“Great Location”

Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes
Ranked #30 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We were family of 4 and stayed in the Woodland Cottages. Absolutely wonderful, though the garden furnture needed maintence and a lick of paint.
Its a great location with a wonderful either to Fossa or into Killarney.

Disappointed in food though

Room Tip: Ask for a cottage or lodge overlooking lake. Cottages on left of drive up to hotel have very safe en...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
MarkBowe, Guest Relations Manager at Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Mary,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us. We were delighted to welcome you back to the Castlerosse again. Once we have a break in the weather, I will look into getting a “lick of paint” for the garden furniture!

Looking forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Efficient and friendly staff....ground floor rooms facing the lakes were superb ... very clean and comfortable... beautiful location with fascinating walking trails on the grounds....Would highly recommend and will definitely return...

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vicky K

Vicky,

Thank you taking time to review your stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and the view from your room. With some many wonderful walks available on our doorstep, I am glad you got out and enjoyed them. I will also pass on your kind words to the team.

Looking forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Ireland is an expensive country so it is hard to find good deals.

Of the five hotels we stayed in in Dublin, Galway, and Killarney, this hotel was by far the best value.

The rooms were clean, there was internet (though it was just OK), it was close to town and close to the national park. It had a golf course, swimming pool, and fitness center as well.

The staff was incredibly kind and helped us find a good place to eat in town. We didn't drink so we didn't need a ride to town, but I saw plenty of folks easily catch rides to and from town.

If you are looking for a good hotel at a fair price in Killarney, Castlerosse is a great choice.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Wesley,

Thank you taking time to review your stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found that we offer real value for money. I will pass on your kind words to the team.

On reading your other reviews, I was happy to see you climbed Torc Mountain it is well worth the effort!

I hope to welcome you back to the Castlerosse and Killarney in the future.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

lovely views of the lakes from the dinning room here but not from most of the bedrooms which I think is a major design flaw.
staff are completely formal. a smile would go so far for customers.
hotels in kilarney all suffer from this idea they are doing the customer a favour and not the other way round. this hotel staff are the same. why can the people on reception just not smile
bed rooms are 3 star type, not large.
food is good but not excellent.
bar is good with music of a cheap variety every night.
a little away from kilarney town, sign outside says 2 km on path, did not try it.
probs I had were , hair on butter dish , black hair , not mine I am compleaty grey..
having to ask for shower gel on 2 night,
a plaster on bathroom floor from I would say a finger, not mine.
room not cleaned proberly for 2 night.
over all , better than staying in some hotels in the town which can be crazy some nights.
yes I would go back

Room Tip: try if possible to get some view from your bed room even like some who have a entrance to the car pa...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
MarkBowe, Guest Relations Manager at Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Watchful Dubliner,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay on tripadvisor. I am glad you enjoyed the view from our Restaurant.
I am disappointed to read that you felt that the staff were “completely formal”, I hope that this once a once of as I get some many complements from guests thanking the team. I have spoken to the relevant departments regarding you’re the other incidents that occurred.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Killarney and the Castlerosse on your next visit.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We spent a week self catering in the golf lodge apartments over the Easter break. The lodge was very spacious, with a large open plan dining/living room, full kitchen and downstairs bathroom with toilet and shower. Upstairs were 2 large ensuite bedrooms. The only thing that irritated me was the fans in the bathrooms were very noisy and came on automatically when you switched on the lights and also a pump came on when you used the taps in the sink. But it was minor and wouldn't put me off staying again. We ate in the hotel about 4 times in the week, the food in the bar was standard bar food and we enjoyed it. The first night, one of our childrens meals didn't arrive until after everyone had finished their meals which was a annoying. There was music most nights during the Easter week, the kids could use the childrens club and a movie night until 11pm. The location was excellent and we were very lucky with the weather during our stay and could walk into the National Park every day and really enjoy the fabulous walks and scenery of Killarney. We would return again as it is family friendly, loads of space, nice location. We had a great week.

Room Tip: The golf lodges facing the golf course have an amazing view. We didn't get to stay in one of th...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Happy Mom Ireland,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and got to take advantage of all the facilities, it sounds like it was an action packed week! I will look into why the fans are so noisy in the Bathrooms and hopefully find a solution.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Castlerosse again in the future.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Firstly let me say that this hotel is in a fantastic location and has a nice playground for children outside. However this is the worst hotel by a mile that I have ever stayed in. I felt completely ripped off that I ever paid for the experience. It is pitched as a family hotel but the staff in the bar were furious that children were running around - I even saw one scolding someone elses child when the parents were out of sight. Guess what - kids run around - its what they do! Despite the tense atmosphere in the bar we ordered food...it was nice..a good selection ...horribly and grossly overpriced! I never consider money when on holidays - I choose to just enjoy myself but I was eyeing the prices on the menu in disbelief. The rooms were FILTHY...I could see stains on the skirting boards that are there for years. I had to move the bed ..I was sorry I did for the dirt under it. I found hair clips from a previous guest under there (yiak).The TV had basic channels - but it did have CBeebies which was handy. The Lakeview room has a nice view of a slope of grass with a tiny spec of a lake and a mountain on the horizon. Its on the ground level and people were walking past the window looking and making noise on the gravel (creepy at night). Doors were banging all through the night so we got no sleep. The shower was one of those awful fixed overhead old showers (no hand held ) The WORST thing of all was in order to give the other guests a break from toddler screeching we had our breakfast in our room (€2 per person). It says its a continental breakfast - dont believe that it was just cornflakes and cheap bread - nothing home made. The toast was 100% Soft and untoasted - it was disgusting. It made me wonder - if they dare to serve this to people what standards of hygiene do they have in the kitchen? Never again will I stay there. Times are tough enough in Ireland without being ripped off when you try to take a break. The receptionist on checkout didnt ask us if everything was ok and to our satisfaction. Just as well for her...

Room Tip: Lakeview rooms are near the swimming pool
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank RoxxTBR
MarkBowe, Guest Relations Manager at Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear RoxxTBR,

I am disappointed to read your review regarding your recent stay. I am sorry that we did not reach and exceed your expectations. At the Castlerosse we feel that we are family focused hotel which offers a quality service and value for money.
You highlighted a few problems during your stay, I do apologise for these issues and I will speak to the relevant departments regarding them.
Regarding children running in the bar I feel that it is our duty to provide a safe environment for all, we do offer the “Castle Rangers” kids club for kids to play and have fun. We do not get many complaints regarding the pricing of bar food especially when an 8oz Irish Beef Burger with Fries & Side Salad is only €10.50. We offer 15 Television Channels, I am glad you even found the Children’s Channel for your child, it is good to see you also got to use the playground. Our breakfast room service menu offers a limited choice of juice, cereal, toast, homemade brown bread etc., but we offer the full complement from our Grosvenor Restaurant where our guests can take in the panoramic views of Lough Leane and the Mountains.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Perfect location, lovely walking paths, awesome view from the restaurant. We stayed in the main hotel, quite and clean rooms. The full breakfast was plentiful and good. There was a wedding party and a couple of confirmations going on, and while I understand kids will be kids I wouldn't have thought the pub area would have been the place for them to run around like hyenas! Both nights of our stay, parents of these large parties just sat, chatted and drank while the kids did whatever they wanted, running in to other guest and wait staff. The exercise room was very well equipped too.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Bcsrule,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed the hotel, the view and our fantastic location. My apologies regarding the children in the bar, we do inform families on arrival of the “Castle Rangers” kids club but obviously they all did not opt to go to.

I hope that this would not deter you from returning to the Castlerosse again.