“Great Family Houses”

Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes
Ranked #29 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Great Houses attached to this hotel with all the amenities of hotel offered. Very well equipped with plenty of cutlery and kitchen ware. Lovely location 2km from Killarney. Lovely woodland walks.Highly recommended.
Whole house in excellent condition with great light. 2 triple bedrooms 2 bathrooms camp bed if required
TV set very old with poor reception is the only complaint we had.
Highly recommend

Room Tip: All houses very quiet. We had no problems
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank mary w
castlerosse, Guest Relations Manager at Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write your kind review of the Castlerosse. I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your time here and found the Woodland Cottages catered for your needs. I am glad you enjoyed our lakeside location and took advantage of the many walks through the Killarney National Park. We look forward to welcome you back to the Castlerosse Hotel & Golf Resort again.

There are newer reviews for Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes

Reviewed 11 June 2012

I imagine this was once a grand and luxurious hotel set in such a beautiful location. It is set in the middle of a golf course. The restaurant is upstairs and overlooks greens, a lake and beautiful mountains.

The bedroom I stayed in was very basic. I missed not having a clock in the room. I had to keep checking my phone in case I missed breakfast which finishes at 10.30 on weekends. The shower in the bathroom had no temperature control, it was roasting in the morning and just about warm in the afternoon.

The food in the restaurant was okay. Breakfast was the usual fry, cereal, fruit, ham, cheese, bread rolls, natural yoghurt (I hate when they don't provide fruit flavored yoghurts), orange juice, grapefruit juice and tomato juice (No apple or cranberry). Tea/coffee and toast are brought to you when you are seated. One thing that really disgusted me about the breakfast was the butter. When people left after their breakfast their table was cleared off and the butter was taken in to the kitchen to be topped up. However there were no butter knives on the table so people used the knife they were eating with to pick up the butter. The kitchen may as well have been using a dirty knife off any table to top up the butter dish because every Tom, Dick and Harry had been sticking their dirty knife in it every time they buttered their toast. Needless to say I didn't use the butter. The same butters were on the table for dinner. When I arrived for my dinner there was a basket of bread on every table, occupied or not. There was a blue bottle on the window beside my table. I chose a salad first. It came within one minute of me placing my order. Everything was dry and the goats cheese was horrible. I ate the lettuce. Soup next-fine. Main course arrived with a thumb print in the mash potato. I pushed it to the side and tried to enjoy the rest. We got one small portion of veg. I assumed another was on the way but it never arrived. Desert came with a thumb print squashed down in the middle of the pipped cream. I sent it back-waitress said it's how the cream is pipped in the kitchen but she got me a new one anyway.

Went for a beautiful walk from the hotel to Killarney town. Saw a deer! It really is one of the most beautiful places in Ireland.

Drove to Dingle which is an hour away and again, absolutely beautiful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to reception. The hotel is very long and some rooms are quite far away. Parti...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
castlerosse, Guest Relations Manager at Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2012

Dear Guest,
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write your review of the Castlerosse Hotel. We are very privileged to be located in this stunning part of Killarney, and am glad to see you enjoyed our location.
Firstly may I apologise for the issues that occurred regarding your meal. I hope to ensure to you that this is not standard procedure and we pride ourselves on having a particularly good variety and standard of food in our bars and restaurants and that accommodating our guests is never an issue.
I am sorry you were disappointed with your room. We aim to ensure the Hotel and self catering accommodation is kept to a high and comfortable standard refurbishing all accommodation is ongoing.
Your comments have been noted and management informed of same. Again thank you for taking the time to write your review.
BrId O Sullivan.

Reviewed 9 June 2012

My Husband and I stayed here numerous times before we got married. We loved it so much that we got married in nearby St.Mary's Cathedral and we had our honeymoon in the Castlerosse. That was in 1998 and we always vowed that we would bring our son here too someday to experience such a great hotel and town. We have since done that and he loved it as much as us. The great thing about the Castlerosse hotel is the staff who are are always happy and helpful and cant do enough for you. The food is excellent and we love the swimming pool, golf course and scenery and walks. Thank you to the Castlerosse hotel and the staff who have helped make some very happy memories for us all and who ensure that we are always looking forward to coming back.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank feedbackrichie
castlerosse, Guest Relations Manager at Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write your kind review. I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay so much with us. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the hotel's facilities, staff and location. We endeavor to make each guests stay with us as pleasant and enjoyable as possible and look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Castlerosse again soon!

Reviewed 3 June 2012

We stayed at Castlerosse for a friends wedding and the wedding reception. The wedding service from the restaurant and bar was absolutely fantastic.

As the event was at Castlerosse, the location was absolutely perfect for us - although other visitors without an event nearby should consider the suitability of the location for their needs.

Castlerosse is around 2km from Killarney, the walking paths connecting the two are magnificent and, weather permitting (we were very fortunate), make for a stunning walk through the forest and alongside creeks - truly relaxing and perfectly suited for jogging too.

Our room was tired and felt very 1980's - timber veneer and decor has not been refreshed in some years - perhaps since new? There is a feel around Castlerosse is more suited to older travellers which was evident in the demographics as well as activities on offer. With ample walking tracks, on-site 9 hole golf course, several bar/dining areas it would be very well suited to those looking to stay at the resort and enjoy all the facilities vs. spending more time in Killarney itself.

The view from our room was magnificent, we had glimpses of the lake even though we were on the ground floor, and the stone mountains coupled with the green grass offered some amazing colours at sunset.

For us 30-something travellers, and return visit to Killarney would see us stay more central in Killarney itself. If you're a golfer, the location is right next to Killarney Golf & Fishing Club - Home of the Irish Open, the Killeen course is a must play if you're in Killarney. Enjoy

Room Tip: If you like a room with a view, choose a Lake View room in the summer months - very nice!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
castlerosse, Guest Relations Manager at Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the Castlerosse. I was very happy to see how much you and your party enjoyed the wedding you attended at the hotel. We feel privileged that the hotel is in such a beautiful location and are delighted that you took advantage of this by walking through the park and enjoyed the view from the hotel.
I am sorry you were disappointed with your room. We are very fortunate for our location, so near Killarney town, yet one feels like they are in the middle of the country. Each winter we perform maintenance and update areas of the hotel to maintain a high standard. Our staff return to us season after season which helps to maintain a high standard of service and quality for which we are known.
At the Castlerosse we aim to cater for all from family breaks to Golden breaks, Golf packages and the romantic getaway for couples.,
We value all comments received by our guests, and all are considered by management,

We would love to see you in the Castlerosse again soon,

Reviewed 2 June 2012

10 of us spent 4 nights B&B in this hotel recently.Our stay included 2 dinners which we felt was good value for money.The receptionist was extremely pleasant & efficient & the General Manager seemed forever present in the foyer to interact with the guests & offer his help in a variety of ways.Service in the bar was very good & atmosphere very welcoming.Taxi service to local courses was very efficient.Breakfast was very good and we dined overlooking their own 9 hole course, lake & mountains.Perfect way to start the day.
A very good accomodation location if u wish to play the 2 courses in the Killarney Fishing & Golf resort.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank bkcdublin

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time out to write your kind review of the Castlerosse. I was delighted to see both you and your golfing group enjoyed your stay here with us.
We are lucky to have such a fabulous location and delighted that you took full advantage of this and look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Kind Regards

Reviewed 30 May 2012

Our first time staying in the Castlerosse. We were a little disappointed that our room was at the far end of hotel and did not have a view. It was very clean and had enough towels and bed very comfortable.. We were thrilled with our welcome greeting from a very pleasant recepionist.
The food rated at least four star. Such a comprehensive dinner menu. Excellent service and dining room staff so pleasant. The view from it is just magic. A nice touch was the welcome drink before dinner on our first evening. We centainly will use the hotel again.

Room Tip: request a room with a view
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank mary h

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments, we are glad that you enjoyed your time at the Castlerosse Hotel. we are very privileged to be located in this stunning part of Killarney, and strive to provide a high level of service to ensure that our guests have the most enjoyable stay with us as possible.

We look forward to welcoming you and yours back to stay with us again very soon,

Reviewed 29 May 2012

I recently got married in Killarney and my now husband and I had our wedding reception in the Castlerosse Hotel. We cannot compliant this place enough! We live in Kildare and had to do all our organizing over the phone and email. This was absolutely no problem for the staff and the catered to our every need. The views were stunning from both the room where the drinks reception was held and from the actual venue for the reception. The staff were very polite, the food was of superb standard and the managers couldn't do enough to carter to both us and our guests. We had a fantastic stay all weekend. The rooms we're clean and of good standard. We highly recommend this place if your considering having your wedding in Killarney or just to have a nice and relaxing stay for the weekend.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Zita M

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your lovely review of the Castlerosse Hotel.

Congratulations on your recent marriage! I am delighted that you enjoyed your wedding day and hope your honeymoon went just as well!

It was great to read what a lovely time your both you and your guests had during their stay here!

The staff and management are very attentive and do everything they can to make sure a bride and grooms special day goes smoothly, I am delighted that your day went as well as you hoped it would and we look forward to seeing you in the Castlerosse again very soon!