“Hotel Seems Rather Old”

Ranked #30 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Mississippi
“Hotel Seems Rather Old”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We stayed at the hotel two nights on our tour of Ireland. I thought the hotel seemed rather old and possibly in need of some renovation. Our room was on a detour off a seemingly never-ending hall. As it turned out, one of our suitcases got sent to the wrong room, and the hotel employee I got to retrieve it seemed awfully put-upon and grouchy. We had a dinner and a couple of breakfasts at Castlerosse Hotel, which has a 9-hole golf course on the property, and the view out the dining room windows is pretty wonderful. The food was decent.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank psychprofessor
MarkBowe, Guest Relations Manager at Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Psychprofessor,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us. My apologies in the “mix up” with receiving you luggage from your group. We are delighted that you enjoyed the view. It is a pity you did not have time to relax and enjoy a few holes of golf!

Mark Bowe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Czech first
Reviewed 26 June 2014

The two ladies when I checked in were very nice. The lady who checked me out was barely paying attention to me even though I was the only customer. She walked away and just left me standing there. She came back and I asked if I needed to do anything else she said no. Didn't take my card or anything. I gave my card upon checking in so I thought maybe they saved the information. I got a call 7 hours later saying I didn't check out or pay. I told the lady I went to the counter to check out she said no I hadnt. I'm sorry I did but your employee was not paying attention to me.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Sara,
Thank you for taking time to leave a review on Trip Advisor. My apologies for the standard of service you received on check out. I have spoken to the relevant person and I trust it was an isolated incident and hope it would not deter you from returning to the Castlerosse in the future.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

My family (2 adults and 2 kids under the age of 3) stayed at Castlerosse self catering accommodation last week and had an excellent time with lots to do and see. The swimming pool is ideal for young kids. There's also an adult swim lane so it's not completely taken over by younger guests. There's a playground onsite which is great for kids to burn off energy. We also found a lovely public playgound a short cycletrip from the hotel close to Killarney town. We hired bikes from the leisure center which is really handy when one has young kids - no need for treking into the town to collect/ return the bikes etc. We had a super time cycing the beautiful tracks around the hotel, through the golf course, on to Rosse Castle and around the National park . We were lucky the weather was beautiful, but even if it hadn't been - we still would have had a lovely time I feel with cycling, walking and enjoying the amazing views.
The self catering accommodation is spacious and adequate.
There was traditional music/entertainment in the hotel bar every night. The restaurant was nice but I would probably dine elsewhere if one wanted a proper restaurant meal instead of dining in a hotel. In general I would have no hestiation in recommending Castlerosse and I'm sure we will revisit again in future.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Clare B
MarkBowe, Guest Relations Manager at Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Claire,

Wow, what an action packed stay! We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and crammed so much in.
We certainly did have a great spell of weather in Killarney which makes the area even more spectacular. With the area being so safe for the kids it is wonderful you availed of all the on-site facilities as well as the adjoining national park.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Castlerosse.

Summit, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We stayed 3 nights at Castleross Hotel in one of their Woodland "Houses". It was a full apartment in a row with several others. It was very spacious and could have held well more than our 3 people. The full kitchen has only a very small counter height refrigerator, so if you are planning to cook, it could be a problem. Also, the combination washer/dryer really does not dry. So we had to send out our laundry on premises which only cost 7.5 euros, but was annoying.

The bathrooms were a little run-down and had virtually no counter space; the bedrooms and living rooms were lovely.

The internet did not work in the house and we could only get wi-fi in the lobby which was annoying.

The pub had good drinks; the breakfast was plentiful but not special. The dinner in the restaurant was like wedding food. Nothing special, except the view is gorgeous.

There is a lovely walk to Ross Castle that starts at the hotel. I'd recommend it. It was a bit of a pain to have to get in to town; we ended up using a taxi most times with was a little pricey.

Overall, it would probably be best for a family with young kids or two couples.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
MarkBowe, Guest Relations Manager at Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Dear Morahm,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the Castlerosse and hopefully your time in Ireland. The walks in the area are fantastic, I am delighted you got to enjoy some of them.

We would love to welcome you back to Killarney and the Castlerosse in the future.

Ireland
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

We rented a house at The Castlerosse in May. This was our first family holiday with 4month old twins. The hoyse was faultless. We found it not only very well furnished but warm safe and very well equipped. Two spotless cots, plenty of towels, the things that really matter to mums. We ate in the hotel each evening in either the restaurant or bar. The food was excellent and the service 100%. The pool was wonderful and the staff were really great. The hotels location is its biggest draw, but we found the lovely team and superb service equally as impressive. Perfect for families. We'll be back to try the kids clyb and playground again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Daisy,

Thank you for a wonderful review. I am delighted that we could be part of you first “family” holiday, and hope you got some time to relax and unwind! I will pass on your kind words to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back, and when the twins are a bit older they can join the Castle-Rangers Kids Camp!

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Looking through previous reviews on this hotel,some few yet old I can say nothing's changed, stayed last summer one night and couldn't wait to leave,we had booked a room with lake view for a little extra money and were looking forward to a relaxing nigh away, on arrival it was disappointing from the start, the receptionist looked up said "the name?"sign here,without a smile, or a welcome ,gave us our keys On entering room the only view was of golf and very very slight view of what was part of lake overshadowed by large tree you could just about make it out in distance,when I phoned reception and said we had requested a lake view, she informed me in a sarcastic tone "that is a lake view'but if you want another come up to reception I'll change rooms,this we did and were equally dissapointed as it was much the same ,but we did not argue the toss, many rooms did have lovely views but ours certainly should not have been sold as such, the room itself was dull and quite grubby,we decided to go to the leasure centre and after use realised our swim gear was totally faded due to chlorine content in water,went to bar for light snacks and waited ages for service as understaffed but girl was pleasant when we eventually got served, food was just about adequate,breakfast the same,On checkout receptionist unfriendly and rather impolite, we go on lots of wkend breaks but I would never again return there or recommend it to anyone

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank ann c
Dear Ann,

Your review is from your stay 9 months ago, I feel so much has changed since then. I apologise if the greeting you received was unwelcoming as we do receive so many positive comments from guests regarding our team. We have also recently refurbished some rooms with more planned.

gilbert
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Hotel was beautiful. and the staff was amazing!
The food in the pub was delicious and served pretty late which was awesome.

Maybe meant for an older crowd though, we were definitly the youngest people there.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Tristan,

Thank you for your kind review, I will pass your kind words on to the team.

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to Killarney and the Castlerosse in the future.