“Exceptional Service and next to a VERY fun pub!”

Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
Ranked #14 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
San Francisco, California
“Exceptional Service and next to a VERY fun pub!”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Upon arrival, we were warmly welcomed. The staff even offered steaming hot cloths at reception for us to freshen up. Nice touch. We were shown to our room by a very helpful bellman who took our bags for us. The rooms are lovely, comfortable, and very clean. It's a bit old, but then again - it's a classic hotel with exceptional service and kept up nicely. The Pub next door was awesome. Live Irish music, great food, reasonable prices, and very memorable. Across the street is the national park, Muckross Abbey and other sites that can be seen via numerous walking trails or "Jaunting Cars" (horse drawn buggies). Very cool. :) LOVE IT!

1 Thank LSFMGR

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
County Kerry, Ireland
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Having been to the Cloisters Spa at the Muckross Park Hotel during the summer I said at the time it would be a real treat to stay in the hotel also which is what my best friend and I did just recently. We got a 2 nights B & B, 1 Dinner and Afternoon tea package deal. It’s a beautiful hotel and walking into reception certainly has the “Wow” factor but I was disappointed that didn’t follow through into our room and also the restaurant. Our room was quite small but lovely and only for the fact that it had an exposed stone wall on one side it was really just like any other hotel room. There was nothing in it that would make you stand back and say “Wow”! which is what I expected from a five star hotel. The beds were comfortable but the bedding was just average and not at all luxurious enough for a five star. There was a very old telly the like of which I haven’t seen in a long time. Robes were thin and coarse.

Ted the porter was lovely and chatty as was Shane in reception who always spoke to us when we passed and also let us avail of the internet service which is free to guests in the business room.

The restaurant was too bright with no atmosphere, no dimmed lights at all so no level of intimacy whatsoever. The menu wasn’t to our taste at all, poor choice I thought and way too much fish, very small portions, maybe that’s what 5 star dining is all about but I wouldn’t eat there again if saying here. The menu in Molly Darcy’s is much more to my taste. We ordered the cornfed chicken and when we asked what came with it we were told “2 very small potatoes.” When I asked about veg the waitress looked aghast and said she would have to order them from the bar which sounded like she would have to go out into the fields and dig them herself! The chicken was dry with a horrible mayonnaise type sauce with it and yes, the two tiny potatoes. The dessert though was lovely as I’m a huge dessert fan and this didn’t disappoint. The different charges for proscecco maddened me, we had a glass with our dinner at a charge of €8.50 per glass!! (which I only discovered the price of when we were checking out) and it advertised having one with your afternoon tea at €6 and we were charged €7. The waiter andreas was very nice and when he asked us if he could recommend a wine he pointed out about 7 of them and told us all about the areas the wine came from, the acidity, the colour etc so it was quite distracting and way too much information! Excellent choice for breakfast. Trish was just lovely. Afternoon tea was lovely but again lots of fish variety in the sandwiches but a friend who had been here recently recommended that we ask for just chicken, ham, salad instead which we did. The little cakes/pastries were very nice except for the 2 big cakes one was carrot I think, not sure about the other but very dry and tasteless so they were left. Also not the advertised clotted cream just the ordinary stuff which was disappointing. I know it sounds as if I’m picky but I’m not at all, I just expect to get 5 star when I pay 5 star prices.

Monks bar is just lovely with a huge open fire you could stay there all day.

Our experience in the Spa was second to none and without doubt the best part of our stay. We had a package deal of full body exfoliation, full body massage and facial with a 2 course lunch. Our therapists Sabrina and Sarah were just lovely and the treatments were incredible, I've never "zoned out" as much before when getting a treatment. I asked for Sabrina as I had her at my first visit and what a massage I got! Such a great down to earth person who has recently been promoted to Spa Manager which is no surprise. The autumn package we got though as regards lunch we expected to be eating in the bar with bar food but we were given a menu with 3 choices of yet again, 2 fish dishes of crab claws and salmon or a salad which didn’t appeal to us at all but also you can have the option of afternoon tea so for anyone availing of this I’d skip the lunch part if possible.

Overall we had a lovely stay and would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank bonniegirl08
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Back from two nights at the weekend. great staff so helpful and friendly!! each and every one! the breakfast was great huge choice!went to molls one night it had nice pub grub :-) hotel room was warm with a clean bathroom and comfy bed! lots of tv channels too!!

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Sergggg01
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 3 November 2013

My wife and I spent a night at this hotel 5 weeks before our third child was born, and the service was fantastic. From the moment we arrived we were made feel welcome, even by the housekeeping staff, we enjoyed the faculties of the hotel and the food was excellent. Would highly recommended the Muckross Park Hotel to everyone.

1 Thank Henry D
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

Wonderful experience from start to finish.

From the moment we entered this stunning hotel, we were treated like royalty! We chose this hotel based on the excellent reviews it received here on TripAdvisor. The staff (hotel, spa and restaurants) were just incredible; so attentive and so obliging. They shared their time willingly with us - never rushed and nothing was ever too much.

Our room was incredible: spacious, comfortable and, above all, immaculately clean.

The food was delicious - we dined in both the bar and restaurant. The restaurant (food and table service) was particularly amazing.

The Cloisters Spa was pure indulgence! I thoroughly enjoyed my pregnancy treatments as did my husband...completely relaxed after his back massage.

We never actually left the hotel during our two-night stay - we enjoyed everything it had to offer, including its roaring open fires.

I can only describe this hotel as a little piece of heaven; a haven for couples, especially tired parents on well-deserved breaks ;)

We look forward to returning to celebrate our sixth wedding anniversary!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rnidhubhda
Stokesdale, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 November 2013

After arriving by car from Dublin, the first leg of our trip, it was with great relief(after our left hand driving experience) we arrived at the Muckross Park Hotel We were warmly greeted and welcomed by Ted, the concierge. All the staff were helpful and friendly. During our 3 night stay we ate twice at Molly Darcy's which was good ,took a bus tour of the Ring of Kerry, visited Killarney, and walked the gorgeous grounds of Muckross House. I also had a spa treatment in the fabulous Cloisters Spa that was luxurious. We had lots of great advice from Ted who never steered us wrong. This hotel is not located in Killarney proper but for us this was a plus since we had such great service and did not want for a thing.

Room Tip: It was very quiet at this hotel and the only thing I would change about the room was it overlooked a...