“Gets better every time”

Ranked #8 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Cork, Ireland
“Gets better every time”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Would stay in this hotel at least twice a year, and have stayed as a family and as romantic weekend, the location is great right on the lake, and the deer come up to the hotel most evenings, and always a lovely view first thing in the morning with your breakfast. The food in the bar is second to none, and the service always first class. Bedrooms are traditional and beautiful. I have stayed in a lot of hotels in Killarney and would only stay in the Lake Hotel from now on, great staff and a stunning hotel

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Trevor R
Friendly_Irish_Hotel, General Manager at Lake Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Guest,
Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us and for marking us so highly on your report. What a lovely comment to make that you “would only stay in the Lake Hotel from now on” we really appreciate these kind words, your loyalty and you recommending us so highly to Trip Advisor readers. It always gives us great pleasure to welcome guests back on repeat visits and to be able to provide a home away form home in Killarney for our guests here at the lake. Thank you for your kind words regarding the quality of food that you received during your stay. I will pass this on to Noel our head chef and his team in the kitchen who do a fantastic job in providing our guests with top class, locally sourced tasty cuisine. I do hope that we can welcome you back to us soon again and thank you once again for this lovely report.
Kind Regards, Niall Huggard – General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (750)
Northville, Michigan
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The location of this hotel is fantastic. The view from our room was one of the most beautiful we've ever had at any hotel. The staff was very helpful and the rooms were very nice. The only drawback was the bedding which had very old blankets. I would think at this type of hotel, they would have updated their bedding and gotten away from nasty blankets. But don't let that keep you away. We would go back to this hotel in a minute.

2 Thank Elizabeth O
Friendly_Irish_Hotel, General Manager at Lake Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Guest,
Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us and for marking us so highly on your report. I’m pleased to read that you were impressed with our location. We are extremely lucky indeed to be situated right in Killarney’s beautiful National Park and yet be only a stone’s throw away from Killarney town and all it has to offer. The view that our guest’s pull open the curtains to in the morning is always a tonic the beauty of the lake, surrounding mountains and the 12th centaury Mc Carthy Mór Castle never fails to impress. I note your comments regarding the blankets and I’m sorry that you did not find them comfortable it’s a pity that you didn’t let us know during your stay as we also have duvets available for guests who prefer duvets and we are more than happy to provide these for our guests. I do hope that we can welcome you back to us again in the future and thank you once again for this lovely report.
Ireland
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Iv worked in the Lake Hotel so for me it was so lovely to go back and see lots of familiar faces after five years and have such a lovely relaxing stay. Vicky is such a friendly approachable and helpful person. So well suited to reception. Bridie in the restaurant is such a warm helpful person. Everyone in the Lake Hotel including the Huggard family always make you feel welcomed and looked after.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank RebelsIreland
Friendly_Irish_Hotel, General Manager at Lake Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Lorraine,
Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us and for marking us so highly on your report. It is always so nice to welcome back past guests and of course past team members here to the hotel. I’m pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay on this occasion and that there were still lots of familiar faces five years on. I will make sure and pass your compliments on to Vicky as you mention her in particular in your report, she is a great addition to our team here in front desk and is a popular person with both guests and colleagues alike. I will also pass your compliments on to Bridie who as always does a fantastic job in looking after all of our guests in the restaurant and always makes them feel right at home while with us here at the lake. We are so lucky here at the hotel to have had such great people working with us over the years including yourself Lorraine as it’s the people who make a place special at the end of the day and the people play a huge part in making our guests stays with us that bit extra special. I do hope that we can welcome you back to us soon again and thank you once again for this lovely report.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I don't even know where to begin...this hotel exceeded our expectations in every way. We chose the Lake Hotel primarily for the lake view setting and its location to the many trails. The pictures I viewed prior to visiting barely begin to capture the beauty and tranquillity of this place.

The hotel grounds are stunning! Very well maintained with ample space in the back for lounging, eating/drinking, walking, reading, etc. The lake itself is calm, soothing, and mesmerizing. When the sun is out or just peaking through the clouds, WOW...gorgeous. The ruins located on the grounds adds a nice little touch as well. Various birds and wildlife can be seen as well. We saw deer both days of our stay, walking through the shallow water and they come right up to the back patio grassy area. We also saw what we think was a fox (late at night).

We didn't pick a specific room upon booking. I'm sure a lake view room would have been nice but we don't go on vacation to just stay in our room. Even just one minute spent in the room staring out the window would be a wasted minute spent here. Our room was lovely though. It faced the front drive in but we just closed the drapes when we wanted privacy. The bed was cozy. The shower had some sort of jet contraption included (we didn't even try to figure it out, didn't need to). There was a separate, decent sized, jetted bathtub in the room area and ample tables/chairs and vanity space for our belongings. Truth be told, the room offered more than we needed for our stay (but appreciated nonetheless). I don't believe we were in a "new" area of the hotel, on the first floor down from the bar. There was no musky smell, or any bad smells at all. The hallway was a bit rustic, but that just added to the decorative beauty of the hotel.

We didn't opt for dining in the actual restaurant but instead chose to eat at the bar. Our first night in we arrived late, past dining times, but the front desk was glad to help us order a local pizza. The restaurant menu is more lavish than the bar menu, but not by much. Both menus have a grand variety of items to choose from, not just burgers and sandwiches. My husband and I both ordered a yummy steak and ate it right at the bar. We did opt in for breakfast each day, which was nice. They had a wide variety of items to choose from and the morning view was amazing (looking out at the lake grounds).

Everyone we came across was friendly, helpful, and just made our stay that much better. We enjoyed hanging out at the bar both evenings, which also has live music later in the night (I don't believe every night though). The bartenders were FABULOUS, James and especially Ben. We shared numerous laughs with them. In planning our trip to the Gap of Dunloe, Ben even offered to scoop us up on his way to work if we needed a ride back to the hotel (he told us to contact his daughter and she'd call him, etc.). While we didn't end up needing it, it was a very kind and appreciated gesture. It's not often you run into people willing to go out of their way like that. Thanks again Ben!

Lastly, the location of the hotel was perfect. Our first day in we arrived a little later in the day and immediately took off to find a trail. This was the day we ended up with pizza b/c we missed dining hours due to our trail hike. It's just a short walk out of the hotel and down the road before you hit one of the hiking trails. I believe that's where the "Kerry Way" trail started. We took the dirt path along the lake, versus the paved path. The scenery was amazing, but that's another story. We took our time and made it to the Torc falls before turning back, stopping along the way for various photos. We were probably gone 3 hours and most of it was actual trail time, thank goodness it didn't get dark until after 10 pm!!

Oh, and they do have a jacuzzi room. I didn't visit it but my husband did and loved it. He said it had a spectacular view of the lake. I didn't realize they had one until our visit so I was sadly unprepared (no suit).

Overall, this is the place to stay and may be a highlight of your trip. The view, hotel grounds, staff, and close walking trails all blend into one fabulous experience.

Room Tip: Any room should be a good room. I believe we had a standard woodland room and it was perfect. We did...
Dear Guest,
Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us and for marking us so highly on your report. Thank you also for posting the photos you took during your visit to us they are lovely and I’m sure that other Trip Advisor readers will be interested in what the hotel looks like. It sounds like you had a great holiday while here in Killarney. It is so nice to read that your stay was enjoyed so much and that your visit to Killarney was enhanced by staying with us here at the lake. Nothing gives us greater pleasure than to know that our guests left us feeling happy and relaxed and pleased with the service that they received here during their visit. Your comments are so sincere and genuine they are just lovely to read. We really appreciate you recommending us so highly to Trip Advisor readers. I do hope that we can welcome you back to us again in the future and thank you once again for this lovely report.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Sadly, the photos on their website don't do it any justice, because this place was wonderful!
It was a late honeymoon for my husband and I. We'd gotten the Master Deluxe Lake View room. Wasn't sure because of the photos online, but it was AMAZING. Great bed, AMAZING view, awesome service (ordered room service, which was both fast and delicious). Our private jacuzzi was great, too. The balcony a perfect place to eat and see the lake and castle. My Husband and I both agreed that the breakfast there was one of the nicest breakfasts we ever had. The place really made our stay that much more enjoyable and would DEFINITELY recommend it.

Hot tub and amenities were wonderful, too. The live music at night was fun. Also, I'd gotten a hot stone massage by a German woman and it was wonderful, she was very good.

ps: Siobhan @ reception is the best!

Room Tip: While the Roman rooms are supposed to be nicer (I think they're a little more money), they don...
Dear Guest,
Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us and for marking us so highly on your report. Congratulations on your recent wedding and I hope that the honeymoon was made all the more special with your stay at the lake. I’m very pleased to read that you were happy with the Master Deluxe Roman Room it is a real special occasions room and offers something a little out of the norm for our guests to enjoy, its always nice to have something a little bit special different to what you would have at home for these special events. What a lovely comment that the breakfast that you both enjoyed at the lake was one of the best you’ve ever had I will make sure and pass this on to our breakfast chef Tomas who will be very pleased with himself to hear such lovely compliments. Kirstin our massage therapist is a gem to be sure and the feedback we get from our guests on her skills is simply exceptional we are very lucky to have her here at the lake. I will also pass your compliments on to Siobhán in reception as you mention her particularly in you report. Siobhán is a wealth of information on the local area and is here with us at the hotel for 8 years now so is a great person to get all the local knowledge from and is very popular with our guests. I do hope that we can welcome you back to us again in the future and thank you once again for this lovely report.
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Beautiful large hotel, with all the grandeur of times past. We had a gorgeous room in the new part of the hotel with a lake view and a balcony. The staff were really helpful and knowledgeable. Food was great too. I would highly recommend staying here, as there is so much to see nearby.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,
Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us and for marking us so highly on your report. I’m pleased to read that you were impressed with the room that you were allocated during your stay with us. The balcony is a great place on which to sit back, relax and take in the beauty of the Lough Lein, the surrounding mountains and the Mc Carthy Mór Castle situated on the grounds of the hotel all in the peace and tranquillity of you own room. No matter what the weather the beauty of this vista is always evident and never fails to refresh the spirit and relax the soul. Thank you also for your kind comments regarding the quality of the food that you received during your visit. Noel our head chef and his team in the kitchen never fail to provide top class, locally produced Irish cuisine for our guests to enjoy. I do hope that we can welcome you back to us again in the future and thank you once again for this lovely report.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Upon arriving we had booked the Roman Deluxe room, which we found to be very dated and smelled quite musty/damp and also had no view of the Lake. Rooms on the website can be a little confusing as to which one you are booking. We then asked could we have a different room, which we were given without fuss and with money back, we then got a fabulous room with a gorgeous view of the lake. The staff were so friendly and helpful and the food in the restaurant was gorgeous. I am counting down the days until I can return. Keep up the great work Lake Hotel.

Room Tip: Ensure you book a room with a view of the Lake, the view is to die for!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 63Amy63
Dear Guest,
Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us and for choosing the Lake for your holiday in Killarney. What a lovely comment to make that you are counting down the days until you can return to us thank you most sincerely for your kind words. It is always a pleasure to read that our guests left us feeling happy and relaxed and pleased with their holiday to Killarney. Thank you for your kind comments about the gorgeous food in the restaurant I will pass these on to Noel our head chef and his team in the kitchen who do a great job in ensuring our guests have a great food experience during their visit to us. I’m sorry that you felt that there was a bad smell in the Roman Room on arrival I suspect that perhaps someone may have smoked in the room before your arrival. Although all rooms are non smoking you do have the odd person who breaks the rules now and again and I’m sorry that this must have been the case on this occasion. I will speak to our team in accommodation to remind them about the airing out of rooms should they feel that it has a Smokey smell. I’m pleased to read though that you were very happy with the Lake View Room that you were re allocated following this and I’m glad to read that you felt that the front desk handled this change well and without any hassle for you. I do hope that we can welcome you back to us again in the future and thank you once again for this lovely report.