“We had a great time staying at this good value hotel”
Review of Cahernane House

Cahernane House
Ranked #24 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
European Traveller
“We had a great time staying at this good value hotel”
Reviewed 16 August 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 6 nights with our young 4-year old son sharing the same room. The location close to Killarney and the National Park was almost perfect. We found all the staff to be very helpful and pleasant, especially the kind lady who took time to talk with us and check that we were happy with everything and the very helpful gentleman who went out of his way to help us when our hire car got a puncture - his advice saved us a lot of money and hassle. The room was spacious with a very comfortable large double bed, a walk in cupboard with ironing board (very useful) and a modern well equipped and well maintained bathroom. Dinner in the Herbert restaurant was really enjoyable and the staff were friendly. The hotel is an interesting mixture of modern and antique country house styles - the public room are large with open fires and a nice relaxing ambience. The hotel was well mainted but you had to dodge the potholes on the long driveway. I also thought that it was a shame that none of the antique clocks were working. All in all a good value hotel and a very pleasant experience - we rated it very highly.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Turkish first
PA
Reviewed 10 August 2009

I was really excited for this hotel, however it didn't quite live up to my expectations. We had I believe one of the larger rooms where we also had a living room. The room itself was a very nice size, however I had a few problems with the cleanliness.

I saw some stains on the walls that I think should have been wiped off. Also I saw spider/cob webs where the walls meet the ceiling. Worst yet, when I went to go to bed exactly where I'd be sleeping was a small dot of blood. Now, what room cleaner when making the bed with white sheets wouldn't see this spot RIGHT where a person would lay. The spot wasn't by my feet... nope, right where my chest would be.

Being that we were going to bed so late that night, I sucked it up and put a towel over it. I know many other people would have complained and had it changed right then and there but I was too tired and we were staying another night so I figured I'd have them change it for the next day.

The next morning on our way out of the hotel, I told the front desk staff of my situation. She said it would be taken care of and she appeared to be calling someone, who I assumed was the cleaning staff to take care of this problem. When we returned very late again that night, the bed was all made so I assumed this had been fixed. You know what happens when you assume.... the spot (same sheets) was still there!!!! AND to make matters worse, I had left the towel over the spot that morning and the room cleaner had removed the towel, therefore I would think seeing the brown/red spot on the white sheets.. and just left the sheets.

I was very disappointed.

On the plus side of the hotel, we thought the location was very good. Close to Killarney as well as the Muckross House and the rest of Killarney National Park. They had a really nice bar downstairs that we enjoyed for the 1st night, but the second night they appeared to have closed early. Irish bars close way too early in general! The breakfast was decent, but the same as all other places we have been.

We were happy to have fruit, cookies and water in our room upon arrival, however we were dissapointed that the fruit and cookies were not refilled.. I do not remember if the water was.

Our bathroom was quite large, but really could have used more vanity space and a larger shower. We had problems with the glass shower doors.

All in all, if I was ever in the area again, I would attempt this hotel again. It had charm and was nice looking, but really needs better housekeepers. The Days Inn right down the street had a large bar in it and some good music for people looking for that atmosphere at night (since there isn't much to watch on tv!)

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Parma, Italy
Reviewed 28 July 2009

I would absolutely reccomend this luxury hotel, expecially if you are looking for a romantic escape. It is situated on a private estate and is a excellent conserved 19th century mansion. Our room was huge, clean and with old style forniture. The bathroom had a shower and a gorgeous tub! From our balcony we could see cows and deers in the hotel's private park! You can relax in the rooms downstair where you can sit on the armchair near the fireplace reading books about Ireland history (fantastic!). We booked using the the hotel website and we took advantage of a special offer, so we paid € 360 for 2 nights (b&b in double room) + 1 dinner for two people in the hotel restaurant (which I found excellent).
There are a lot of special offers on the hotel website, I reccomend to have a look, so you can save money. The staff was extremely helpful and polite. Our stay in this hotel was excellent, everything was perfect!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Londoner16
Reviewed 9 July 2009

Tghis is in every way a wonderful hotel. We can honestly say it is probably the best hotel we have stayed in - and we have sampled some truly great hotels (like the George V in Paris and Raffles in Singapore), some of which were smarter than the Cahernane but none more pleasant to say in. The bedrooms are comfortable and well-appointed, the public rooms (in what is a 19th century country house) are elegant and comfortable, cooking for breakfast (included in the room rate) and dinner are excellent, the grounds are attractive and the location - in terms of both appearance and its convenience for major visitor attractions such as Killarney, the Killarney Lakes and the Ring of Kerry - are superb. But most impressive was the service which was friendly, helpful, and above all flexible (we are a family with 16-month-old twins, and consequently special requirements such as cots, high chairs at breakfast, and room service for dinner every night - the staff accommodated all this with minimum fuss and maximum ease for ourselves).

This is not a cheap hotel, but when we paid the final bill we felt it was pretty reasonable for what we got.

(If we have a single constructive criticism it is that when room service is delivered all courses should come at the same time. It is silly to bring them at different times, causing the guests' mealtime privacy to be interrupted.)

Overall, a superb experience. The Cahernane is a truly wonderful hotel. We cannot recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Chicago
Reviewed 5 July 2009

My teenagers and I traveled with Ireland Chauffeur Travel ("CFT") throughout Ireland and lodged at Cahernane House ("CH")--both were excellent. Our personal CFT guide was well versed on Ireland's history and sites and was flexible adjusting the itinerary to our preferences--it was also the least expensive of the personal tour quotes received. Lodging included Ashford Castle, which my college/teenagers liked the best, but I preferred CH. CH is recessed on a wooded lot and has an elegant but warm character. Our room was spacious and L-shaped (including a sitting area/fireplace) with long windows providing panoramic, pastoral views of the wildlife that roamed beyond the fenced area.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Chippenham Wiltshire UK
Reviewed 27 June 2009

From the second we arrived till the moment of our departure we felt that we were somewhere special. The Cahanane House Hotel is a splendid older building which had been built to impress.It was located on the edge of Killarney and on the borders of the Killarney National Park. It waswell away from the main road and down a long tree lined drive where we discovered this gem of a place to stay.
The Staff at all levels went out of their way to please us and the food and wines on offer in the restaurant were of the most excellent standard.
We had one tiny complaint only, and that was it would have been nice to have breakfast cooked to order as the full Irish was mostly cold or luke warm and the bacon tough through standing for so long. We stayed for three days and this situation never changed. There was however an excellent choice of Contintal alternatives

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
West Waterford
Reviewed 24 March 2009

I spent an average long Weekend here from Friday to Tuesday. I found the Staff very friendly and unobtrusive but found niggly yet easily fixable faults which spoilt my stay. The Hotel itself is in a lovely setting down a Private driveway, the Gardens, what there are off them are plain and could with some attendance and Imagination. The King Sized Bed (Joined together Beds!) with Down Duvet was 'sweaty' duty to a plastic bed cover under the sheets not allowing the Bed to breathe properly, the Mineral Water was not replaced daily nor were the complimentary Biscuits. It is Room Service only and expensive at that. To top it all the Heating failed but we were not informed of this so the Room got a little chilly one Night. Breakfast is just average at best. On the positive side it is close enough to Killarney for a brisk walk, but is at least 15 Minutes to the Town not 10 as the Brochure states. I believe that (At normal non - discounted rate) It is overpriced, at these prices you would be better to go Self-Catering If staying for a week as It would work out way cheaper. My Weekend was spoilt by the usual Drunken Idiots going to Bed at 4.15AM on Friday night (I had to complain to the Night Manager) and the last Night (Monday) at 2.15AM. It seems It does not matter what you pay, Alcohol will always spoil what was supposed to be a quiet Weekend but I cannot blame the Hotel for this just plain Irish Bad Manners. (And some Rooms have Spa Baths which are noisy when you are not using yours!!)

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple