“Older Hotel in a Great Location”

Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes
Ranked #31 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
“Older Hotel in a Great Location”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My husband and I spent two nights here in June. Although the hotel is a bit old and tired looking, our room was still spacious and clean. We had a marvelous view from our window overlooking the golf course and the mountains in the distance. The location of the hotel is great, as there is a walkway into town and plenty of nearby walking trails. The close location to town makes it quite convenient to walking and not having to drive the car. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed the walking trails that run through the hotel property. Although we did not have time, thre were also bicycles for rent at the hotel. KKillarney is an easy town to navigate, and there are lots of activities nearby. Lovely stay in this hotel in this wonderful town. One of our favorite places on our Ireland trip.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gabby63
MarkBowe, Guest Relations Manager at Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Gabby,
Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us. We are delighted that you stayed with us on you trip to Ireland and got to enjoy the wonderful views and setting.

We would love to welcome you back to the Castlerosse on your next visit to Ireland.

Mark Bowe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Czech first
Western Ireland, Ireland
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This was my third time staying at the Castlerosse with family. We stayed on a self catering basis in a Golf lodge for a week long at the end of June. The house was clean and the beds are comftorable, but at night was a bit noisy as we have noisy neighbours, but other than that the houses are connected causing a little bit of noise it was fine. We had no hot water for showers on the first two days, but once we called reception they were very helpful and sent someone over to fix the problem. The setting of the hotel is wonderful. It's in an amazing location. It's about a 15 minute walk to Killarney town along a safe path through the national park. They're are a few paths leading through the national park starting directly on the hotel grounds. The golf course is stunning and has amazing views. The hotel offers WiFi in the lobby and public areas, but it is very slow and doesn't work sometimes, but you can use their computer for E1 for 10 minutes.This year we decided not to eat at the hotel restaurant as it's quite dear, but ate at the bar a couple of nights which was lovely. There is so much to do in Killarney and the Castlerosse is a great base for a great holiday. There are so many sightseeing tours from the ring of kerry, muckross house to torc waterfall. The reception are very helpful in organising tours and recommending restaurants etc. in town. We hired bikes which you can keep overnight and drop back in the morning for a great price. As an experienced rider I also went trekking through the national park on horseback with a guide, which is lovely & they bring along beginners too. Must say 'Four Star Pizza' in town is an amazing fast food restaurant when your hungry on a day out in Killarney and want something cheap, but filling and delicious. The kids club wasn't open when we were there, but it was fine because there is lots for kids to do from the swimming pool, basketball courts to the playground. The Killarney outlet is a great place for bargains and tesco and Aldi are only up the road from it. On our last night at the Castlerosse, we had a bit of a problem...our rood started leaking. We called reception and they sent someone over to take a look. Apparently it can happen when too much water gets on the floor of the upstairs bathroom and seaps down or something? it wasn't really a problem though as it stopped after a half an hour. So all in all we had a fantastic holiday and would recommend this place to anyone. We will definitely be back next year!

Dear Daisy,
It was great to have you back to us again and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay. We are currently having issues regarding our WiFi, it is frustrating as we actually only made in accessible and free to all areas of the hotel in March! It is fantastic you enjoyed Muckross and Torc, with the amazing weather we are having it really is picturesque!
Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Castlerosse again.

Cork
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Our extended family stayed in 4 of the woodland cottages for a long weekend. The location is brilliant, you can cycle directly from the hotel into the national park. No need to go on road at all. The town playground, which is very good, is a 2km walk along a path separated from the road by trees. We brought our bikes & spent plenty of time cycling through the park. Some of our party hired bikes from the hotel. They really could do with giving all bikes a service. We had flat tyres, chains falling off, crooked saddles. Nothing very serious but when you're trying to move a large group this kind of thing really causes delays.
The hotel provided tennis rackets for use on their court for 10euro deposit which was good. Pool also was great for the kids.
We ate dinner in the bar on 2 evenings. It was fine, selection not great.
The houses were well equipped, with towels & linen provided. They could do with a little TLC but were clean & very spacious. Considering the price they could could afford to update (curtains falling, furniture bit shabby).
Because of the location & facilities I would really recommend it for families. Of the 20 of us who stayed everyone really enjoyed the stay & all plan to return.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Molcoll
Dear Molcoll,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us on trip advisor. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and got to enjoy the beauty of the National Park. I will follow up on the bike problems with the company who supply them to us as they are a local bike shop in town and a fully fitting is normal provided prior to rental.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Castlerosse again.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 27 June 2014

If you are looking for a rundown nursing home attached to a golf course, then this is the place for you.
Reception greeting was ordinary at best, rooms felt more like we were visiting an old relative in a nursing home than a hotel!! Breakfast was possibly the worst & unfriendliness breakfast we have ever experienced, so much that the second day we gave up the free breakfast & headed out.
The pool didn't even open until 8am. The hotel tends to cater to the needs of large groups/bus loads of tourists who obviously are used to this style of accommodation. Definitely not for us!

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs
Scoots,
We are a Resort hotel that are competitively priced and market towards Family, Leisure & Golden Breaks. We offer a range of activities for all ages on site and with a wonderful location it proves to be an ideal base while staying in Killarney. I am glad you enjoyed your experience in Ashford Castle and the falconry.

Regards,
Mississippi
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We stayed at the hotel two nights on our tour of Ireland. I thought the hotel seemed rather old and possibly in need of some renovation. Our room was on a detour off a seemingly never-ending hall. As it turned out, one of our suitcases got sent to the wrong room, and the hotel employee I got to retrieve it seemed awfully put-upon and grouchy. We had a dinner and a couple of breakfasts at Castlerosse Hotel, which has a 9-hole golf course on the property, and the view out the dining room windows is pretty wonderful. The food was decent.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank psychprofessor
MarkBowe, Guest Relations Manager at Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Psychprofessor,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us. My apologies in the “mix up” with receiving you luggage from your group. We are delighted that you enjoyed the view. It is a pity you did not have time to relax and enjoy a few holes of golf!

Reviewed 26 June 2014

The two ladies when I checked in were very nice. The lady who checked me out was barely paying attention to me even though I was the only customer. She walked away and just left me standing there. She came back and I asked if I needed to do anything else she said no. Didn't take my card or anything. I gave my card upon checking in so I thought maybe they saved the information. I got a call 7 hours later saying I didn't check out or pay. I told the lady I went to the counter to check out she said no I hadnt. I'm sorry I did but your employee was not paying attention to me.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Sara,
Thank you for taking time to leave a review on Trip Advisor. My apologies for the standard of service you received on check out. I have spoken to the relevant person and I trust it was an isolated incident and hope it would not deter you from returning to the Castlerosse in the future.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

My family (2 adults and 2 kids under the age of 3) stayed at Castlerosse self catering accommodation last week and had an excellent time with lots to do and see. The swimming pool is ideal for young kids. There's also an adult swim lane so it's not completely taken over by younger guests. There's a playground onsite which is great for kids to burn off energy. We also found a lovely public playgound a short cycletrip from the hotel close to Killarney town. We hired bikes from the leisure center which is really handy when one has young kids - no need for treking into the town to collect/ return the bikes etc. We had a super time cycing the beautiful tracks around the hotel, through the golf course, on to Rosse Castle and around the National park . We were lucky the weather was beautiful, but even if it hadn't been - we still would have had a lovely time I feel with cycling, walking and enjoying the amazing views.
The self catering accommodation is spacious and adequate.
There was traditional music/entertainment in the hotel bar every night. The restaurant was nice but I would probably dine elsewhere if one wanted a proper restaurant meal instead of dining in a hotel. In general I would have no hestiation in recommending Castlerosse and I'm sure we will revisit again in future.

2 Thank Clare B
MarkBowe, Guest Relations Manager at Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Claire,

Wow, what an action packed stay! We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and crammed so much in.
We certainly did have a great spell of weather in Killarney which makes the area even more spectacular. With the area being so safe for the kids it is wonderful you availed of all the on-site facilities as well as the adjoining national park.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Castlerosse.