“A lot more than I expected...”

International Hotel Killarney
Ranked #6 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Dublin, Ireland
“A lot more than I expected...”
Reviewed 13 April 2011

We stayed at the International over the weekend and I have to say that it was one of my most enjoyable weekend breaks in Ireland in a while...the hotel has a great location in the town with shopping, restaurants and pubs just 2 mins walk....ideal. Everything about the hotel, the bar, the restaurant and the staff was perfect, but it is the rooms that most impressed us...big thick memory foam mattresses.. duvets....jacuzzi bath....lots of little things I didn’t expect but that made the stay all the more enjoyable. I also liked the fact that the hotel has lovely character...not just big and modern like others. We arrived by train so the hotel was only a short walk away. We would definitly recommend this hotel to anyone. Only small compliant: no swimming pool but they had a gym and sauna and some sort of golf assimilator we did not use.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
amcollins, Front Office Manager at International Hotel Killarney, responded to this review, 14 April 2011
Dear Mr Walsh,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are delighted you had such an enjoyable stay and hope to see you back again in the not-too-distant future.
Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 7 April 2011

This was the last hotel that I booked for our trip, but it was for our first night in Ireland. I was looking for a convenient location with 2 affordable single rooms more than a great hotel. Luckily, I got both.

When we walked in the front door, the interior of the lobby was what I envisioned a hotel in Ireland would look like. It was not big, but it had a certain character, sort of a flashback to hotels of the first half of the 20th century. However, as I walked up the stairs and down the hall, I assumed my single room might be also out of time. I was very wrong. It was a very modern room, with a large, comfortable bed, a great view of the street with the mountains in the distance, a flat screen TV and a great bathroom. I will say that it set a standard that no other hotel matched on the trip.

The hotel is conveniently located on the edge of the city center. After dinner and a couple of pints at some nearby pubs, I got a very quiet night of sleep. The next morning, we were able to walk downstairs and enjoy a very good breakfast and then pick up our rental car from the Budget office (ok, it is very small, more like the Budget closet) that is next to the hotel entrance. From the hotel, it was very easy to get on the road to our next stop in Dingle. I would highly recommend this hotel and I will not hestitate to stay here again when I return to the area.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
amcollins, Front Office Manager at International Hotel Killarney, responded to this review, 13 April 2011
Dear Congress,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel on Trip Advisor,
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and hopefully we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back for a longer visit at another time.
Reviewed 1 April 2011

I stayed one night in this hotel and i wish it had been longer. The room was small but maximized the space available. It was very clean and cozy. The staff was very nice and accomodating. Check in and check out was very simple. The bed was incredibly comfortable. It was a welcome sight after 20 consecutive hours of travel. Only negatives: the toilet in my room was unusually close to the wall, which certain things difficult. Carrying luggage through the narrow hallways was a pain. There were steps and doors in the hall that made it a pain.

• Stayed March 2011
Dear Scottydawg66

Thank you for your kind comments on Trip Advisor. We are delighted you enjoyed your short stay with us.

The International Hotel is over 100 years old and while it has been completely refurbished many times, some of the old features remain which we feel adds character to the property. Also, the doors in the corridors are fire doors which are compulsory in Ireland.

Hopefully we wil have the opportunity to welcome you back at another time and thank you again for taking the time to review us.
Ireland
Reviewed 1 April 2011

This is a great hotel. Located right in the middle of Killarney. I would thoroughly recommend it to anybodt travelling to Killarney for business or pleasure. Although my visit was mainly leisure I had to do some work too but the facilities available made this whole process painless. High speed broadband meant my work was just as accessible to me as if I had been in the office. Furthermore, the food at the hotel was phenomenal. Both breakfast and dinner.

Dear Ogie 16,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and that you managed to get some work done too!

We have just recently installed High Speed Broadband to all areas of the hotel and it is good to get feedback on it.

We hope to see you back again in the not too distant future.

Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed 22 March 2011

Spent two nights on a hen weekend in this hotel. Ideal location walking distance to all pubs and restaurants. Staff very helpful and friendly especially the night porter. A group of twenty one of us ate in the hotel food was lovely, service great again great value for money. Our rooms were recently renovated. One disadvantage is no hotel car park and no discount when parking in public car park.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Gemma2312,

Thank you for your lovely comments on our hotel, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay and our new rooms .

Regarding the parking, due to our extremely central location, we don't have private parking but there are 3 car parks within a 3-4 minute walk which are very reasonably priced and secure.

We hope you all enjoy the Wedding and hope to see you back to the International again,

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 21 March 2011

hi myself husband 5 yr old daughter and 3 month old son are just back from lovely kerry.
we stayed at the international hotel and had a wonderful time.we booked in on the 18th march for 3 nights.when we got there their were no standard rooms available so they upgraded us to the exceitive room for the same price!breakfast was great every morning and frank there lovely porter even brougt mine up to the room as i was busy feeding baby.the only little problem we had was when we had dinner in the restraunt it was a little dear and the portions were a bit to small for my hubby.otherwise an excellent hotel right in the heart of killarney!!also no gym or pool.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
amcollins, Front Office Manager at International Hotel Killarney, responded to this review, 22 March 2011
Dear Ms Guerin,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you back again soon.
I have passed on your comments to Frank and all the staff.
By the way, just for your next trip if you are feeling energetic, we do have a gym here!
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 21 March 2011

I stayed in the International Hotel, Killarney for a 2 night weekend break with my husband and it was fantastic....relaxing, comfortable, friendly and above all else great value for money.
The hotel is central to everything and great shopping nearby.
We were met with a friendly smile, all staff were soo friendly it really made us feel welcome. The bar is a great place to have a drink and unwind and the staff are very friendly and efficient. Our room was on the 1st floor and facing out onto the road were you could see the jaunting cars all lined up, the room was spotless and everything was fresh and modern, a really beautiful room with a great ambience and the plate of chocolate dipped marshmallows awaiting us on arrival was a real treat we did not expect. We both had dinner on the Saturday night in the hotel restaurant and the service and food was exceptional, we could not fault a thing.
Overall I would recommend this hotel to all for the friendly staff , relaxing atmosphere and value for money.

Dear Margaret,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us on Trip Advisor.
We were delighted to have you stay with us again last weekend and hopefully we will see you a few more times this year!
Best regards