Stayed here for one night here and we were very disappointed with the level of service in this hotel. The lady at the reception desk was very friendly when checking in but it went downhill from here. The girl working in the bar was unfriendly and actually quite ignorant. Because of her attitude we decided to eat in the restaurant upstairs instead of the bar where we had planned on eating. Unfortunately, the two waiters in the restaurant were not much better. Before we even sat at our table we knew it was going to be a bad experience. They had no basic manners like welcoming you or even saying good evening. There was nobody else in the restaurant at this stage but yet they seemed put out that we were looking for a table. When we were eventually shown to our table the waiter left 4 menus sitting on the corner of the table and walked away. No such thing as handing each person a menu. It was a set menu for €33 and when we enquired if there was an al la carte, the waiter then proceeded to tell us that we could order al la carte from it. But yet we had to ask him what the breakdown in price was. Surely he should have mentioned this from the outset. When the soup arrived to the table it was barely luke warm so my husband sent it back. However, both of us had the pork for main course and it was excellent, very tender and hot. Another very annoying thing was the wine list. We ordered a bottle of Marques de Riscal for €24 which we thought was good value. However, when the wine arrived we realised that it was not Marques de Riscal at all. It was a wine called Riscal SL which is not in the same league as Marques de Riscal. When we mentioned this to the waiter he said that they use to do Marques de Riscal last year but they have not yet changed their menu. Again this should have been mentioned to us when we ordered it. Breakfast was fine. But why oh why do they have to pile the full Irish breakfast onto what is basically a side plate!!!!!! My sausages were under the bacon on my plate. Surely the hotel can use the dinner plates for breakfast the next morning. The breakfast was nice but just looked like a dogs dinner the way it was served. Having said all that the views did somewhat make up for this.
This hotel has a lot going for it with its stunning views. Unfortunately its staff are letting it down big down. What is extremely disappointing to see is that other reviewers have commented on the very poor level of service in the restaurant and bar and yet it is still the same. My husband summed it up perfectly when he said there would be people dying to have a job there in the current climate that would be more than happy to offer a friendly welcome and good service to guests. If the hotel can sort this they will be guaranteed return custom. Unfortunately for us, it is the service that will put us off returning again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes are located on the lakeside just 2kms from Killarney town, with magnificent views of the Lower Lake and Magillycuddy Mountains. It is in a pristine environment flanked on one side by Killarney National Park and on the other by Killarney Golf & Fishing Club. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, LateRooms, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castlerosse Hotel And Golf Resort
- Castlerosse Hotel & Golf Killarney
- Castlerosse Hotel Killarney
- Hotel Castlerosse