with amazing views and had a very comfy bed. Will definitely be back and would certainly recommend the hotel to friends.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Mo7896
Dear Guest,

Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us and for marking us so highly on your report. We take it as a huge compliment that you say that you will return to us again in the future and recommend the hotel to your friends thank you most sincerely for this. I’m glad to read that you found the hotel to be good value for money, we always do our best to ensure that we provide good value to our guests while offering a top class product and service at the same time. I’m pleased to read that you enjoyed your meal in the Castlelough Restaurant, Colman and his team in the kitchen do a great job in producing top class local produce for our guests to enjoy during their visits. It is good to hear that you were happy with the room that you were allocated also. We have a great selection of rooms available here at the hotel to suit all styles ranging from our standard woodland view rooms to our Master Deluxe rooms and our Master Roman Suite rooms. I do hope that we can welcome you back soon again and thank you once again for such a lovely review.

Newburgh, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

The view from our room was stunning. The bed was firm. The hotel is close to Killarney yet we felt that we had gotten away from all the hustle and bustle of tourists. The food in the restaurant was excellent and reasonably priced.
The Lake Hotel is cozy, charming and elegant. We liked it so well we stayed an extra night.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a lake view
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pinekneedle
Dear Guest,

Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us and for marking us so highly on your report. I hope that you got home safely to Indiana. What a lovely compliment that you enjoyed your stay with us so much that you extended your stay for an extra night we really appreciate this. The hotel is very lucky alright to be in such a great location right in the heart of Killarney’s National Park yet so close to Killarney town and all that it has to offer should our guests so desire. The lake is such a beautiful, peaceful and tranquil place, just looking out at the lake and surrounding nature has a way of calming and relaxing the soul. Thank you also for your kind comments regarding the food that you received at the hotel I will pass these on to Colman our Head Chef and his team in the kitchen. I do hope that we can welcome you back some time in the future and thank you once again for such a lovely review.