“"A relaxing break"”

Ranked #7 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Wicklow, Ireland
“"A relaxing break"”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We have just returned home from our third fantastic visit to The Lake Hotel, this time we stayed for three nights. The staff are so friendly and helpful, the location is fantastic. Food is excellent in both the bar and the restaurant and you have to experience the spa and a treatment with Kristen, she is the best! I am very happy to recommend this hotel in a great location.

Room Tip: We were disappointed with the Superior bedroom so we upgraded to a Deluxe bedroom which I would reco...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Friendly_Irish_Hotel, General Manager at Lake Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Guest,
Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us and for marking us so highly on you report. It is so nice to be able to welcome our guests back to us on repeat visits and we take it as a huge compliment that you choose to spend your special holiday time with us here at the lake. Thank you for your lovely comments regarding the team here at the hotel of whom we are very proud. Thank you also for your kind words about the quality of the food in both the Lake side bistro and our Castlelough restaurant I will pass those on to Noel our head chef and his team in the kitchen who do a great job producing top class locally produced food for our guests to enjoy. I will also pass your compliments on to Kirstin our beauty therapist as you mention her in particular in your review. Kirstin is a fantastic member of our team and is a wealth of knowledge for our guests on all things wellness and beauty. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon again.
Kind Regards, Niall Huggard – General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (751)
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

Visited in March 2014 to celebrate above. Was treated royally.
Returned again last week (April). This is a fab hotel, family run and has the best customer service I have come across. Great location, great food and great service especially from Annette in reception.
Anne (cork)

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Anne O
Dear Guest,
Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us and for marking us so highly on you report. Congratulations on your retirement and I hope that your birthday break was made all the more enjoyable by staying with us here at the lake for the celebrations. Thank you so much for your lovely comments regarding our team here at the hotel we feel extremely lucky to have such dedicated and loyal employees here at the hotel and it is lovely to know that our guests pick up on this too. I will pass your special mention on to Annette in reception who only joined us this year and is already blended into the hotel like she was here for years already and doing a wonderful job looking after our guests. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon again.
Kind Regards, Niall Huggard – General Manager
Ballymena, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

Lovely Hotel with friendly helpful staff. We had a wonderful room with views over the lakes, we watched deer walking in the grounds from our bedroom window early one morning. The food was excellent. We have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Friendly_Irish_Hotel, General Manager at Lake Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us and for marking us so highly on your report. It is such a pleasure to read these trip advisor reviews today and to see how happy our guests were with their stays with us. We really appreciate your kind comments regarding the team here at the hotel of whom we are very proud I will pass those on to them. It is nice to see that you got the opportunity to see the deer during your stay they really make a picture postcard image strolling across the edge of the lake with the ruins of the McCarthy Mór Castle in the backdrop. We really appreciate you recommending us so highly to other trip advisor readers thank you most sincerely for this. I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to us soon again and thank you once again for this lovely review.
cork
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Stayed in the 4 poster rooms ,with my daughter. The view and ambiance of the hotel is unreal. I love all the wages and account ledgers from years ago,they are so interesting . The room was so spacious and spotlessly clean.
The staff were welcoming and so helpful in every way. I am still full from breakfast which was out of this world,and to top it off we got a window seat overlooking the lake bliss.
I cannot say enough good things about my time at the lake,to finish I will be back and I can't wait.
Well done to all the team there.

Room Tip: Def get a room on top floor
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us and for marking us so highly on your report. The four poster rooms are a real treat alright and have that lovely little touch of luxury. I’m glad to read that you enjoyed the old memorabilia that we have left around the hotel for our guest’s enjoyment. The hotel has a rich history and it is lovely to be able to share this with our guests and for them to be able to take a glimpse of past times. Thank you for your lovely comments about our team here at the hotel who do a great job in ensuring that our guests get top class service during their visits I will pass those on to them. I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to us soon again and thank you once again for this lovely review.
Athlone, Ireland
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Stayed here at the weekend, on our 6th stay! It was a last minute trip on the back of the past guest offer, which was great value for money. We stayed in one of the older lake view rooms (we usually stay in the new wing) and everything was good. Great view and love the Jacuzzi bath. Furniture and decor is dated but didn’t bother us too much, although if your budget allows I would opt for the deluxe lake views in the new part. Staff were friendly as always, and it’s nice to see the same staff there year on year, always think it’s a good sign of a happy workforce. We ate in the restaurant one night and the bar the second night, all lovely. However, I do feel quality in the restaurant has dwindled slightly over the years. All in all a lovely stay and we will definitely return, we never stay anywhere else when in the area. The staff and views are unrivalled.

Room Tip: go for deluxe lake view if your budget allows.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us and for marking us so highly on your report. Thank you for choosing to return to us on a regular basis it is always lovely to welcome back familiar faces. I’m glad that you felt that the past guest offer was great value for money we send these offers out on a quarterly basis to our repeat guests as a gesture of appreciation of their business. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our team here at the hotel of whom we are very proud as they are very dedicated to ensuring that all of our guests have a great time during their stays with us. I note your comments regarding the restaurant. We are always doing our best to continue to strive towards excellence in all areas of the hotel and we will always listen to any feedback a guest has that will help us improve on the quality of the products and services we offer. Please do not hesitate to contact me at any time if there is anything specific that you would like to see improved in the hotel. I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to us soon again and thank you once again for this lovely review.
Cork
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the lake hotel at least five times now a kept meaning to do a review, if your looking for excellent staff and a relaxing getaway look no further, the Huggard family pull out all the stops. Food in the in the bar and restaurant are excellent as well. Also a very romantic setting in the evening time at the back of the hotel ( this is where I popped the question two years ago ) on the nicely lit walk way by the lake. Can't wait for our next stay to relax in the Canadian hot tub followed by a Guinness in the Devils Punchbowl. Eric & Aine

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us and for marking us so highly on your report. It is always a huge pleasure to welcome guests back on repeat visits to us we really appreciate you choosing to spend your special holiday time with us. I see that you choose the lake as the location to pop the question two years ago so I hope the hotel will always have fond memories for you. We are very lucky to have the privilege of being able to help our guests make memories to treasure during their special holiday time with us. I will pass your kind comments regarding the food and the bar on to our team here at the hotel. I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to us soon again and thank you once again for this lovely review.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 6 April 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Lake Hotel in early September 2013. It was an excellent base to explore Kerry and Dingle areas by car. Tours are also available. If you stay there, spring the extra for a lake view room. The view is spectacular: deer grazing in the evening, mountains and cloud, the sunset, and finally we were honoured on our last day there with a beautiful rainbow. We had a spacious room on an upper floor. We were torn between giving the hotel a 4 or a 5. We opted for a 4, since in places it is a tiny bit tired. Service was good, but given the large size of the hotel and the number of guests at that time of year, it did not feel personalized. We ate the breakfast buffet each morning and it was good but the atmosphere was very bustling. We also ate at the bar and the food and service there was also good. The hotel is within walking distance of Killarney town centre (about 1/2 hour walk along sidewalks at a reasonable pace). The walk is more enjoyable when it isn't raining :-). The main Ring of Kerry road and national park are a short distance from the hotel.

We would stay in the hotel again.

Room Tip: Choose a lake view on an upper floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mrtravcan
Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us and for marking us so highly on your report. It is lovely to hear that you were so pleased with your recent stay with us. Thank you for posting the lovely photos that you took during your visit also to show readers what the views are like from the hotel. I’m glad to see from the photos that you had a chance to see the deer during your visit who visit us on a regular basis to the delight of our guests. I do hope that you availed of our free Lake Hotel Maps during your visit to us as they outline some of Killarney and the wider Kerry area’s most popular attractions along with some hidden gems and are very handy if you are driving the Ring Of Kerry or the Dingle Peninsula yourself. We really appreciate you recommending us so highly to Trip Advisor readers in your report thank you most sincerely for this. I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to us soon again and thank you once again for taking the time to post your report.