“very disappointing”

Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes
Ranked #30 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We booked a family room in this hotel and were given a room on the corridor opposite reception the room was dark, very small for a family of four and smelled damp. When we complained to a very disgruntled receptionist we were after much discussion given another room near the leisure centre. This room was brighter and smelled ok but for a family room was still very small. We spoke to the manager and were eventually given a room 255.
This room was slightly bigger and on the ground floor. However the carpet was frayed so badly it was an inch away from the wall, and the veneer on the bedside lockers was held on with cello tape of all things, We hadn't the energy to complain any further and had been told that there were no other rooms available even though we were willing to pay to upgrade. The room was clean though and the beds were comfortable so we decided to put our first few hours here behind us and enjoy the trip.

We had a lovely evening in Killarney and we enjoyed the situation of the hotel and the views. However the next morning we were all awakened at 6am by the movements of the residents in the room over ours, There is no insulation in the ceiling and we were listening to very loud creaking floors and toilet noises to the extent that the people could have been in our room. We didn't complain that morning, however when the next morning it same scenario was repeated we did complain to the manager who explained that people on a bus tour had been in the room above us and has an early start to their days but had left the hotel and the room was vacant above us on our final night.

We did get some money deducted from our bill on check our but it was too little to0 late for us at that point. We rarely have had to give bad reviews but in this case it is justified, The grounds of the hotel and the views are fabulous the situation of the hotel is perfect with cycle paths and walking routes to Killarney national park easily accessible. The facilities for children are good and the food wasn't bad but the accommodation that we experienced is below par in this day and age and needs renovating. The cottages and lodges however looked very nice and I would have no hesitation in recommending them but the hotel accommodation is poor at best,

2  Thank DeeMeeCork
BridOS, Guest Relations Manager at Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the Castlerosse Hotel. I was sorry to read your review and your disappointment with your stay here. I have raised all issues you have brought to our attention with members of senior management. My appologies that the hotel accommodation was not to the standard you expected. I do hope this did not upset your stay in Killarney too much.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

My family and I stayed here this august I booked our family room and double room for grandparents and also later booked another two rooms for more famil members. We were delighted with the size of our family room but that joy soon left when the big long mirror fell on top of our 17 month old little girl and left bump on her head! Our 1st night was ruined. We told the manager straight away and he removed mirror all together. Out of courtesy I thaught they would have not charged us for this night but the manager made me feel silly even suggesting this. He said the most important thing is your daughter is ok! Well of course it was but that mirror should have been attached both ends instead it was loosely attached only at the top! For any families please be aware of this we were very lucky the glass didnt break and cut her. Did not like his approach and also the receptionists were lacking any niceness she actually was over charging us 100 euro and we had to point her mistake out quiet a bit before she realised. Apart from this horrible incident we loved the food and surrounding area its just a pity this matter wasnt dealt with better.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the Castlerosse Hotel.
I apologise for the incident that took place with your daughter. I have raised all comments you have made with senior management. I hope that this did not upset the remainder of your holiday.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

We stayed in a woodland cottage ,they are very spacious and clean.This was our second year staying in this hotel.The children are entertained with the castle rangers. Hope to be back next year.Only wish some of the cottages were pet friendly.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
BridOS, Guest Relations Manager at Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank your for taking the time to write your kind review of the Castlerosse Hotel and Holiday Homes.
I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay here with us and that the children enjoyed the Castle Rangers Kids Camp and its activities. We look forward to welcoming you back the Castlerosse again in the future.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

I stayed here with family for the third summer this year and had an excellent time! Have to say receptionist's are'nt the nicest, but do give good information when they're bothered to get to you! We stayed in a woodland cottage, but last year stayed in a golf lodge which are nicer, but cottage's still delightful. Ate in town at four star pizza on our first night, which I recomend highly! Golf course is great, with lovely views! Also did one hour riding around the national park, where you can book at hotel or riding stable's which is less than a minute down the road. It's a lovely way to see the view and be sure to bring your camera in your pocket if going because you can get lovely pictures. Ate in the restaurant one night and food was lovely, atmosphere was lovely, but service was terrible! Maybe we were unlucky to get the waiter we did as he basicly ignored us right after we had our food and never took our drink order! When we eventually got a different waiter's attention, we asked could we get desert and for them to clear the table as plates had been sitting there for nearly 10 minutes we were told by him that another waiter was serving us not him. But eventually he gave in and cleared our table after 20 minutes waiting. I was very disappointed by the service. I love this hotel, but the waiter's really need to be more kind and aware in the restaurant. Ate in the bar the next day and food was lovely, atmosphere was lovely and service was great! it really does make a difference when the service is good, we were almost shocked when she asked was everything ok at our table after the service last night! Swimming pool is nice too. All in all had an excellent holiday and will definitely be back!

Room Tip: I recommend that you eat in bar as food is just as nice and service is a lot better!

Dear Guest,

Thank your for taking the time to write your review of the Castlerosse Hotel and Holiday Homes.
I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay here with us. I have raised all comments which you made with management. We look forward to welcoming you back the Castlerosse again in the future.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

After looking at so many good reviews I was really looking forward to our stay at this wonderful!! Hotel. We very so disappointed with the room we received, it was on the ground floor dark and dreary just a double so made it smaller looking only view was of the wall of the swimming pool. I asked for an upgrade but was told there was no other rooms available. This room was very basic did not have a simple thing as an Iron I asked at reception during a quiet time and told I would get one no such luck. To make matters worse as we were on the ground floor near reception meant we got little or no sleep as Children were running up and down the hall all hours . People were returning to their rooms also, so noisy and doors banging into the early hours. So if its a rest your looking for get a room as far away from reception as you can. If I hadn't paid months before I would have left without a doubt. and stayed somewhere else.

Room Tip: stay far away from rooms near reception the noise is terrible.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank lilygCork
BridOS, Guest Relations Manager at Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the Castlerosse Hotel.
I have forwarded all comments raised by you with senior management. I was sorry we were unable to change your room during the time of your stay but as the hotel was fully booked at this time we were unable to upgrade you to a Lakeview room as you requested. I am sorry you did not receive the iron when you requested it as this should have been provided immediately, I wish to assure you this is not standard procedure in the hotel. I do hope this did not upset your stay in Killarney.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

Just returned from once again a very relaxing stay with my wife and fourteen year son at the Castlerosse, we spent 3 nights on a B&B & Dinner apckage which was excellent value. Room was with the lake view which provided us with a lovely view each morning. The staff in this hotel are so friendly and nothing is too much to ask for. On the food all three of us are now on diets as the selection for both breakfast and dinner was excellent leaving no room for lunch. The only small problem which seems to happen in most hotels is that the room was set up for 2 and not 3 so we had to ask for extra towels, cup saucer and tea/coffee not a problem but a way round this would be better communication between reservations and house keeping, once we asked they were immediately delivered. Once again congratulations we hope to be back very soon.

Room Tip: Ask for the lake view - they are located the furtherest from reeption but worth the walk for the vie...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
castlerosse, Guest Relations Manager at Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your kind review of the Castlerosse Hotel. I was glad to see that you and your family enjoyed your stay here with us. I apologise that you had to request extra items for your room. I have passed along all comments your raised above. We look forward welcoming you all back again in the very near future.

Reviewed 17 August 2013

This hotel is very well-appointed and is a great stay, with the only exception being a lack of air-conditioning in the rooms. It is all one level, so be prepared to walk great distances to your room if you're staying at one of the far ends. The hotel restaurant is beautiful, with great views and a sophisticated menu. The bar is very reasonably priced, prompting most of us to stay at the hotel for evening entertainment rather than venturing into town. There was live music at the bar and it was, as usual for pubs in Ireland, an appropriate volume level where people could still have civilized conversations while enjoying the music.

The rooms are very nice, with very comfortable beds and large bathrooms with attractive tilework, fixtures, and lighting. My only complaint is the lack of air-conditioning in the rooms, which meant leaving the window open and allowing the bugs in.

Room Tip: Get a room which is somewhat closer to the reception area. It is not terribly fun to go staggering b...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the Castlerosse Hotel. I was glad to see that you enjoyed your vacation and liked our lakeside location.
I have passed along all comments raised by you in your review to management.
I apologise that you found the lack of air conditioning in the rooms to be a problem for you as we endeavor to make everything as comfortable and enjoyable as possible for guests while maintaining a high standard and giving good value for money.
Should you be visiting Killarney again in the future we would be delighted to welcome you back to the Castlerosse Hotel.