“Out of this World”
Review of Lake Hotel

Lake Hotel
Ranked #10 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed 12 January 2010

If you're willing to afford it, this is an absolutely fantastic hotel, and one I can't wait to get back to.

Stayed for 3 nights in a master deluxe room (with jacuzzi in room and lake views). Had planned 2 nights at 200e per night, but was offered 100e for the final night and took advantage of the offer. I wouldn't suggest the woodland view rooms to anyone, as although they may be perfectly nice, you can only be missing out without the lake views.

Despite having read the fantastic reviews on tripadvisor I was a little worried about the decor. It looked terrible to me in the photos - I like very modern rooms (ie no flowery wallpaper/carpet). However, the reviews were so good, I took the chance. Was not disappointed - the photos (especially on the actual hotel website) simply do not do justice to the rooms. The room was incredibly spacious, with a beautifully placed hottub in the main bedroom and a balcony to admire the INCREDIBLE views. I can't even begin to imagine how big the suites must be. We were on the 4th floor.

I had seen other users' photos of deer - thought this might be a rare occurence, but sure enough saw them constantly during our stay. We were somehow blessed with nice weather but this would be a fantastic place to enjoy in torrential rain also.

The breakfast lounge/restaurant is a fantastic setting to enjoy your meals. Unfortunately the manager was incredibly rude on one evening but did apologise and give free drinks after complaining - I certainly wouldn't let this put me off the hotel. (and I'd generally never set foot in a restaurant again after a bad experience).

As for location, it is superb, just outside Killarney town, a short taxi ride away or what I would guess to be a 20minute walk.

Seemed quiet when we were there but nonetheless didn't hear a single noise from outside the room/corridors. (bar the stag)

Overall I can't recommend this hotel highly enough based on quality of room, views and romantic setting. Might not be the best value, but that's probably not what you're looking for at the Lake Hotel. If you want a romantic setting, relaxed surroundings, spacious, well decorated room with superb views - book it.

1  Thank JSJ84

Reviewed 15 November 2009

Just returned from a 2 night stay at this hotel with my husband and young child.This hotel is beautiful and the views were spectacular from our room.We stayed in a deluxe room which was very spacious and boasted a jacuzzi bath and separate shower in the bathroom.The receptionist was very friendly on arrival and check in was swift.Our only gripe with this hotel was the bar menu,it was very limited and only served afternoon tea before 6:30 p.m.We arrived to the hotel at 4p.m and after a long drive we just wanted to relax and have some bar food but as the menu was so limited we ended up having to drive into town in the pouring rain for something to eat and with a toddler in hand this was not ideal.Overall,the hotel is beautiful and i would recommend this hotel to couples who are looking for a romantic getaway,not for families.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank jessc57
Reviewed 11 November 2009

After needing a few days R&R we could not have chosen a more suitable hotel.
Incredible views, with the most amazing food and service.
The hotel in run by the Huggards and they know how to run a hotel.

If you go make sure you have a massage and also make use of the all weather hot tub.
Me and my partner will be back there very soon.

1  Thank benandali1978
Reviewed 9 November 2009

Just back from a one night unforgetable stay.We stayed in the roman themed room it was out of this world.The room was so comfortable & the double jacuzzi in the centre of the room was pure luxury.

The setting of the hotel can only be described as stunning the ruins of a castle right on the lake shore with views of the mountains, the perfect place for a romantic proposal much to my surprise.This view can also be seen from the hot tube which is pure class.

The staff were very helpful in helping my fiancé with his plans.I also enjoyed my relaxing massage.All in all it was a great stay & we will go back.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CorkMaggiemay
Reviewed 27 October 2009

Stayed here for our wedding anniversary. We were upgraded to a gorgeous superior deluxe room with patio windows about ten metres from the lake. Room was very luxurious, and the outdoor hot tub is spectacular with its views over the lake and mountains. We ate twice in the restaurant and once in the bar - the hotel was so good we decided not to go into town at all. The Lake hotel is a bit more expensive than other places in Killarney, but it's well worth it for a treat.

1  Thank LimList
Reviewed 20 October 2009

myself and my boyfriend stayed in the four poster bed delux suite and were more then impressed. The view from our room was breath taking and really relaxing and chill. The staff were more then helpful and informative. we didnt eat in the hotel but everyone we heard from were impressed. the bar is so elegant and posh which im not use to. it was so romantic sitting beside the fire sipping on a beavey.the deer roaming the grounds are a great treat as well.
my boyfriend also treated me to a message in the spa which was the best.
i would recommand this hotel to everyone and will definitly be back again.

1  Thank LimerickHolidaycrazy
Reviewed 19 October 2009

My boyfriend and I treat ourselves to a visit to the amazing Lake Hotel once a year. The hotel is located 10/15 minutes walk from Killarney city itself but it is well worth the extra distance.

It is located on one of the beautiful Killarney Lakes and you cannot put a price on the unspoiled views from the lakeview rooms. On many occasions we witnessed the deer that live on the land grazing outside our bedroom window or running through the shallow part of the lake. There are Castle ruins on the land also as well as a trail that leads from the Hotel through the woods to the beautiful Muckross House.

There are many room types and the hotel has been renovating recently. The rooms in the new wing are very luxuriously decorated. In the original building, we have stayed in three different room types: the Lakeview Superior (amazing views across the lake and castle ruins and a jacuzzi in the bathroom), the Roman Room and the Medieval Room (Medieval or Roman themed rooms with jaccuzi in the BEDROOM!). The themed rooms are beautiful but I didn't think they were worth the sacrifice of waking up with the lake views each morning!

The hotel is elegand and the huge windows mean that the view can be enjoyed even while dining. The food at the hotel is always top class. The buffet breakfast is delicious and has everything you could want from the full irish breakfast to fruit, cereal, breads and pasteries. Dinner offers an excellent choice of good fresh local produce cooked perfectly.

The staff are very friendly and efficient and make the whole experience all the more special.

If you are looking for a peaceful, relaxing break in one of the prettiest places in Ireland, The Lake Hotel has everything from characterand charm to panoramic views. Don't forget to check out the outdoor hot tub while you're there - even in the miseralbe Irish weather it is a great experience!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple