“Great place”
Review of Lake Hotel

Lake Hotel
Ranked #9 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Wonderful location and service. It is the only hotel located inside the park. The staff is wonderful. The view is unbelievable. Rooms are big but the TVA are old. No pool but the fitness center is ok.

Room Tip: Doesn't have a pool. Wonderful staff. Only hotel located inside the park.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank kgeraci
Friendly_Irish_Hotel, General Manager at Lake Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Guest,
Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us and for choosing The Lake Hotel for your holiday in Killarney. We are indeed extremely lucky to be located right in Killarney’s National Park and yet only a stone’s throw from Killarney town and all it has to offer. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our team here at the hotel of whom we are very proud I will pass those on to them. I’m glad to read that you were impressed with the beautiful views from the hotel there is no nicer sight to pull the curtains open to in the morning than the beautiful Louch Lein, the surrounding mountains and the McCarthy Mór Castle on the grounds of the hotel it makes for a great start to the day and a great start to your Killarney adventure. We really appreciate you taking the time to post this lovely review and I hope that we can welcome you back to us soon again.
Kind Regards, Niall Huggard – General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,393)

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Returned in mid May for a mid week break with my mother. We really like the Hotel as we have been visiting the Hotel for the last 10 years + which is run by the Huggard family. The most recent visit in mid May was fine but was let down by our experience in the Castlelough restaurant.

On the day of arrival we chose to eat in the main restaurant which was part of our deal, we booked in for 19.30 and arrived promptly for our sitting however this is when things went down hill. The waiter advised that no window seat was available which is fine however he pointed to a table not properly set and told us to take a seat....he did not bring us over or give us a menu which unbelievable took 20 minutes to aqquire from one of the staff. There were also delays with setting the table and some minor mistakes made in setting the table and additional delays in getting a wine menu however it still took some time to finally get served. When the main course arrived it was served on cold plates which was disappointing as usually the restaurant is of a higher standard. There was a large group in the restaurant at the time however when they all left to move to an adjoining room none of the tables were cleared until the end of our meal which was unsightly....an off night by all accounts and as a result we ate elsewhere on the following 2 x nights.

I would say however that breakfast which is served in the same restaurant each morning was faultless and in my view the quality of the breakfast has improved on last year.

In summary lovely friendly Hotel with amazing views but let down by the meal on the first night of our stay.

I will however be back !

Pat L

Room Tip: My preference is for rooms in the new part of the Hotel
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Paddy172

Dear Guest,
Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us and for choosing The Lake Hotel for your holiday in Killarney. It is always a pleasure to be able to welcome our guest’s back on repeat visits to us and to be able to offer them a home away from home here at the Lake for their special holiday time. Firstly thank you for your kind comments regarding the quality of breakfast and the friendliness of our team here at the hotel we really appreciate your kind words thank you. I’m disappointed though to read that your experience in the Castlelough Restaurant was less than perfect on this occasion. We always do our very best to get all of our guests a seat by the window as we know that people love to sit there. Unfortunately it is not always possible as sometimes it can be extremely busy and we always allocate seats on a first come first seated basis as we feel that this is the fairest way to do it. All seats in the restaurant do have a lake view though albeit not at the very front of the window. It sounds like you came in to the restaurant at a particularly busy time and in hindsight this should have been explained to you by front desk and an alternative time offered should you have preferred that. I’m sorry that this was not done on this occasion and I will speak to Anne and her team at front desk to ensure that guests are informed if a group is dining at the same time so they can avoid any delay caused by this for the future. I do hope that you will return to us again in the future and please don’t hesitate to ask for me personally during your visit so that I can ensure that all is in order with your stay. Thank you once again for your honesty in your report your feedback is important to us and we will do our very best to follow up on your comments so that we can continue to improve on the services we offer here at the lake.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We visited here having heard good things about the Lake Hotel. I was expecting it to be a bit more luxurious. I found the bar and the toilets a disappointment when compared to other hotels with the same ranking. I found service poor. We sat down for a bite to eat and despite two men inside the counter shining glasses and girls floating, nobody approached us. I had to go up and collect menus myself. I found the decor dated and tired. The lakes were wonderful however.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank enigmatic9

Dear Guest,
Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us and for choosing The Lake Hotel for your holiday in Killarney. Thank you for your kind comment regarding the beauty of the lakes we are indeed extremely lucky and privileged to be situated in one of the best locations in Ireland. Looking out at the lake and the beauty of the mountains and nature that surrounds it always does the mind good and refreshes the soul. I’m sorry to read that you weren’t a fan of the old world look. The hotel has been here since 1820 so we have decorated it in a style that we feel is sympathetic to the building and its history. For those who prefer the modern look we do have rooms on the new side of the building which were only added on six years ago and these are done in a more modern style. All of our rooms new and old do have all modern conveniences though and it is only the style which differs. We do our best to try to have something to suit all tastes and to continue to listen to our guests and make improvements based on their suggestions. I’m disappointed to read that you felt the service in the bar could have been improved. I will pass this on to Steve our bar manager to discuss with his team. In fairness we get very little negative feedback in regards to our team in the food and beverage areas as they are very hardworking and make it their business to ensure that all guests get seen to as quickly as possibly I’m only sorry that this didn’t happen for you on this occasion. Thank you once again for your report and your feedback as for us listening to our guest’s comments and opinions it is the best way for us to continue to improve on what we offer here at the hotel.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

My boyfriend and I selected this hotel because of the convenience to the park. The room was beautiful and had spectacular views of the lake. We found the restaurant and bar area to be very "sleepy." If you are looking for a peaceful hotel, this one is for you.

Room Tip: You definitely want a room with a lake view worth the extra money.

Dear Guest,
Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us and for choosing The Lake Hotel for your holiday in Killarney. The hotel is indeed a great location to choose should you wish to explore Killarney’s beautiful National Park and the surrounding areas. I hope that you availed of our free specially made Lake Hotel Maps which outline Killarney’s most popular attractions along with some lesser known hidden gems for our guest’s to enjoy. We are very lucky here at the hotel to be situated right on the Shore of Lough Lein where our guests can enjoy the beauty of the lake, surrounding mountains and the old Mc Carthy Mór Castle. With the deer grazing by the lakeside, the swans on the lake and even the possibility of catching a glimpse of the illusive white tailed eagle from time to time our guests are spoiled with the natural beauty of the area. The hotel is lucky to be situated in such a peaceful and beautiful area but is yet only a stone’s throw from Killarney town and all it has to offer should our guests feel like doing a bit of shopping or exploring the lively pub and music scene in the evenings. Thank you once again for this lovely report and I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to us soon again.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Firstly I must say we were pretty wrecked after the wedding so I must say we didn't make use of everything the hotel had to offer!
Anyway we arrived mid afternoon to a lovely reception from the staff, chocolates and champagne and a gift of a lovely picture from the hotel in our four poster room. The rooms were comfortable and had everything you need. The view was absolutely stunning and it was hard no to just stare out at that for hours on end. We ate in the bar and also in the restaurant and the quality of the food was very high. Breakfast was also of a very good standard and had a wide range of choices.
I would highly recommend going on a boat trip (organised through the hotel). We had a great time!
The only thing is that our room was a bit of a trek to get back and forwards from the reception, but that's not an issue and doesn't detract from a great hotel in a stunning location.
We will have to return when not so exhausted!!

Room Tip: Get a room with a view!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Friendly_Irish_Hotel, General Manager at Lake Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay with us and for marking us so highly on your report. Congratulations on your recent wedding a lovely happy event to celebrate and I’m pleased to read that you were happy with the gift of the Lake Hotel Print that was given to you as a token of congratulations. The lake is the ideal place to come after a big event like that to sit back relax and unwind and enjoy some great food along with some of the best views in the country. Thank you for your kind comments about the quality of food that you received during your visit I will pass those on to Noel our Head Chef and his team in the kitchen. I’m glad to read that you enjoyed the boat trip that was organised for you that departs right here at the Lake Hotel Pier on the grounds of the Mc Carthy Mór Castle a unique experience that is one that you will probably remember forever. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to us soon again and thank you once again for this really lovely review.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

8:00 dinner with a sepectacular lake view. When we saw there were no prices on the menu we thought of the old adage "if you have to ask" you cannot afford it. Our meals were fresh, well prepared and the check was very moderate, even with wine and beautiful desserts.

Dear Guest,

Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay with us and for choosing to stay at The Lake Hotel for your holiday in Killarney. It is lovely to read that you enjoyed your meal in our Castlelough restaurant and that you felt it was good value for money. Our head chef Noel and his team in the kitchen do a great job in producing exciting and tasty dishes using the very best locally sourced Irish produce. I’m glad to read also that you were impressed with our wine list Anthony our Restaurant Manager does a great job in selecting the finest of wines for our guests to enjoy during their stays with us. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to us soon again.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Overall had a very nice stay in this hotel, Beautiful surroundings, Service from Bistro staff and Bar staff could not be faulted and the food in Bistro was of excellent standard. Yes there's a BUT the food in the main Restaurant was terrible, one waiter sneezed into his hands and then proceeded to set the table with cutlery and glasses without even washing or cleaning his hands. My partners desert actually rolled of her plate as the waiter served her and to our disbelief he never offered to change it until asked !!! Avoid the four poster beds they creak and rattle all night when your turning.

Room Tip: Higher floors have superb views of the lakes
3  Thank GregN188

Dear Guest,

Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay with us and for choosing to stay at The Lake Hotel for your holiday in Killarney. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our team here at the hotel of whom we are very proud as they always do a terrific job in ensuring that our guests have a great holiday while here with us. I’m disappointed though to read that you were not pleased with the service that you received in our Castlelough Restaurant and to read your comment regarding the sneezing. All of our employees here at the hotel are trained and signed off on our food safety programme and have regular refresher training on same so it is most unusual to hear a comment such as this. I will make sure and pass your comments on to our restaurant manager to discuss with his team in the restaurant to ensure that this doesn’t happen again. I do hope that you will choose to return to us again in the future and please do not hesitate to ask for me personally during your next visit so that I can make sure that all is in order with your stay.