“Just right”

Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes
Ranked #30 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed 29 January 2011

We heading down to Kerry just before Christmas to enjoy Kilarney and the Christmas fest.
The hotel was excellent, great food, lots to do, and the kids even had a great time in the kids club.
We skipped the golf due to the cold cold weather.
All was just right and a great start to the holidays.
Thank you to all the staff, we will be back.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
castlerosse, Guest Relations Manager at Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive response to the Castlerosse Hotel.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay here with us at The Castlerosse.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Castlerosse soon,

Reviewed 2 December 2010

We had had a very pleasant stay (our honeymoon!), enjoyed the golfcourses in the surroundings (Mahonys Point, Killeen, Dooks) and in the evenings splendid dinners and afterwards a Guinness sundowner in the pub. Absolutely marvellous. The location situated next to the National Park is ideal for walking and cycling. The hotel personnel was very helpful at all times.
We'll be back for sure!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ubena
castlerosse, Guest Relations Manager at Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2010

Dear Ubena,

Thank you for taking the time to write your kind review, I am deligted that you and your new spouse enjoyed your honeymoon to Killarney and surrounding areas!

We would love to see you back in the hotel again on your next visit to Ireland,

Reviewed 31 October 2010

We recently returned from a 4 night stay in one of these cottages.
They were lovely and spacious, clean and had everything that you would need.
Kids enjoyed the use of the pool and the playground. Our older daughter also enjoyed the magic show.
I had a facial which I was very disappointed with. Prob the worst I have ever had. The beautician was very nice but talked non stop. Any other facial I have had has been peaceful and relaxing. I got some cream on my face, a few pats on side of my face and head and then before I knew it my hour was up and I was paying a hefty price.
We will definitely return to the self catering but I will avoid the beauty salon.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family

Dear DB19670,

We appreciate you taking the time to write your review. I am delighted you and your family enjoyed your stay with us so much and I apologise for your dissatisfaction with the spa treatment you received. Rest assured we will discuss with the beautician your comments.

We look forward to seeing you and your family back in the Castlerosse in the near future,

Brid o Sullivan

Reviewed 26 October 2010

Just returned from this hotel and we are planning our next stay already. We found this hotel very homely and friendly. The food was very good, the kids club very well run and the views beautiful. I don't know why there are negative review, I just think there is no pleasing some people. This hotel is an excellent base for families. Once the parents can sit and have a chat, a drink and something good to eat and the children are happy . . what more could be asked for. The hotel was spotlessly clean and any staff I dealt with were very nice and helpful. We will definitely be back, but for longer this time.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family

Dear DancingTime,

Thank you for taking to time to write your kind review. I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay so much with us. We endeavor to make each guests stay with us as pleasant and enjoyable as possible and look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Hotel next season,

Brid o Sullivan

Reviewed 22 October 2010

Stayed here for one night here and we were very disappointed with the level of service in this hotel. The lady at the reception desk was very friendly when checking in but it went downhill from here. The girl working in the bar was unfriendly and actually quite ignorant. Because of her attitude we decided to eat in the restaurant upstairs instead of the bar where we had planned on eating. Unfortunately, the two waiters in the restaurant were not much better. Before we even sat at our table we knew it was going to be a bad experience. They had no basic manners like welcoming you or even saying good evening. There was nobody else in the restaurant at this stage but yet they seemed put out that we were looking for a table. When we were eventually shown to our table the waiter left 4 menus sitting on the corner of the table and walked away. No such thing as handing each person a menu. It was a set menu for €33 and when we enquired if there was an al la carte, the waiter then proceeded to tell us that we could order al la carte from it. But yet we had to ask him what the breakdown in price was. Surely he should have mentioned this from the outset. When the soup arrived to the table it was barely luke warm so my husband sent it back. However, both of us had the pork for main course and it was excellent, very tender and hot. Another very annoying thing was the wine list. We ordered a bottle of Marques de Riscal for €24 which we thought was good value. However, when the wine arrived we realised that it was not Marques de Riscal at all. It was a wine called Riscal SL which is not in the same league as Marques de Riscal. When we mentioned this to the waiter he said that they use to do Marques de Riscal last year but they have not yet changed their menu. Again this should have been mentioned to us when we ordered it. Breakfast was fine. But why oh why do they have to pile the full Irish breakfast onto what is basically a side plate!!!!!! My sausages were under the bacon on my plate. Surely the hotel can use the dinner plates for breakfast the next morning. The breakfast was nice but just looked like a dogs dinner the way it was served. Having said all that the views did somewhat make up for this.

This hotel has a lot going for it with its stunning views. Unfortunately its staff are letting it down big down. What is extremely disappointing to see is that other reviewers have commented on the very poor level of service in the restaurant and bar and yet it is still the same. My husband summed it up perfectly when he said there would be people dying to have a job there in the current climate that would be more than happy to offer a friendly welcome and good service to guests. If the hotel can sort this they will be guaranteed return custom. Unfortunately for us, it is the service that will put us off returning again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank hollie2

Dear Hollie2,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review, I am very sorry to hear you did not enjoy your time here at the Castlerosse. I regret that you found our staff unhelpful in the Bar and Restaurant we do however provide both a dinner menu and full A La Carte Menu in our Restaurant with a complete price listing and am sorry you were not given this option on request.

I hope that your stay here did not upset your trip to Killarney, I apologise on behalf of the general manger, and can assure you I have brought his attention to your review,

Reviewed 24 September 2010

Just returned from our third stay at the Castleross Hotel. We were on a golden oldies 4 night break, which we organised ourselves. The hotel is located approx 2 km from Killarney on the N72 to Killorglin and adjoins the Killarney Golf & Fishing Club where the 2010 Irish Open was recently held.
The hotel has its own 9 hole golf course and is in a wonderful elevated position overlooking the lakes of Killarney and the mountains. We had a good size bedroom with a double and a singe bed (very comfertable) overlooking the golf course and the lakes. The bathroom was also a good size and there was plenty of shelf space for toiletres etc.
The dining room is at first floor level and enjoys wonderful views over the golf course lakes and mountains. Breakfasts and the 4 course dinners were excellent and the dinner menu changes every evening which is great as many hotels don't do this any more. The choice of food was good with something to suit everybody and was well cooked. A bar food menu is available throughout the day. Free wirless Wifi is available in the bar. We did not use the leisure cenrte which is located at lower ground floor level.
There are 39 attractive self catering two bedroom chalets and golf lodges adjacent to the hotel and there are good walks in the hotel grounds.
The staff are friendly and very efficient and the manager Mr Bowe runs a tight ship and is very much a hands on manager. The golden oldies sessions which the hotel runs in April/May and Sept/ Oct are very poupular and it is advisable to book a table for dinner if you like to eat early as the dining room fills early. The hotel puts on events such as beauty demonstration, flower arranging music in the evenings and a free bus tour to the Gap of Dunloe and Muckross House/Killarney National Park.
The hotel gets a lot of repeat business from golden oldies, golfers and families in the self catering cottages. I am at a loss to understand why the hotel is only ranked 32 out of 40 hotels in Killanrey on Trip Advisor, I think that it is probably that the last review of this hotel date back to 2006/2007. We will certainly be returning again next year.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David'snews
castlerosse, Guest Relations Manager at Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2010

Dear David's News,

Thank you for taking the time to write your kind review of the Castlerosse. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and had such a relaxing time.

We have been organising Golden Breaks in the Spring and Autumn for 15 years now and they are more popular than ever, with a huge amount of repeat business as you have noticed!

We look forward to seeing you in the Castlerosse again next year,

Triona Hickey

Reviewed 9 August 2010

Stayed last week on a 3 day midweek break at this Hotel and all I can say it that they have the product 100% right. We stayed in the main hotel which has excellent views of the lower lake and is surrounded by a lovely little 9 hole golf course. The food for Breakfast was excellent however if you want to avoid the rush I recommend you get up early. For dinner we were treated to a 5 course meal included in or package where the portions were spot on not too much and not too little just right. As for the staff nothing was too much trouble.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
castlerosse, Guest Relations Manager at Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2010

Dear AmericanPaddy,

Thank you for writing your kind review of the Castlerosse Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us so much,

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Castlerosse Hotel again in the very near future,

Triona Hickey