“Castlerosse - a great place to stay, a great value”

Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes
Ranked #30 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Miami, Florida
“Castlerosse - a great place to stay, a great value”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for six nights (July 1 - July 7) and had a great stay. This hotel is great place for families, couples or just anybody. The walk to the edge of the town (St. Mary's Cathedral) is about a 20 minute walk through a paved path through the beautiful Killarney National Park and about another 5 minutes to the main shopping and eating area of the town. If you do not mind the exercise, this is the hotel to be at. As other reviewers have said this hotel offers great views and the rooms in my opinion are decent and well kept. Most of the hotel staff here are very accommodating especially and warmest of them all was Eimear - she was very pleasant at all times. I was also amazed how the staff here multi-tasked - including one of the managers at night who helped in the bar, bought towels to our room and managed the front desk.
The bar staff were also very good too.

I would highly recommend this hotel if you want a change of pace, a nice place to relax. If you prefer not to walk to town you can always ask the front desk to get you a cab (about 10 euros going to town, 8 euros to return depending on traffic).

Room Tip: Rooms on the lake view have a better bathroom - nice counter space to accommodate a cosmetic bag - a...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
MarkBowe, Guest Relations Manager at Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Energyman,
Thank you very much for such a nice review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found time to relax and unwind. There are some many lovely walking paths in the area it is great you took time to appreciate the beauty of the National Park.
I will pass on you kind words to Eimear and the rest of the team, it is much appreciated.

We would live to welcome you back to Killarney and the Castlerosse in the future.

Mark Bowe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Czech first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Just home after a wks stay in The Cottages...overall we were very pleased ,my daughter has asthma so we were delighted with the airiness of the cottage abeit very dated,extremely comfortable beds and lovely fresh bed linen,the kitchen was very well equipped for self catering...we all enjoyed the pool and tennis courts/playground...we only ate once in the bar and found the food menu disappointing,very limited in choice after 6pm...Then theres the issue of Wifi ,or lack of it,we knew we wouldn't have any signal in the cottages but were happy with to use it in the bar/lobby areas,but it was useless,the kids couldn't use their ipods ,we couldn't search local emenities,so many things we take for granted.... I did speak to a manager this morning and he explained that the hotel had increased the Wifi recently to include hotel bedrooms but it had made the issue worse....but again we did have a great stay,lovely staff,beautiful location and a great nights sleep..

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Janet,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Castlerosse. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and especially that it suited your daughter. I spoke to you myself regarding the Wi-Fi and I do apologise about the speed and consistency, we are working with our service provider and hope to have the issue solved shortly.

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I recently dined twice in this hotel and the food is amazing. The surroundings are beautiful with a nice view of Killarney's lake and mountains. I also played on the golf course and finished with a quick swim in the pool. All in all it was a very pleasant experience and very reasonably priced. Although I haven't stayed in the hotel or the self-catering houses yet, based on my experience of the food, golf and overall ambience I would recommend this hotel complex. I don't have any vested interest in the business or know anyone involved in it

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Donal1952
Dear Donal,

Thank you for reviewing your time at the Castlerosse. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your time here from the food, golf and swimming pool. It seems you had a nice relaxing time and were able to recharge the batteries and take in the wonderful setting.

We would look forward to welcoming you back to the Castlerosse again.

Blarney, Ireland
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We had a 3 day stay in a family room which was a suite, with a great view of the mountains. . we dined 3 nights and the food and service every night was very good with the added views of lake it was very enjoyable setting . All the family agreed that it was a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: rooms with a view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear John,

Thank you for your taking time to review your stay with us. I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed your 3 night break.

Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We spent two lovely weeks in the Castlerosse in one of the Woodland Cottages. The staff were very friendly and helpful, particularly Claire, Danielle, Aine and all the Castle Rangers crew in the kiddies club. The cottage was clean, spacious and comfortable and was ideal for us (3 children ranging from 4-8). The walkway around the park was ideal for cycling and walks given it was in from the road. There is a lovely family friendly feel in the hotel and we all felt at home there. We had a meal one night in the hotel which was fine but there is room for improvement. The setting is beautiful but the food could be better. The swimming pool is very well maintained and was used frequently by all! We will be definitely try and return again next year.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ciaran D
MarkBowe, Guest Relations Manager at Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Dear Ciaran,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us on Trip Advisor. We are delighted you enjoyed you stay and we made you feel at home. There is so much to do and the area is ideal for walks, cycling and exploring the National Park with the family. I will pass on your kind words to the team, especially the girls in the Castle Rangers.

Lurgan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

As an annual visitor to Kerry this is certainly a good hotel for a family. The kiddies club can give a welcome breather for parents, there's a play park and tennis court and the location whereby one can walk directly into the national park and enjoy a lovely stroll into the town or roundabout amidst some of the finest scenery in the county and indeed country is great.

However, there are negatives. I cannot speak for the hotel rooms as we have only ever stayed in the cottages/lodges but the latter really really need work done to them. Aside from these cottages/lodges being fairly antiquated at this stage, the suite of furniture is very uncomfortable and small. If you're a lounger on a sofa in front of the TV you can forget it. The bathrooms are poor - think average Ireland hotel circa 1980 and you're close to having the picture. If money were spent in this area I think you could have one of the very best hotels in the wider area. In that sense, they are missing a trick. The argument of course will be collapse of Celtic Tiger etc.. However, the hotel has only ever been packed when I have been there over the past three/four years or so (which perhaps tells you something - people are still going) and the money should be there to spend and should be spent. One small observation though one that I feel may be telling is that the tennis court was locked and access had been obtained through the surrounding wire fence. I can understand the need for the tennis court not being a free for all and that booking may be required but the gaping hole was unsightly and it had not been fixed. Perhaps the hole had just happened but it would not surprise me if it was a lot older as money is not being spent where it should.

The food in the restaurant could do with improvement and two years running now I've heard cursing from the reception area - once each year to be clear. In ordinary everyday life I couldn't care less about cursing but on my summer holiday I prefer not to hear staff grumble with an expletive thrown in. It's not professional and with a lobby area where young children roam freely it surprised me somewhat. The object of the summer holiday is generally to escape the daily stresses of one's working life - not to listen to those of others.

If you're not fussy about your food, if you intend to spend all of the day time out and about (subject to weather!) and therefore aren't too bothered about luxury, if you like not spending an arm and a leg and if you value a great location then this may be the hotel for you. Personally, I may very well go back for these very reasons but it will be with a slight sense of disappointment that more of an effort isn't made. But maybe next year it will!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank barrister1974
MarkBowe, Guest Relations Manager at Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Barrister,
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. I am delighted that you and your family got to enjoy and relax in the beautiful surroundings and even avail of the on-site activities from the “Castel Ranger Kids Club” to tennis.
Regarding refurbishment of the Cottages and Hotel we have plans which we are actually currently undertaking. There was some damage to the fencing on the tennis court which has only been repaired. We also lock the courts and have signage asking guests to contact the leisure centre to reserve a time. We have put this signage up to ensure it is only residents that can avail of the facilities.
Regarding the language from reception, I am very sorry to hear that and I do apologise, I will speak to them personally.
We would love to welcome you back to the Castlerosse again.

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed here for two nights in the beautiful town of Killarney. The location was hopeless - miles from the city centre. While it was possible to walk to the city centre, it involved a good 15-20 minutes hike through a wood near the hotel! The rooms were awfully dated. Using the hotel's email service was quite expensive. Staff not very responsible. Food in the main restaurant was so-so.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel if you are in Killarney. There are many other nice hotels in the city centre.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Cynthia L
MarkBowe, Guest Relations Manager at Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Cynthia,
I was disappointed to read that our location bordering and overlooking the magnificent Killarney National Park, Lough Leane, Tommie’s and Purple Mountain was “hopeless”. As are only located 3 kilometres from Killarney town centre the 20 minute walk through the National Park on a fantastic evenly surfaced tarmac should be enjoyable and relaxing.
The WiFi which is provided throughout the hotel is free of charge for guests however we also have a computer terminal which guests can avail of.
We would love to wlecome you back to the Castleorsse in the future to enjoy the true beauty of Killarney.